Three Things I Noticed Today

Southsacfalcon

1. Matt Ryan didn't do his normal run outside the pocket and throw the ball away, he stepped up in the pocket, rolled out the pocket and made plays. You can see the difference in his pocket awareness and playmaking ability.

2. Gabe Carimi came in and played left tackle without a problem, got some help, and held his own. I was so impressed with him, our online, and protection schemes.

3. Defense did something it didn't do last year. They made some big plays! Gave up a lot but, mcclains interception on the goalline was huge, and willy mo's strong tackle won us the game with a fumble. Remember you guys, this is how we win!

Trufant and Alford both made some big plays in coverage. yeah I know Alf had a couple of those ticky tack PI calls, but for the most part, our corners played lights out.

Wasn't it Trufant who had a quote a few days back that they needed to step up and make some plays? well, they did

1. Matt Ryan didn't do his normal run outside the pocket and throw the ball away, he stepped up in the pocket, rolled out the pocket and made plays. You can see the difference in his pocket awareness and playmaking ability.

It helps when you have a POCKET, instead of a bunch of opposing team players in your face 2 seconds after the snap. The biggest signing of the off-season was Jon Asamoah. It is because of Asamoah that Ryan had the ability to step up into the pocket and then move around. With the crap fest that we had on the line last year, Ryan would not have been able to do what he did today.

I think everybody was impressed with how Matt extended plays today. He refused to lose today and I think everyone else fed off that.

Carimi killed that one drive with the false start and sack but he bounced back. I think Tice is really making a difference in the oline this year.

Without sugar coating anything our defense sucked today. The two turnovers we got were huge but for the most part the saints did whatever they wanted. They made a play when we needed it most though.

It helps when you have a POCKET, instead of a bunch of opposing team players in your face 2 seconds after the snap. The biggest signing of the off-season was Jon Asamoah. It is because of Asamoah that Ryan had the ability to step up into the pocket and then move around. With the crap fest that we had on the line last year, Ryan would not have been able to do what he did today.

I agree with you but, even before last season Matt Ryan was purely a timing QB. If you threw off our timing it was a incomplete or throw away. Today he looked totally different with that aspect of his game. He made me very proud

re-watching the game now and Asamoah, Blalock & Hawley were fricken balling. Toilolo is blocking his A off too, thought he couldn't block? Holmes and Carimi held up well. it's scary to think they played this well with the injury and not really gelling as a unit. if they keep improving this offense is gonna be stupid

Yeah, Asamoah is a monster. That is one big strong RG. Was definitely one of the best signings.

Also the emergence of Joe Brawley. Dude was a baller today too.

re-watching the game now and Asamoah, Blalock & Hawley were fricken balling. Toilolo is blocking his A off too, thought he couldn't block? Holmes and Carimi held up well. it's scary to think they played this well with the injury and not really gelling as a unit. if they keep improving this offense is gonna be stupid

I love how resilient Holmes is, seeing as how our 2 LTs are hurt and Holmes is on the field for us week in and week out. Technique and conditioning can be coached. Resiliency and toughness can't. This guy can be a solid player for us.

I love how resilient Holmes is, seeing as how our 2 LTs are hurt and Holmes is on the field for us week in and week out. Technique and conditioning can be coached. Resiliency and toughness can't. This guy can be a solid player for us.

I saw him get beat on a play, then just as Jordan was about to smash Ryan, he recovered and took him out preventing the hit. how could you hate on that?

I saw him get beat on a play, then just as Jordan was about to smash Ryan, he recovered and took him out preventing the hit. how could you hate on that?

Believe me, SB and Bawse have been doing it. They've been mentioning a few plays Holmes gave up pressure and neglecting when Carimi and Jake gave up pressure v

I think everybody was impressed with how Matt extended plays today. He refused to lose today and I think everyone else fed off that.

Carimi killed that one drive with the false start and sack but he bounced back. I think Tice is really making a difference in the oline this year.

Without sugar coating anything our defense sucked today. The two turnovers we got were huge but for the most part the saints did whatever they wanted. They made a play when we needed it most though.

I blame Blaylock as much as Carimi for that sack. Yes, Carimi got toasted on the play. But Blaylock was standing there looking around and trying to figure out who to block. Maybe they were running some sort of zone scheme, I don't know. But it looked to me like Blaylock was either supposed to chip with the C or swing out and help on the edge. He did neither, and ended up standing there with his pud in his hand while Ryan got smashed.

I'm pretty far from an o-line guru, so maybe someone can explain to me what I was seeing. I just find it hard to believe that they schemed in such a way to have 1 guy standing there blocking no one while another guy gets blown up and the QB gets sacked.

The d played pretty decent on 1st and 2nd down... those 3rd downs is what killed us

Truth be told our defense didn't look good. Had we lost the game (which we almost did) it would have been all on the defense being unable to make a stop.

Provided the aints have one of the best offenses we will face, we just couldn't get pressure up front.