Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tandy Gossett

Can We Pickup Michael Sam Now He's Released?

107 posts in this topic

I think he is a good player. I think he would have been better off keeping his gay life private! Wrong or right how many NFL players want to play with a gay player? Take a private poll not many I think..

He doesn't owe it to any of them or you to hide who he is. He will end up somewhere. He'd be better than some of our players.

DatWerkk likes this

I don't think he fits our scheme well, and I think he's all heart and no measurables (and Kroy is already on the roster for that role).

Having said that, the Rams are stacked with pass rushers. We aren't. If they thought he was an improvement over what we have, I could absolutely see us going after him. I don't think we will, but it's because of what I said above, not because I think him being cut necessarily means he won't be a better scheme fit somewhere.

He'd be more of what we have....developing talent. These dudes are so overrated and injury prone now days...we are better off drafting fundamentally sound players that can be coached.

He doesn't owe it to any of them or you to hide who he is. He will end up somewhere. He'd be better than some of our players.

I don't care if he's actually a ferret. I was a fan of his in Mizzou (already knew hew as gay, many did) and I say he's better than Starr at the very least.

Mega Flare and DatWerkk like this

Can you imagine the national media circus and division that would take place among the fanbase here in Atlanta and on this board if he were signed here? You have all these factions that would split among the fanbase and the local and national media would fuel the fire like you wouldn't believe.

You'd have the handful of bigots who would attack Sam for being gay. They would be few in number but very loud.

You'd have the extreme on the other side calling anyone who even criticizes Sams play homophobes. These would most likely outnumber the actual bigots and be just as divisive. You could crack a harmless joke about any other players sexuality on the board which is done frequently without any blowback, but do that with Sam and the PC police would go ballistic, unable to see the double standard. My gay friends crack sexuality jokes all the time about themselves and their straight friends, I wonder why they themselves consider it in good humor, but PC police see it as an attack and justify this to attack others.

You'd have the trolls baiting the fans with provocative statements and the extremes on both sides would bite, setting up huge flame wars.

You'd have people like me who has several gay friends and could care a less what someone's sexual preference is, but the politically correct defenders of Sam, driven by blind emotion, would attack me and other fans simply for treating Sam exactly as I would any other player here.

This message board would be simply awful to visit, it would be unbearable. I think this is unfortunate for Sam because I'm sure he's a very good person and would prefer the media and fans just let it go so he can play without the distractions.

Can you imagine the national media circus and division that would take place among the fanbase here in Atlanta and on this board if he were signed here? You have all these factions that would split among the fanbase and the local and national media would fuel the fire like you wouldn't believe.

You'd have the handful of bigots who would attack Sam for being gay. They would be few in number but very loud.

You'd have the extreme on the other side calling anyone who even criticizes Sams play homophobes. These would most likely outnumber the actual bigots and be just as divisive. You could crack a harmless joke about any other players sexuality on the board which is done frequently without any blowback, but do that with Sam and the PC police would go ballistic, unable to see the double standard. My gay friends crack sexuality jokes all the time about themselves and their straight friends, I wonder why they themselves consider it in good humor, but PC police see it as an attack and justify this to attack others.

You'd have the trolls baiting the fans with provocative statements and the extremes on both sides would bite, setting up huge flame wars.

You'd have people like me who has several gay friends and could care a less what someone's sexual preference is, but the politically correct defenders of Sam, driven by blind emotion, would attack me and other fans simply for treating Sam exactly as I would any other player here.

This message board would be simply awful to visit, it would be unbearable. I think this is unfortunate for Sam because I'm sure he's a very good person and would prefer the media and fans just let it go so he can play without the distractions.

this is copy/paste

Man, I am just plain uninterested in his personal life...or anyone else's when it comes to the game. Play ball and shut up...

Beast-N-Da-Sheetz, kane#7 and gazoo like this

Because they are loaded at DE and we stink at DE .

That's flawed logic. Sam is a good player, but it's hard to believe that everyone they kept is better than he is...and we don't stink at DE, we don't rush up the middle.

