2015 Dream Draft

hjerry

Alright, so first, a little disclaimer: This first mock draft is based entirely on the preseason, before any of our games in the Regular season, so it thus isn’t based many projections of who may improve. I tried to base it off of what I see now. I’d also like to add that my FA additions are based off of a projected 142 million 2015 cap. When you look at the 2014 increase and expected projections, I don’t think that is that far off. It may even be higher. I’m also assuming that we’ll have at least 3 million in rollover from 2014, since we currently have over 5 million left to spend on added depth, when there are injuries.

Cuts: Justin Blalock (3.79 saved), Steven Jackson (3.75 saved), Harry Douglas (3.5 saved), Jonathan Babineaux (2,333,332 saved), Sam Baker (Post-June 1 cut, 4.5 reduction on June 1)

I’d like to note first, that I seriously considered cutting Hester as well, and replacing him with Reedy, who was a good returner during the PS. The only reason that I didn’t was b/c I thought that was too much of a turnover at the position. Harry got the axe, mostly b/c of his higher cap number. Extending Harry, to lower his cap number, and then releasing Hester, could also be an option. These moves (not counting Baker) would create roughly an additional 13.2 in cap space. Adding in the rollover, plus even a possible Julio extension to lower his 10.75 cap hit, to the already estimated roughly 32 million in cap space (based on the 142 number), this could leave us with at least 45 million in cap space, before signing our own FAs (The Julio extension would more than cover any escalators). That is where I am starting from.

Resigns:

Osi Umenyora - Still solid as the DPR, good role/mentor

Sean Weatherspoon - Don’t flame me on this one, mentor, solid when healthy, however 1yr Corey Peters type deal only

Matt Bryant - one year deals for as long as he’s still solid

Corey Peters - strong run defender, decent pass rusher, versatile

One of the NBs - one should be resigned, whoever is better this season

Antone Smith - cheap, explosive in right situation, solid ST player

Matt Bosherno explanation neccesary

Eric Weems - keep him around as long as he continues to excel at ST

Josh Harris (RFA)

Drew Davis (RFA) - same as Weems

Gabe Carimimixed feelings, see how he plays this season

I see these moves as costing us no more than 18 million, at the most, against the 2015 cap, if that much. Honestly, I consider that on the high side. That leaves us with anywhere from 28-32 million probably, entering 2015 FA.

2015 Free Agents:

Charles Johnson DE Panthers- But wait! The internet cried in response, Johnson isn’t a FA. Just wait, I assure you, he will be. Go and take a quick look at the Panthers’ 2015 cap situation. They are in some serious trouble, and not just b/c they are over. They don’t really anyone to cut to free up room. The only real option is to cut Johnson. They can’t really restructure him either, since they already did that once before. Add to that, the fact that they just drafted Ealy who was heavily compared to Charles Johnson, and I think that the writing is on the wall. Johnson is still good, and come in and play multiple positions for us on the DL.

Mike Iupati OG 49ers We need a new LG to replace the consistent, but never great Blalock, who I just released. Iupati certainly fits the bill, and I don’t see the 49ers resigning him. They’ve been drafting a lot of OGs lately,most recently Brandon Thomas, who would be a great LG for them. Then, with all the other OL, that they’ve had to pay, I just see him as getting away.

Eric Berry S Chiefsand again, the internet cried out, he’s not a FA either. Again, well sort of. You see Berry’s last year is voidable. It’s set up so that he can choose to become a FA in 2015, if he so desires, and with the Chiefs needing to devote their attention to Justin Houston, I see one of them getting away. I see them keeping two of the three of Berry, Houston, and Tamba Hali, who could be cut to keep the other two. Any combo would be good for us, since we can just pick up, whichever one gets away. In this scenario, I’m saying that one is Berry, who could immediately upgrade our secondary. Rahim Moore is another solid option here, if this is deemed unfeasible.

Jason Worilds OLB SteelersYep, another pass rusher. Honestly, I didn’t really want to do this. It’s just that, the more that I looked at our needs, how much money we had, and what was available in FA, I just couldn’t argue that this wasn’t the most efficient use of our funds. I will note, that Avril, Orakpo, and Sheard, were also considered here, but I see Worilds as being the most likely to get away from his current team, considering how cap strapped the Steelers are. We’ll just have to wait and see for what actually happens.

2015 Dream Draft

1st:

Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia

Height: 6-1 Weight: 226

Projected 40 Time: 4.49

I didn’t want to do this, really I didn’t. OK, so that’s somewhat of a lie, as at least part of me totally wanted to do this. First let me make clear, that I am well aware of how unrealistic this is, but it’s the first mock of the season, before any games have been played, and I’d like to have some fun. It is a dream draft after all. Gurley, obviously, is a beast, and needs no real explanation. As for why he’s here? Well, as I stated earlier, the more that I looked at what was available, and what we needed, the more that it made more sense to get the pass rush in FA, and up our skill positions in the draft. I have been absolutely adamant against FA RBs, and I’m not changing that stance now. Even after doing that, however, it was still down to a WR or a RB in round one. I ultimately went this route, b/c, while I could find viable WRs, that I thought would work, in round 2, I could not find the same with RBs, unless we were picking very high. The RBs being mocked there, just aren’t what we need, imo. So, I went ahead and did it. Again, I recognize, that, barring a trade, we’re probably not getting Gurley, but I’m having a little fun here. As for who would make sense here, Mike Davis would be a nice addition, imo.

