So Nothing Out There Better Than Holmes

I agree. In think our good points are better than our bad points thus season. My only ??? Is the pass rush. I've seen enough from the line, dline against the run, lb's, corners, rb's, wr's and safeties to joke we'll be good. If the rush is there we will be back in the playoffs barring serious injury.

I think we make the playoffs. Whether we doing anything in the playoffs depends on play calling and pass rush. We need a lot of young guys to keep developing and stepping up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Still nothing?

I am actually intrigued by Carimi at RT. Iwant to see what he can do now that he is fully healthy. Chances are he is an average to below abverage RT, but there is also a chance he still has that 1st rounder in him and all it took was time to heal from his injuries. I still think the Bears gave up on him too soon.

I am actually intrigued by Carimi at RT. Iwant to see what he can do now that he is fully healthy. Chances are he is an average to below abverage RT, but there is also a chance he still has that 1st rounder in him and all it took was time to heal from his injuries. I still think the Bears gave up on him too soon.

If this is true then I trust the coaching staff will see it also.

I love this team when Ryan gets time in the pocket. Almost willing to go second round pick on a RT next year.

Nah, he really doesn't care much for the edge. Never has. He likes pressure from the interior because of the twofer effect. I like it too, but I also know you need a threat on the edge. Sacks aren't the only part of the game and I think some do overrate them, but I also think he says that in terms of what he likes. If Hageman gets 16 sacks he will NEVER say it again until we don't have them again.

My take is it was more about Abe than anything else. He would get cheap sacks against sub par players and then disappear vs quality opposition and generate nothing except a running lane for the rb (not agreeing with mike 100% here but we all knew he was hot and cold). Smitty wants an edge rusher who is always going flat put for the play and not being selective - ala Patrick Kerney style. Always thought this was why KB was so loved by the administration (poor mans KB)

My take is it was more about Abe than anything else. He would get cheap sacks against sub par players and then disappear vs quality opposition and generate nothing except a running lane for the rb (not agreeing with mike 100% here but we all knew he was hot and cold). Smitty wants an edge rusher who is always going flat put for the play and not being selective - ala Patrick Kerney style. Always thought this was why KB was so loved by the administration (poor mans KB)

Abe didn't disappear because if better talent. He was doubled and chipped while the other side could have one player take care of Kroy or whoever was on the other side. Abe gas destroyed some top talent in the nfl. Some of who our fans wanted on the team like pro bowler Joe Thomas. It just gets hard when you don't have a bookend to help you on the order side against quality opponents. That's why they started rushing john from differnt sides.

Holmes is one of those players that screams potential. And on a deep team, he could be coached up and brought along. Sadly we are lacking in Tackle talent outside Jake Matthews. Lamar is one of those kids that could be solid with more seasoning. But as thin as our line players have been, we don't have that luxury.

What huts us is that I think the Falcons brain trust had a vision with the players drafted. They saw a glimmer of potential in all of them and hoped for the best possible outcome. Baker and Johnson being constantly hurt has forced the issue with Holmes. You cannot blame injuries totally as team building requires quality depth. You cannot hope your starters will stay healthy 100% and mine the later rounds for rough cut potential to back them up. you need men who can play, now. Lamar has little college experience. And I doubt given his situation he will ever amount to what he could potentially be. Unless Tice can pull this out his ***.

Thank you OP. Somebody finally See's what I see. Holmes is garbage

If you mean by garbage as in useless, I disagree. He is certainly not the best Right Tackle in the NFL. But since he been discussed so much here, I have noticed him more. I would say that the majority of the snaps, he is okay and sometimes he is good. And I have also noticed that sometimes he is not so good and can be down right bad. But he is not garbage by any means.