Star Was Kept So Td Could Save Face

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too much depth at corner..I agree with this talent wise

Exactly. We don't have the need at corner to justify keeping Allen even with him seeming to be a better player than Starr. We have 5 experienced corners and not a lot of pass rush options, so we're hoping to develop a Rush OLB.

Keeping Starr certainly makes me scratch my head, but he has a quality that coaches like. He is coachable. When coaches talk to Starr he looks at them as if they are the most important person In the world. The same can be said about Freeman.

Coachable players like Starr, Freeman and I'd put Shembo in this category can become REALLY good players quickly. If Hageman was as open to being coached as Starr is Hageman would have been drafted in the first round. This is my theory on why Starr was kept on the roster.

Guest facelessman07

If we had all this great corner depth TD shoulda been smart and used that 5th rounder on something else, or not sign all these journeymen and draft Allen with a purpose. Makes no sense to potentially waste a 5th rounder when good talent is still available

This reminds me of 2012 when I was furious we kept McClain. I wanted that guy gone! Then the season started & dude played awesome. I've since learned to take a wait & see approach.

Some people here make statements as if they're privy to information that even coaches aren't aware of.

Its obvious star does not belong on the team..why would he keep him? Then it hit me, how bad would it look on him if every single pick from the 5th rd up did not make the squad. So he had to keep somebody, and logically star was the only one he could keep on the roster. We had nine picks going into draft and half of them are done before the season even starts. Smh, some of you dont see a problem with this. Just because a couple look good does not give us an excuse to trash half the draft!

I just don't buy the notion that GMs (any GM) cares more about saving face than saving job. He saves job by winning playoff games. He wins playoff games by keeping the guys he and the staff feel have the best chance of winning.

I don't get Starr. I really don't see it yet. That said, I think saving face was a 0% factor in this, or any other, roster decision. There is just too much on the line this season. The end of the rope is approaching...

I thought TD had a great off season, I did not like the late round picks or the Allen pick, but he got us 3 starting lineman in FA and what looks like at least 4 eventual starters in the draft ....

Hageman, Matthews, Freeman, Shembo, Stone, Starr, Southward - all either starting or made the roster. That's pretty **** good.