Starr Over Smith?

kelvin31063

I know I'm late on accessing this but I had to go back on watch a few games and Hard Knocks. I can't for the life of me see how Starr was chosen of Jacques. Maybe Jacques is treading the mythical Falcons Filter line or something. Smith seems to have the edge in physicality, awareness, leadership, playmaking, and etc...excluding temper. Or maybe Starr needed to be the silver lining for Hard Knocks.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacques did nothing all preseason except get kicked out of a game while being a problem in TC and wasting time by picking fights.

Starr showed lots more promise; actually affected the game; showed the ability to work with others and learn from his coaches; play special teams; and earned Nolan's approval.

Jacques did nothing all preseason except get kicked out of a game while being a problem in TC and wasting time by picking fights.

Starr showed lots more promise; actually affected the game; showed the ability to work with others and learn from his coaches; play special teams; and earned Nolan's approval.

/thread

my biggest memory of Gunn was him at LG basically getting winded and giving up in game 2 or 3... he looked really bad like he was tired and not giving effort.

Gunn played lights out game one at RG... i didn't specifically notice him after that which i took for a good sign.

Though all i remember from Stone is him launching the snap way over the QB's head, which obviously wouldn't be a problem at LG. I don't recall seeing him do anything bad after that.... *Shrug*

Edited by Lornoth

I know I'm late on accessing this but I had to go back on watch a few games and Hard Knocks. I can't for the life of me see how Starr was chosen of Jacques. Maybe Jacques is treading the mythical Falcons Filter line or something. Smith seems to have the edge in physicality, awareness, leadership, playmaking, and etc...excluding temper. Or maybe Starr needed to be the silver lining for Hard Knocks.

One's coach-able and one's not.

I like them both. Roby? I haven't got an opinion yet.

Stupar? No opinion. Weems? A head scratcher for me.

Stone? I never suspected. DiMarco? Efficiency over

dominance? I favor a bit more of a stud at fullback, somebody like the guy from Auburn last year. Copeland

may just be a fat guy but I would give him a look.

Starr and Smith have NFL type bodies we can use both.

I seemed to see Starr only get close to making a tackle and one leg whip, Smith seemed to be pretty on it with the first couple episodes. I'm sure Roby is being kept because he was a former Saint lol.

The problem is, you are basing your opinion on a television show.

Hard Knocks, while a great show, is not focused on X's and O's, but on selling characters. They both were characters, but Jacques Smith was the louder and more marketable character, so the show focused on him. The reason Starr made it is because Mike Nolan is more focused on X's and O's and doesn't care about selling a product. He chose who he wanted. That is why Starr made it and Smith did not.

Forget Starr over Smith, I'm trying to figure out Roby over Reedy and CMatthews over Robertson.

Special teams, special teams, special teams. I called Cliff Matthews making the Final 53 weeks ago, because a lot of reports coming out of Training Camp were pegging him as a making tons of good plays in special teams. Plus he's apparently looked decent against both the run and pass from the DT position when we go 4-2-5. Robertson offers us very little on gamedays, because you would be dressing a guy only to have him play a handful of snaps. If he was on the Final 53, he'd probably just be inactive every week. The only sucky thing about him being on the PS is that he personally will make a lot less money. Anyone complaining about "no backup NT!" has to realize that A) we'll only be in "base" 3-4 about 30% of the time and B) Peters, Hageman, or Jackson can all play NT in a pinch if they have to. If Soliai goes down with an injury, then we just activate Robertson from the PS. No big deal.

And Roby was a lock for the roster all along up until we signed Weems; but it seems that even with Weems, they like Roby's ability to contribute on special teams greater than Reedy's. I do think, however, that Roby will eventually lose his roster spot to either Drew Davis or -- dark horse -- Geraldo Boldewijn when both return from injury in 6 weeks. As much as I like Reedy, if he wasn't going to cut it on special teams, you can't keep him on the Final 53. You don't keep a guy like that who can't contribute on ST because it's a waste of an active. Again, he'd probably just be a gameday inactive every week and would never have seen the field if he had made the Final 53 because the WR corps is simply too deep with Jones, Douglas, White, and Hester all ahead of him.

My roommate, who played linebacker for Penn State and is a die-hard Eagles fan, kept telling me all along that Starr was going to make the team. We watched all of the Falcons preseason games (and all of Hard Knocks) together. He knows a lot more about defense than I ever will, and he said that even though Starr never got a sack and missed a few tackles, that he was really affecting what the offense wanted to do on a lot of his snaps and causing trouble for the opponents. So I like hearing someone else say that saw him affecting the game... I personally didn't see it, but again, I didn't see Smith do jack squat either except act tough and get in fights.