2nd:

Kasen Williams, WR, Washington

Height: 6-2 Weight: 216

Projected 40 Time: 4.55

When I watch Williams, I see Roddy. Don’t take that too far. I am in no way, saying that he’s as good as Roddy, or that he will be, but I see the same style of play. Not what Roddy was, but rather what he is now. Williams is a solid possession receiver. He doesn’t win with speed, but by blocking out his opponent, and running good routes. Speaking of blocking, he’s also a very good blocker, which we all know this franchise values. If you’re wondering who I’d have gone with, if I had went WR in the 1st, it’d probably have been Sammie Coates, who I expect to be very good in the NFL.

3rd:

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame

Height: 6-5 Weight: 254

Projected 40 Time: 4.75

We’re going to need a blocking TE, to replace Bear Pascoe. I believe that Koyack could fit that bill nicely. He’s not as impressive as my locking TE crush last year, Fiedorowicz, but he’s still impressive, none the less. He also has some good potential as a pass catcher.

4th:

Bernard Blake, CB, Colorado St

Height: 6-0 Weight: 185

Projected 40 Time: 4.52

Some CB depth

5th:

Norkeithus Otis, OLB, UNC

Height: 6-1 Weight: 240

Projected 40 Time: 4.73

Someone to take over Kroy Bierman’s “joker” role. He already plays something similar at UNC.

6th:

Trayion Durham, FB, Kent St

Height: 6-1 Weight: 248

Projected 40 Time: 4.79

We need a better FB

7th: From Rams

Junior Salt, OG, Utah

Height: 6-2 Weight: 315

Projected 40 Time: 5.24

OL depth

7th:

Jahwan Edwards, RB, Ball St

Height: 5-10 Weight: 219

Projected 40 Time: 4.58

More competition at RB

Remember that this is my DREAM draft. I know that a lot of this is unlikely, but for now, any of this is still possible. I’m still using mostly NFLDRAFTSCOUT and Walterfootball for my stock rankings since they usually are about as close as can be come draft day, but I also supplement with a number of other sites combined with my own, albeit a lot of times flawed, analysis.

I would probably **** myself if this happened. Especially with free agent signings like that. Really like your first 3 picks too.

Yeah, this'd be really tight, even with the cap predictions. That's why I listed some alternatives as well. Same with Gurley, if he stays healthy, he'll probably go top 10. Mike Davis would be a fine consolation prize though.

I don't see C. Johnson as a great fit in our D now; I could see either Orakpo or Houston being ultra priority to sign tho'. Worilds is a nice option too. After that, the Iupati signing would be uber bonus.

The draft picks are all sensible and might work. Good job.

I wanted to include 2 pass rushers, and I couldn't see us nabbing both Worilds and Orakpo. I also don't think that we could afford that, as I see Orakpo costing significantly more. It might be feasible, if we signed Rahim Moore instead of Berry though. As for Johnson, I still think that he'd fit. He plays both inside and out. I also think that there's a chance that he takes a discount to sign here, since he's made it clear that he's wanted to play here, and he's already gotten his one time mega deal.

I don't see C. Johnson as a great fit in our D now; I could see either Orakpo or Houston being ultra priority to sign tho'. Worilds is a nice option too. After that, the Iupati signing would be uber bonus.

The draft picks are all sensible and might work. Good job.

I disagree. I don't think they're going to be looking for a 3-4 OLB after watching them play an actual game. They run a 4-2-5 and a modified 4-3 Over defenses with traditional 3-4 D-linemen with a typical 4-3 DE added, which is why I and others were convinced they were shifting to a LEO 4-3. Due to that I am completely convinced they'll be monitoring the Panthers' DE situation very closely so they can pounce on whichever they let go and replace Biermann that way.

They also ran a modified 4-3 Over where they added a pass rushing OLB at the line of scrimmage. There I'd expect them to be looking closely at prospects like Vic Beasley and Leonard Floyd due to their phenomenal speed rushes and athleticism that makes them versatile.

I disagree. I don't think they're going to be looking for a 3-4 OLB after watching them play an actual game. They run a 4-2-5 and a modified 4-3 Over defenses with traditional 3-4 D-linemen with a typical 4-3 DE added, which is why I and others were convinced they were shifting to a LEO 4-3. Due to that I am completely convinced they'll be monitoring the Panthers' DE situation very closely so they can pounce on whichever they let go and replace Biermann that way.

They also ran a modified 4-3 Over where they added a pass rushing OLB at the line of scrimmage. There I'd expect them to be looking closely at prospects like Vic Beasley and Leonard Floyd due to their phenomenal speed rushes and athleticism that makes them versatile.

Eric Striker is in that same mold. Have to wait and see how he does this season.