Russia Invades Ukraine Thread

Shuswap

None of our business, we should sit back and watch...

That's a fair perspective .....

I'd like to see some of the European countries at least arm them to give them a fighting chance.

Putin is scary , givin his track record. Is he going to stop at Ukraine or does he want Soviet Unions previous borders?

That's a fair perspective .....

I'd like to see some of the European countries at least arm them to give them a fighting chance.

Putin is scary , givin his track record. Is he going to stop at Ukraine or does he want Soviet Unions previous borders?

Europe should definitely drive that one, it's in their direct interest to do so...

None of our business, we should sit back and watch...

Uh yeah, after you got them to get rid of their missile defense, nukes etc and PROMISED to defend them in case of an invasion as one of the conditions of course you should sit back and watch. Typical of this administration.... #we don't remember saying that.

The problem with that is that Russia is using technicalities. They aren't invading, they're hiring mercenary companies (better known as "contractors," now), giving them equipment, then they're sent in to play the role of rebels. They did that in Crimea and once that situation was set up for them with that BS referendum they sent in their actual army. Technically they are violating Ukraine's sovereignty but they're also technically not. The recent 'rebel,' offensive may point to a change in this policy as they were on the brink of defeat to the Ukrainian military and they are supplanting the 'rebels,' with actual Russian troops, but it's not like they're rolling over the border so it's difficult to tell.

Europe is giving Russia a week to descalate the situation or they will add more sanctions.

I'm not sure sanctions will work with Putin. I just hope the Russian people pull there heads out of there ***** and demand this stops.

I have seen some reports that the currents sanctions are already close to do some serious damage to Russia's economy

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2014/08/28/western-sanctions-and-rising-debts-are-already-strangling-the-russian-economy/

so far, President Obama has handled this well IMO

Let Europe make the decision to take military action. If that were to happen, I am sure we would be there as a part of a concerted NATO effort, but it isn't for us to push for a military option

This is true, but I'm not expecting much from European leaders. Merkel, for example, has been talking big yet you know full well she'll do nothing. Putin already didn't take her seriously after he was told not to bring dogs around Merkel during one of their meetings since she's afraid of them yet he brought his biggest dogs anyway.

I have seen some reports that the currents sanctions are already close to do some serious damage to Russia's economy

http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2014/08/28/western-sanctions-and-rising-debts-are-already-strangling-the-russian-economy/

Good read , hopefully hurting Russians pocket books will force Putin to back off.

I think arming Ukraine along with sanctions could put a end to it.

I know that USA has sent night vision equipment and Canada has sent sleeping bags and body armour.

Some of Ukraine neighbors should start sending Tanks APC ect........

Good read , hopefully hurting Russians pocket books will force Putin to back off.

I think arming Ukraine along with sanctions could put a end to it.

I know that USA has sent night vision equipment and Canada has sent sleeping bags and body armour.

Some of Ukraine neighbors should start sending Tanks APC ect........

I doubt it. Putin isn't an idiot. He's a Russian nationalist at heart and was forged in the KGB so, in all likelihood, he wants to combine the those two things by getting the Russian people completely behind him for a new Cold War. He can distract the people from their economic situation (since their economy was showing signs of recession before this) for a short time with a regional conflict and then blame the West and their sanctions when the Russian people really feel the impact of the slumping economy, including food price spikes due to him banning food imports from the West. However, it is a gamble since if the economic situation there gets too bad then it can blow up in his face.