Unofficial Depth Chart For Week 1

OC

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/article-1/First-Regular-Season-Depth-Chart-Released/1f65b8a8-b36d-4c0d-91cf-ab9c2f61921f

Offense

WR Roddy White Harry Douglas Eric Weems

LT Jake Matthews Ryan Schraeder

LG Justin Blalock James Stone

C Joe Hawley Peter Konz

RG Jon Asamoah Gabe Carimi

RT Lamar Holmes Gabe Carimi

TE Levine Toilolo Bear Pascoe

WR Julio Jones Devin Hester Courtney Roby

QB Matt Ryan T.J. Yates Sean Renfree

RB Steven Jackson Jacquizz Rodgers Antone Smith Devonta Freeman

FB Patrick DiMarco

Defense/Special Teams

DE Kroy Biermann Osi Umenyiora Stansly Maponga

DT Tyson Jackson Ra'Shede Hageman Cliff Matthews

DT Paul Soliai Corey Peters

DE Jonathan Babineaux Jonathan Massaquoi Malliciah Goodman Tyler Starr

LB Paul Worrilow Nate Stupar

LB Joplo Bartu Prince Shembo

CB Robert Alford Javier Arenas

CB Josh Wilson Robert McClain Javier Arenas

S William Moore Kemal Ishmael

S Dwight Lowery Dezmen Southward

CB Desmond Trufant Javier Arenas

K Matt Bryant

P Matt Bosher

LS Josh Harris

There's only 46 on the game day roster. Are you posting this as the unofficial 53 man roster depth chart or the depth chart for the week 1 game against the Saints?

You need to take 7 guys off of the list. My votes are Renfree, Stone, Starr, Stupar, Southward, Freeman, and Schraeder.

Flame me all you want for Freeman on this list. He looked awesome running/receiving in the Preseason and I would like to see him get touches. But. He looked pretty bad in pass protection and he didn't look good on Special Teams either. If Jackson is starting, we don't need 4 HB's active on Sunday and Smith is better at Special Teams. I like Southward but he didn't stand out on Special Teams and Ishmael looked good in the Preseason for backing up Moore/Lowery. If Stupar is playing because of Special Teams, then I think Matthews would be my next pick to be inactive.

There's only 46 on the game day roster. Are you posting this as the unofficial 53 man roster depth chart or the depth chart for the week 1 game against the Saints?

You need to take 7 guys off of the list. My votes are Renfree, Stone, Starr, Stupar, Southward, Freeman, and Schraeder.

Flame me all you want for Freeman on this list. He looked awesome running/receiving in the Preseason and I would like to see him get touches. But. He looked pretty bad in pass protection and he didn't look good on Special Teams either. If Jackson is starting, we don't need 4 HB's active on Sunday and Smith is better at Special Teams. I like Southward but he didn't stand out on Special Teams and Ishmael looked good in the Preseason for backing up Moore/Lowery. If Stupar is playing because of Special Teams, then I think Matthews would be my next pick to be inactive.

Can't inactivate freeman. He has to play. He doesn't have to be in on obvious pass plays. He's too much of a weapon to sit.

I guess that means Josh Wilson wins the NB position.

If Freeman is inactive Sunday, the board will shut down.

This is basically just the same depth chart that we've had all offseason, but with the cuts removed. I'll be shocked if Wilson actually starts at nickel back, because both McClain and Arenas outplayed him in the preseason. I still think you'll see McClain as the starter Sunday.

Devonta at number 4 RB?

He's been the #4 all offseason. Even if he starts to get meaningful snaps this year, he may continue to be listed as the #3 or #4 all year long out of deference to the vets ahead of him.

I won't be entirely shocked if he is innactive on Sunday.

I sure hope not... but I have to admit it's a possibility given his special teams play (or lack thereof) in the preseason + S-Jax being ready to go.

I think Stupar will be active, even with him being brand new. We signed him purely to help on special teams, so we'll want him out there on the field ASAP.

I also think we absolutely have to get Freeman some reps after the way he ran in the preseason, and I'll be stunned if we don't see him get at least 4-6 snaps on offense.

Otherwise, your inactives seem solid as to which positions we'll pull from. Assuming we stay healthy this season, iInactives all year long should be Renfree/Yates, Stone/Konz, Starr, Schraeder/Carimi, Southward/Ishmael, Wilson/Arenas, and ... I don't know about the 7th slot, honestly.

