Gumbo

Durrtay

All kidding aside, Kevo's link is a good one. Just get everything you can as fresh as you can. That is probably the biggest secret of all. And don't worry, in spite of rumors to the contrary, Gumbo isn't that hard to make, it's just time consuming with a lot of hurry up and wait. I've got a pretty easy, tasty recipe somewhere around here that I looked for with no luck. If you still need a recipe or just want another one to have handy I will post it as soon as I find it.

(And if you want to cheat a whole lot and you don't live anywhere close to someone who would know the difference you can buy pre-made roux and use canned stock. Please burn this after reading). Andouille is the best, but if you can't get that make sure you get a good smoked sausage. And the TRINITY is always the TRINITY, 2/3 onion to 1/3 green pepper to 1/3 celery. Hope this helps some and will find my recipe as soon as I can.

(Did no one notice my play on words? Rue to roux. Alas, I did not get to say the falcons will make you rue whilst you make the roux)

Edited by NawlinsLady

All kidding aside, Kevo's link is a good one. Just get everything you can as fresh as you can. That is probably the biggest secret of all. And don't worry, in spite of rumors to the contrary, Gumbo isn't that hard to make, it's just time consuming with a lot of hurry up and wait. I've got a pretty easy, tasty recipe somewhere around here that I looked for with no luck. If you still need a recipe or just want another one to have handy I will post it as soon as I find it.

(And if you want to cheat a whole lot and you don't live anywhere close to someone who would know the difference you can buy pre-made roux and use canned stock. Please burn this after reading). Andouille is the best, but if you can't get that make sure you get a good smoked sausage. And the TRINITY is always the TRINITY, 2/3 onion to 1/3 green pepper to 1/3 celery. Hope this helps some and will find my recipe as soon as I can.

(Did no one notice my play on words? Rue to roux. Alas, I did not get to say the falcons will make you rue whilst you make the roux)

Glad to see this; I was about ready to spank you... a Nawlins Lady who doesn't spell "roux" correctly!!?

Anyway, I learned long ago that Gumbo without two key things... shrimp stock and PROPER roux... is trash. So if you don't want your gumbo to be trash, buy shrimp with the peels on, peel them and boil the shells with trinity veg, bay leaf, salt and peppercorns for about 1/2 hour. The best way to make roux I've found is in the oven. Equal parts canola oil and flour, baked at 400 degrees for about an hour and a half, stirring every 10 minutes or so after the first half hour. I discard any extra oil that forms on the top once the roux is at a dark peanut butter stage... almost the color of Nutella, but DON'T let that shyte burn!!!!! That's why the oven method works so well... a lot more forgiving than the stovetop method. Another hint... add your okra at the same time you add your shrimp... at the very end with about five minutes left, and you won't get that slimy texture that turns many people off of it.