Chris Collinsworth On Ryan And The Falcons

fuego

Not a lot, but on SNF:

Bob Costas: Now, how about the Atlanta Falcons who were almost an unbelievable 4-12 a year ago, and even when they have been very good in recent years they've had trouble head to head in the division against the Saints. Big win for them. Exciting overtime game in Atlanta.

Chris Collinsworth: ...Matt Ryan was the best I've ever seen him.

Bob: 448.

Chris: This is a team coming off a 4-12 season couldn't start the year at home against their rival and Drew Brees and blow a lead and expect the season to get turned around. Matt Ryan was getting out of the pocket; he was mobile; he was doing things I haven't seen him do, This was his best performance and maybe the biggest game this season the Falcons will play.

And give me props for transcribing this from the DVR for you knuckleheads. dry.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lot, but on SNF:

Bob Costas: Now, how about the Atlanta Falcons who were almost an unbelievable 4-12 a year ago, and even when they have been very good in recent years they've had trouble head to head in the division against the Saints. Big win for them. Exciting overtime game in Atlanta.

Chris Collinsworth: ...Matt Ryan was the best I've ever seen him.

Bob: 448.

Chris: This is a team coming off a 4-12 season couldn't start the year at home against their rival and Drew Brees and blow a lead and expect the season to get turned around. Matt Ryan was getting out of the pocket; he was mobile; he was doing things I haven't seen him do, This was his best performance and maybe the biggest game this season the Falcons will play.

And give me props for transcribing this from the DVR for you knuckleheads. dry.png

agree w/ Collinsworth and "Quarterback/TATF" in another messageboard topic - it was not just the completions, yardage and TDs - Matt did not give up and bail on bad plays today the way he has in the past - he took chikin sheot in some plays, scrambled around in or out of the pocket - and made some delicious chicken salad!

No TG...which is a good thing.

I agree. I think Tony G. was actually a hinderance to Matt's development - he was kind of like lil' Matt's "blankie" or "pacie" - when he got in trouble he always went there or was to quick to look to Tony on the 10yd button hook.

I see this as a plus for Matt that Tony G. is gone.

I said it in another thread somewhere this is the best I have ever seen him play. It is all because of the scrambling and continuing to look downfield and make an accurate throw.

Generally my biggest complaint about Ryan is pocket mobility. He generally bails backwards 10yds and throws it into the stands. He didn't do that today. He looked more like D. Brees. Maybe we just happened to have open receivers on that side of the field today, but he was great.

Matt was shifting around in the pocket and didnt look to rush a check down at all. Was that a product of better protection or is he more comfortable sliding around now?

Absolutely more comfortable. He's now able to keep his eyes down field while still being able to avoid oncoming rushers. This didn't just happen this game. Matt began to improve sharply in his mobility and scrambling last season. A lot of fun to watch him handle a tough Saints rush with his feet and pick them apart with his arm. When Matt started moving around back there and getting some completions Rob Ryan and that Stank defense knew they were in for a bad effing day at the office.

Does nobody remember 2008 when Matt Ryan showed great pocket mobility and the ability to extend plays and still make a play down the field with the ball? I guess I'm the only one that remembers all those plays from 2008. Sliding a couple steps to his left and laying it out there to Michael Jenkins for a TD against Oakland. Rolling outside the pocket and throwing an absolute laser to Jenkins while on the run. Backpedding and lofting a beautiful ball to Roddy against the Saints. The head over heels TD run against the Vikings. Where you guys at?

Does nobody remember 2008 when Matt Ryan showed great pocket mobility and the ability to extend plays and still make a play down the field with the ball? I guess I'm the only one that remembers all those plays from 2008. Sliding a couple steps to his left and laying it out there to Michael Jenkins for a TD against Oakland. Rolling outside the pocket and throwing an absolute laser to Jenkins while on the run. Backpedding and lofting a beautiful ball to Roddy against the Saints. The head over heels TD run against the Vikings. Where you guys at?

Yea but he was nothing like this. He really grew up to me today. A lot of it has to do with he's trusting his line too. The interior was the best I've ever seen it I believe.

He wasn't dodging defenders like he did today bro...Ryan was on something else.

This was coached out of him by Mike Mularkey. He started going to check downs and throwing the ball away. But the play calling might have necessitated this as MM absolutely sucked. Glad to see him doing this again.

Once they settled down they really looked like they can't be stopped. We will be a force this season. Few teams are loaded like we are on offense. If we can get a bit more pass rush omg!!!

We are going to have to win with this offense and we just need to be able to stop the run. I thunk think if it was any other qb we would have seen more blitzing