Week 1, I think Peters will be out because I'm not sure he's 100%. But if he is ready to go, I don't know who else you leave on the bench. I'd say Roby, but what's the point of keeping him and Weems if we don't dress them both to play on special teams? Same goes with Cliff Matthews; he's going to dress if we kept him for his special teams play. The only other obvious candidate would be Maponga, but I'd hate to see him inactive as well as he played in the preseason... he needs to get passing down snaps.

this

Can't inactivate freeman. He has to play. He doesn't have to be in on obvious pass plays. He's too much of a weapon to sit.

We can agree to disagree. Antone Smith provides the most explosiveness of any RB we have, and he contributes on Special Teams. I don't see how we can go into a game with 4 RB's when we don't feature our RB's. We have 6 WR's on our roster and the last 3 all play Special Teams, so I can't see the team giving a spot to Freeman. 10 of our 46 players are going to be RB's and WR's? I don't think so.

We can agree to disagree. Antone Smith provides the most explosiveness of any RB we have, and he contributes on Special Teams. I don't see how we can go into a game with 4 RB's when we don't feature our RB's. We have 6 WR's on our roster and the last 3 all play Special Teams, so I can't see the team giving a spot to Freeman. 10 of our 46 players are going to be RB's and WR's? I don't think so.

Yeah. Quizz plays ST, Dimarco plays ST, Antone plays ST. Hester, Roby, Weems play ST. If Devonta isn't going to get 10+snaps on offense, and based on the preseason where he got 0 with the first team, he won't, I don't think he is playing on Sunday unless we have concerns that S-jax is not 100%.

then again, maybe he is learning to block, so he might get some more chances.

the falcons have a habit of making their Depth charts with the Vet at #1 & #2 at the start of every year. Don't necessarily mean they will start the game that way--but pretty close

ie the A smith then freeman thing is just because Smith is the Vet does not mean he'll get the most time or the most snaps between the 2.

OH and I don't think the Falcons ever publish an "official" depth chart

No way they'd consider sitting Wilson behind Arenas then? Moving Freeman up to Quizz's spot? No? How about moving Babineaux back to DT and using Goodman instead...no chance huh...okay. Thanks.

I hate the idea of Jackson playing inside...smh

I think there will be match ups that dictate different personnel sets. The depth chart is really only going to tell us who starts the game. If Arenas provides more in run support and/or blitzing, then I think he will be in certain Nickel packages against particular personnel alignments by the Saints (or in certain situations like goal line). I think we will see Babs at DT on obvious passing downs when Osi is coming in as a designated pass rusher. I'd also expect to see Soliai take a break with Peters in at NT on passing downs. Peters did have 5 sacks last season. Jackson did have 4 sacks and 3 PD's last season, so I'm sure we will see some alignments with him at DE, but mainly when we go to our 3-4 alignment.

Here is what I think is going to happen this season. Our base formation is about stopping the run with the 4 guys we have up front. Tyson Jackson, Soliai, Babs, and Kroy are in our base defense with Babs and Kroy at the DE positions. This is either genius or it could flop, depending on whether or not our personnel understand their roles well enough to play fast in the different alignments. In theory, we have a very stout 4 man front against the rush (1200lbs?), and Kroy can take his hand out of the dirt with a DL shift for Babs and Jackson converting to 3-4 DE. This could be genius in the fact that OL's are not used to preparing against 4-3 to 3-4 transitions, their blocking schemes are very different, and the checks at the line are also very different. Then in obvious passing situations, I could see us using a lot of combinations like Kroy/Peters/Babs/Osi, Mass/Peters/Hageman/Osi, etc... with Maponga and/or Goodman in some packages. If these guys stay healthy, I could see that big 4 man front wearing down an OL over the course of 4 quarters with fresh speed coming in off the bench on passing downs.

If that's the plan, like I said, it's either going to look like genius or completely backfire.

Love the 7 DEs , they are determined to find a couple of players who can getter done.. I really think it may end up being M&M that will surprise this year.. Also can't wait to see my favorite draft pick on D this year. Shembo.. That dude is going to make noise also. he may end up being our best player per pick in this draft.