If Sam wanted to " just play without distractions " he wouldnt have created the circus he did. He wanted all this attention and I believe he thought it would help him land on an NFL roster . I dont think any team wants the attention that he brings , as we are seeing now its all people want to talk about. I could care less what he does in his own time, the fact is he was not good enough or he would still be there so why do we all of a sudden need him so desperately ?

Hokies&Falcons likes this

And he's also a one dimensional player that's mediocre at the one thing he does. But sure let's give excuses instead.

Eh. He had a decent preseason. Not sure what you're expecting from the rookie. Pass Rushers that can provide an instant impact and take over a game normally go in the first round, other pass rushers need time to grow. Hardy and Charles Johnson hardly lit it up their first years in the league... they needed time to grow.. Sam has shown a little spark, while he may or may not grow into a dominant player, the potential is there.

and yes... the Rams are stacked with pass rushers. A guy not making the final cut is more of a testament to the Rams being stacked, than it is on the player in question.

Eh. He had a decent preseason. Not sure what you're expecting from the rookie. Pass Rushers that can provide an instant impact and take over a game normally go in the first round, other pass rushers need time to grow. Hardy and Charles Johnson hardly lit it up their first years in the league... they needed time to grow.. Sam has shown a little spark, while he may or may not grow into a dominant player, the potential is there.

and yes... the Rams are stacked with pass rushers. A guy not making the final cut is more of a testament to the Rams being stacked, than it is on the player in question.

Not saying he can't be good one day, but i'd question someone that could unequivocally say one of our rookies can't be good one day. Personally i didn't see anything from Sam that told me he was better than anyone on the Falcons roster. He had a couple plays where he was unblocked and made a flashy play. People get enamoured too easily by highlight reels.

This whole Michael Sam thing has become grandstanding and soapboxing at it's finest. If he has more to offer than the next player in line (aka #53) then yes, sign him. But we are already set with the guys that got to learn the playbook for the last 12 weeks. He would be new to all of this, he isn't gonna get into the rotation, he will be a special teams player, which, I don't think he would be that good at. So please stop all this nonsense. People make issues out of things that really shouldn't be issues at all. Much like Mr. Sam and his showering habits and such. He has nothing to offer the Atlanta Falcons, so no. We will not be picking him up.

Let it go, let it go, can't hold me back anymore. Let it go, let it go. My daughter listens to this constantly. I hope to get it stuck in everyone else's head just as it's stuck in mine. Lol.

I think Disney princess music discussion is appropriate in a Michael Sam thread.

Gay or straight....who cares?

Let's face it, we are talking about a backup pass rusher and ST'er. But, to my eyes, Sam is a better player than Starr. It is just that simple. Do we make this team the best that it can be, or not? Injuries happen and if we go through pass rushers like we went through WR's last season, we will need the best back ups.

Michael Sam had his reasons for declaring his sexuality. I have not seen any evidence that he wanted or needed the attention. He has been an exemplary teammate and has performed well in preseason.

Football is the ultimate team sport. It requires acceptance of diverse skin colors, backgrounds, religions and sexual orientation. That is all I am going to write about this matter. I want the best for this team, nothing more.

Mega Flare likes this

He's no better than who we have, not sure why everybody wants him so bad. A couple untouched sacks? 6 total tackles? There's a reason he was cut.

The reason Sam was cut was because the Rams have a lot of talent on the Dline. They can afford to drop Sam and keep players in areas that they have less reliable players.

Falcons should at least see what Sam can do at DE for them.

If Sam wanted to " just play without distractions " he wouldnt have created the circus he did. He wanted all this attention and I believe he thought it would help him land on an NFL roster . I dont think any team wants the attention that he brings , as we are seeing now its all people want to talk about. I could care less what he does in his own time, the fact is he was not good enough or he would still be there so why do we all of a sudden need him so desperately ?

Scouts knew he was gay. Someone was going to leak the info prior to the draft, so he took charge of the situation. The oprah show was a mistake though, without a doubt.

All this................ multiple threads and countless discussions over one of the several 7th round draft picks who were released, many of who we could argue are better than Starr.

A released, 7th round draft pick. Amazing to me.

We go from the mentality that a 7th round draft pick is at best a practice squad candidate to this particular 7th round draft pick we just have to have because he could help us so much and he's so much better than the players we targeted that fit our scheme and TD is an idiot for not considering this.