Jump to content

Espn Just Said


Xfactor
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lol you guys delaigle was kidding. >< stop talking statistics if you don't get it................. XD

EDIT:

the probability of one event occuring plus the probability of the event NOT occuring = 100%. Not two different events.

-

"Chance of making playoffs after losing first game (54%)" + "Chance of NOT making playoffs after losing first game (46%)" = Chance of making or not making playoffs 100%

Edited by FALCONSFAN1492
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm with "delaigle": Where's the other 22%?

This may be an illustration that 72.47% of all statistics are made up.

16 teams win their first game and 16 teams lose their first game. 12 teams make the playoffs. 54% x 16 + 24% x 16 = 12.48 (not exactly 12, but difference likely due to rounding the percentages).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah they should just do this based on playoff teams.

Like how many playoff teams lost their first game, and how many won it.

Not how many teams lost their first game and missed the playoffs.

They kind of did. Those percentages imply that a playoff team is 2.25 times more likely to have won their first game than lost it. So of the 12 playoff teams, a little over 8 of them on average will have won their first game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since 2008, we won the first game 4 times and didn't make the playoffs 2 of those years (50%). When we lost the first game (twice), we went to the playoffs twice (100%). This is weird and kooky.

I knew it was. Just making a point, it's a silly stat. Fans always love silly stats. I really don't think it has any real affect on the outcome of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since 2008, we won the first game 4 times and didn't make the playoffs 2 of those years (50%). When we lost the first game (twice), we went to the playoffs twice (100%). This is weird and kooky.

I don't know if I'd qualify that as weird and kooky at all, since 2008, it's normal for us to go against what pretty much everyone (and every stat) says, smile.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...