Great Win, But We Will Not Win A Sb With Smith At Helm

dmo_dlo

This was a great game, despite Smith not because of him. He showed again and again today that he is mediocre. Head coaches are too important in today's game (as we saw during the bounty-gate and with Payton) to win a SB with a mediocre one.

This is what really drove me crazy today:

1- 4th and 1 punt: I understand that's the smart thing to do in situational football at that point, and also that we ended up intercepting Brees. But your statue of a QB had just put his body on the line, scrambled by risking himself, and is playing at the highest level, the team has all the momentum, and you send then to the sideline? I don't know, but that is the conventional, scared call that we have always seen from Smith.

2- Goal-line at the end of the game: They are inside 1, and have a first, with 1:40 left, and you pick this time to make a goal-line stand!! Just let them walk in and give Ryan more time and time-outs. He took away 2 TOs and 20 seconds away from Ryan.

3- And then that embarrassing final series after the fumble recovery in OT: Do I really need to say anything? really? You play for a 52 yard FG? That's the definition of mediocre and scared, and part of me is sad that this wins will make him claim that he played it right.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No problems with the 1st 2. You punt in your own territory on 4th and 1 at that point in the game.

The defense could have made a stop you never know. A fumble, offsides, holding, any of that could have happened.

The OT drive was bad. Ok with running the ball, but the formations without White/Jones were terrible.We should have tried to get some yards. A 52 yd FG in no gimme. Matt Bryant is clutch though. Going to hate it when he retires.

This was a great game, despite Smith not because of him. He showed again and again today that he is mediocre. Head coaches are too important in today's game (as we saw during the bounty-gate and with Payton) to win a SB with a mediocre one.

This is what really drove me crazy today:

1- 4th and 1 punt: I understand that's the smart thing to do in situational football at that point, and also that we ended up intercepting Brees. But your statue of a QB had just put his body on the line, scrambled by risking himself, and is playing at the highest level, the team has all the momentum, and you send then to the sideline? I don't know, but that is the conventional, scared call that we have always seen from Smith.

2- Goal-line at the end of the game: They are inside 1, and have a first, with 1:40 left, and you pick this time to make a goal-line stand!! Just let them walk in and give Ryan more time and time-outs. He took away 2 TOs and 20 seconds away from Ryan.

3- And then that embarrassing final series after the fumble recovery in OT: Do I really need to say anything? really? You play for a 52 yard FG? That's the definition of mediocre and scared, and part of me is sad that this wins will make him claim that he played it right.

Book extra appointments with your therapist....tell him we said you're an idiot.

You reference Payton. So, what did you think about the game he called. How many 4th downs did he go for? Brees was having his way with our defense all day. Why did he bother with FG's at all?

Everything you complained about can be said about Payton in this game except there's one BIG difference. Payton was coaching the team that lost. Smith was coaching the team that won. Period.

The funny part is that all the great fans above would have asked for Smith's head if Bryant had missed the tying FG, but now Smith is a perfect coach. Oh boy!

And if we would have gotten stuffed on 4th and 1? Smith has gone for it plenty of times on 4th and 1, including 2011 in OT vs. the Saints with pretty much the same field position. That turned out great didn't it?

Everything you said was incorrect. The only negative, was the play calls on the last drive in OT. but guess what? Smith doesn't call them! Please don't make these stupid proclamations that we need another Coach to win a SB.

I even disagree witht he calls at the end of the game. If you throw it up you risk the INT and possibly loosing the game. Just Run it as you are already into Bryant's range. Perfect call!

I say give the defense a few more weeks before throwing in the towel on them. There's a lot of new parts and the saints have an excellent offense.

Amen. They didn't face your typical offense. It was drew freaking brees and all of his new offensive toys. They held just enough for Matt Ryan to enter boss mode. Close enough by me.