Mike Nolan On Pass Rush

xSICKxWITHxITx

I really hope Kroy can get past his achilles injury mentally. It has to be difficult to get past an injury like that, but I have a feeling he will go all out for the Saints game. I can't imagine we will get much from Corey Peters for awhile because his injury was much later in the season. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I wonder what exactly Nolan means by this. Did he forget the scheme or does he mean getting back to his old self?

vaughn mcclure @vxmcclure23 · 18m

Falcons DC Mike Nolan said Kroy Biermann is still picking up things on the go after being out most of last season (Achilles)

This video is on the home page, but in case some missed it I'm posting it here because Nolan is in it. Nolan mentions some things he's excited about on our defense are: The two new tackles, maturity of a few players, getting Biermann back, maturity of the corners, Malliciah, and Massaquoi hopefully. He mentions there is still a lot of youth on the defense and yes he said "Massaquoi hopefully" in regards to maturing.

http://www.atlantafa...02-4c2a8768027f

Thanks for the post bro! I always like listening. He didn't sound to convinced though. :P

This I can agree with. I am hoping he's playing possum and he knows who is ready to step up. I didn't see it, so I'm also hoping he's just really good at playing possum. I felt more confident about our defense before hearing and watching that.

As much as I like Nolan's honesty, at some point he needs to step up and say we're going to dominate... and mean it. I understand that we have young guys on the team and had injuries last year but guess what... that's why you're getting paid the big bucks. No more excuses Mike! Coach up these players and get a game plan for Sunday.

anyone with a recap for those of us who can not listen??

-Its a challenge that we didn't draft anyone competent enough to get to the qb in less than a minute on any given snap.

-he tailors his scheme around his players

-excited for the maturation of guys like mass and goodman on the bench, and can't wait for ms to cut them before they are given any meaningful snaps.

Edited by osiruz

I remember seeing a post on this recently that talked about how difficult pure pass rushers are to find and that most pass rush has to be schemed. I think this was a big reason why we saw the shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 as you can get by with marginal pass rushing talent and generate pressure by scheming and taking advantage of matchups.

I remember seeing a post on this recently that talked about how difficult pure pass rushers are to find and that most pass rush has to be schemed. I think this was a big reason why we saw the shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 as you can get by with marginal pass rushing talent and generate pressure by scheming and taking advantage of matchups.

exactly! It's true that we don't have two solid all out pass rushers on the D, but we do have the ability to get to the QB via scheme. All I heard after the Titans game was that we didn't have any pass rush...but in reality, we hit and or sacked the QB 11 times in that game, which was one of the better performances in the NFL the 3rd week of preseason.

One thing to factor in is that we are deep and heavy on the d-line now and if we keep guys fresh via roation, we can wear down their o-line. I heard Vilma the otherday say that the one thing that drives Sean Payton crazy is a 3-4 look with big bodies in the middle that throw off the offenses' timing.

Our defense may look a lot better than the 06 Niner team, in which Nolan had complete control for the one lone year he was here. He arguably had a lot more talent at linebacker than we do however, but it never materialized with two of the outside guys washing out ( Manny Lawson ).

I hope Nolan can conjure up some magic this year on defense again, we'll need it.