Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Even Bleed Red

Brandin Cooks

173 posts in this topic

He's THE player I'm going to be watching this Sunday. I think he'll be a key factor in the Saints' success against us. As it's been pointed out, for us to have success on defense, we have to get pressure on Brees. If we let him have time in the pocket, he's gonna carve us up.

But let's be honest, we're NOT gonna get consistent pressure on him by rushing just 4. Our DEs aren't gonna be consistently beating anyone off the edge. Even if we can find pressue up the middle with only our DL, the Saints are gonna adjust. So the only way to get consistent pressure on Brees is by sending in blitz and stunts.

This is where Cooks is gonna be a big pain for us. He's their new and improved Darrin Sproles, and as much as we all hate Jimmy Graham, people have forgotten how much of a Falcon killer Sproles was with screens out of the backfield that neutralized our blitzes. When Sean Payton makes an aggressive move to go get a new toy for Brees, you know he knows how to use him exactly.

With us giving most of our attention to Graham (that he deserves), Cooks is gonna pose a lot of match up for us underneath. Add to that a deep threat like Stills and a rejuvinated Colston (who is kinda like their Roddy), I don't see our defense matching well against the Saints.

They have all areas of the field covered: deep = Graham and Stills; medium = Graham and Colston; and now underneath = Colston and Cooks; send the speedy Cooks deep on a few plays and you got a complete circle - a complete nightmare match up problem. If we put a LB underneath and a DB over-the-top to double Graham, how do you stop Cooks underneath and Stills over the top? If we send in blitzes to pressure Brees, what about the bubble screen to Cooks? They're gonna score on us. Probably a lot.

As much as y'all hate it, the key to beating the Saints will be "Smittyball". Everytime they score on us, we march it down the field with our run game and short passing game, converting multiple 3rd and shorts, and get a touchdown. I know we're all anxious to see Julio and Hester in action, but I propose we wait for a better matchup. Looking for big plays and burning downs, then settling for FGs will be our downfall, like it always is.

Like PokerSteve pointed out in a realistic post that if we end up in a shootout with the Saints, it favors them. Ryan will end up with similar stats to Brees but our inability to run the ball in the RZ is our biggest Achilles heel as FG will not cut it against the Saints offense. The way to stop the Saints offense is to provide pressure with your front 4, something we can NOT do consistently. So for us to beat them, our run game is gonna be key. And we have to make sure we punch it in for 6 everytime. If we settle for FGs while looking for big plays, we're gonna lose.

In conlusion, Brandin Cooks (combined with Jimmy Graham and company) pose serious match up problems for us. Get ready to add his name on the list of Saints we all will hate for years to come.

wouldn't go that far. Dude is blazing fast. One slip up by trufant and it's highly likely that he will score

Well if the CB slips i'd wager most WR's could take advantage. Remember Tru running down Spiller in the Buffalo game when Spiller had a headstart? Yeah, Tru's plenty fast.
FuhRealDoh and Top Flight like this

Does he line up in the slot most of the time? I don't mind putting Tru on him because he doesn't let his receiver get off the line but Tru is not a nickel CB and if Cooks operates out of the slot it'll be a long day.

Well if the CB slips i'd wager most WR's could take advantage. Remember Tru running down Spiller in the Buffalo game when Spiller had a headstart? Yeah, Tru's plenty fast.

Didn't say Tru wasn't fast but don't just think trufant can simply shut him down.

He's on my fantasy team biggrin.png

You will get 2 points out of him week 1. What you get for drafting a Taint ....j/k LOL, I have Taint defense, but week 1, I am playing Buffalo D ....cool.png

Definitely one to look out for... but I doubt outside of a fluke play will he have a solid game against us Game 1 of his career. I think by the end of the season he'll be viewed as pretty darn good.

Didn't say Tru wasn't fast but don't just think trufant can simply shut him down.

Well i didn't say that. Cooks is a rook playing his first game though, Tru's not a rookie and looked like a very good CB his first year. I'd worry more about Colston or Stills than Cooks at this point, If we stuck Tru on the rook all game i'd wager he wouldn't do very much.

You will get 2 points out of him week 1. What you get for drafting a Taint ....j/k LOL, I have Taint defense, but week 1, I am playing Buffalo D ....cool.png

If Graham or Brees would have been available I would have grabbed them and started them this week as well lol. I don't trust our defense for ****. Gonna have to prove my doubts wrong

Well i didn't say that. Cooks is a rook playing his first game though, Tru's not a rookie and looked like a very good CB his first year. I'd worry more about Colston or Stills than Cooks at this point, If we stuck Tru on the rook all game i'd wager he wouldn't do very much.

10 years ago this logic would go far. Unfortunately in the proper system, most rookies find great success unless going against a true elite corner. Trufant had a good season but he is not a true elite shutdown corner yet. Not saying he can't stop him but I'm also not gonna rule out anything that a rookie can do, especially with a hall of fame qb throwing to him
Beast-N-Da-Sheetz likes this

If Graham or Brees would have been available I would have grabbed them and started them this week as well lol. I don't trust our defense for ****. Gonna have to prove my doubts wrong

Oh I hear ya amigo...when it comes to the serious biz of FF all loyalty is out the door LOL ....I can win a high grade falcon cap if I win my league, I'm gonna fight like a mofo for that 30$ cap ...cool.png
PokerSteve likes this

I've only been doing ff for 4 yrs now, and I've yet to grab a Saint, lol. Not sure why, but just thought of that.

Good post and obviously I agree with your prediction that we can not hang with the Saints in a shoot-out unless we're scoring TD's at the end of our drives rather than FG's. But to your point on Cooks, I think it would be very easy for our young defense to over-compensate to try to stop Graham only to find out Cooks also has the ability to hurt us badly. The Saints offense is going to be among the top five in scoring per game this year and Cooks is going to be one of the main horses pulling the load. We're going to have our hands full.

Oh I hear ya amigo...when it comes to the serious biz of FF all loyalty is out the door LOL ....I can win a high grade falcon cap if I win my league, I'm gonna gight like a mofo for that 30$ cap ...cool.png

lol thus is my second year doing ff. Didn't even realize I came in 3rd place on my first go around until last week and that team sucked lol
freebird310 likes this

I have Roddy as well ....cool.png My starters will be Roddy, Sammy Watkins and Torrey Smith, but I need to check Watkins injury status. Shady McCoy is my RB ...cool.png ....Stafford, Man, that's my QB ...cool.png