Whats. Gotten Into Matt Ryan?

I know it's just game one but this offense is starting to look special. I did not expect the performance by the O line against a defense that had something like 8 sacks and 16 pressures against us last season. Either the Saints defense is not as good as advertised or this offense led by Matt Ryan may just live up to the greatest show on turf billing by Roddy

I've been saying for a year now that last year and the adversity it created and what a humbling experience it was for a great QB used to winning was exactly what he needed. It started to show at the end of last year. He was visibly angry, started talking over team meetings, and just flat out didn't like losing. It opened up something inside him and it was noticeable instantly. Was great to see he built on that and showed just how determined he truly is. He took that game over.

I have said even late last season Matt Ryan is becoming much more comfortable moving around in the pocket, or even rolling out to buy some time or escape the rush. This has been a weak part of Ryan's game. I'm sure he was aware of it, but I'm also sure he would rather have not had quite so many real-game plays to become more proficient at dealing with a strong rush on almost every down. But now this season, he's ready to move a little bit if he needs to, he has a budding running game, his weapons are back, a couple of extra weapons have been added, and oh yeah, the OL is showing signs of growing a set.

For help with that and for general contributions to the cause, I want to throw out some props to Mike Tice. The OL held off the Saints rush extremely well, even after Matthews left the game fairly early on. As soon as I saw that I assumed it was all over but the crying for the Falcons. Very encouraging to see we actually now have some depth on the line. Shaking my head in wonder. Gonna be a wonderful week.

Jon Asamoah. That's what has gotten into Matt Ryan. Last year, if Matt tried stepping up, he was stepping into a sack. This year, with a bolstered interior OL, he has the ability to step up and buy time. Once he steps up, he has the option of moving outside, as the outside rusher has gone up the field and past the pocket. This is basic football. Our OL was complete garbage last year. It's not garbage anymore.

Jon Asamoah. That's what has gotten into Matt Ryan. Last year, if Matt tried stepping up, he was stepping into a sack. This year, with a bolstered interior OL, he has the ability to step up and buy time. Once he steps up, he has the option of moving outside, as the outside rusher has gone up the field and past the pocket. This is basic football. Our OL was complete garbage last year. It's not garbage anymore.

Yea I mean I was screaming this from the rooftops for a while when people were questioning MR's ability - an OL changes everything

Ryan showed more elusiveness in the pocket today than he ever has - his footwork was tremendous, able to slide in and out of trouble but remain in a position to throw the ball downfield. The OL looked better because Ryan was moving better.

And....he was able to make throws while not firmly planted. Some really nice throws today.

If anything I though Ryan looked a little bigger and more lean

I think Ryan has always been a mobile QB not a runner but a guy who can extend plays if needed but that's hard to do if pressure is coming up the middle which in the past seemed to be a lot.

Have the ability to step up in the pocket and slide left or right makes a huge difference Asamoah might be the biggest off season get because when he plays well it takes a ton if pressure off Homles who can get help with chips and doubles now but also looked good today.