Let me start off on a positive. I am really starting to like our offensive line. Matt Ryan had a consistent pocket against the Titans and we had some holes open up in the run game too. Justin Blalock is the Kroy Beirmann on offense except without the major injury. Blalock was always billed as a solid Olineman on this team, but I never bought into it. It seems with the addition of Tice alot of our Oline have gotten better. Baker was playing better before the injury, Holmes has played much better, even Konz has played a little better. Blalock has seemed to regress IMO. He was never a good run blocker given his size and he struggles in the open field getting to the second level on run plays, but he was a solid pass blocker, but I am seeing even more regression with run blocking and more struggles in pass protection. He had a horrible game against the Titans. The biggest problem that I have with Blalock is the fact that he might not fit with what we are trying to reestablish with our Team. Blalock made two comments that have me questioning his take no ish attitude. The first comment he made was him questioning the validity of Oklahoma Drills during the 1st practice of training camp. He recently made a comment regarding the incident that happend with Matt Ryan and Titans LB Zac Brown. Blalock was asked about the OLine coming to Ryan's defense unlike the Kenny Vaccaro incident and Blalock stated that "We now have some guys that will take care of that" making it seems like he wants no part of that. I just think Blalock is fortunate because we had some many terrible pieces that we could not afford to replace him this past offseason, but I think he will be the weakest link on our Oline this upcoming season. He is just toooooo comfortable.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

I thought I was the only one not giving him a pass. We will get flamed but the whole line struggled last year. Blalock's run blocking is suspect at times.

Would not mind if we cut ties next year and draft another guard or FA. He's getting paid 7 mil this year. More that Alex Boone and Mike Iupati. Can't convince me he is better than them.

Let me start off on a positive. I am really starting to like our offensive line. Matt Ryan had a consistent pocket against the Titans and we had some holes open up in the run game too. Justin Blalock is the Kroy Beirmann on offense except without the major injury. Blalock was always billed as a solid Olineman on this team, but I never bought into it. It seems with the addition of Tice alot of our Oline have gotten better. Baker was playing better before the injury, Holmes has played much better, even Konz has played a little better. Blalock has seemed to regress IMO. He was never a good run blocker given his size and he struggles in the open field getting to the second level on run plays, but he was a solid pass blocker, but I am seeing even more regression with run blocking and more struggles in pass protection. He had a horrible game against the Titans. The biggest problem that I have with Blalock is the fact that he might not fit with what we are trying to reestablish with our Team. Blalock made two comments that have me questioning his take no ish attitude. The first comment he made was him questioning the validity of Oklahoma Drills during the 1st practice of training camp. He recently made a comment regarding the incident that happend with Matt Ryan and Titans LB Zac Brown. Blalock was asked about the OLine coming to Ryan's defense unlike the Kenny Vaccaro incident and Blalock stated that "We now have some guys that will take care of that" making it seems like he wants no part of that. I just think Blalock is fortunate because we had some many terrible pieces that we could not afford to replace him this past offseason, but I think he will be the weakest link on our Oline this upcoming season. He is just toooooo comfortable.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd

I thought snelling use to be our biermann on the offense, Jack of all trades player. But I see what you mean now by the biermann of the offense, and sadly I can agree, I have heavily supported and Defended Blalock,but I too have seen him regress a lot this offseason, his attitude and tough mentality is being put into question as well,he may at this point only be sticking around due to his cap. An interesting idea would be if we could work out a swap with san Fran for Boone, send them Blalock and a 3rd/4th. We get a new RG and move Asamoah to LG. What do ya think?

I think Blalock seems to have regressed because he isn't buying into Tice's system like everyone else is. He released statements awhile back on how he doesn't understand why they're doing all these new drills if I remember correctly.

Edit: Whoops, didn't read OP's entire post.

Edited by Deep2Julio

I have to agree with J. I read those comments as well hes been here the longest on the line and should be the outright leader and for him to say we now have guys that wont take that he should have been the first one there to Matts defense. As soft as our line was last year he should have done whatever drills they asked him to do and loved it, they all should have gotten fined for the way they played last year.

Blalock has started his regression. Watched his snaps individually last season and he's starting to lose it

OP is correct in his assessment of Blalock struggling to get push in the run game and for whatever reason Blalock lacks the quickness to seal off LB's in the second level. He was surrounded by horrible play last season but also didn't look good himself, thankfully I am sure we will move on next season given his salary

He won't kill us this season given nobody on our line excels at run blocking

Gunn might be playing some over him this year.

I've been rooting for Gunn to replace Blalock since the first preseason game. I'd read reports that Blalock looked pretty bad in training camp, and it's showed in his play the past 3 weeks. He may get a free ride this season, but I fully expect us to move on from him in 2015. Hopefully TD can rid himself of his old sacred cows with bloated contracts (Baker, Blalock, Biermann) next offseason and go on a FA spending spree to help get us some **** pass rushers.

Here's the sad part. Until this season Blalock has been considered our best overall offensive lineman. Why? Because the other four have been that much worse. At best, Blalock has been no more than an average to perhaps slightly below average NFL LG. But the other four have been below average to the bottom of the league.

As we draft more "Jake Matthews" and add more like Asamoah (ranked the 10th best guard last season), the Blalock thing will take care of itself.

I actually like Justin and he is one smart man scoring a 41 on the Wonderlic. I still think his best position would be center and we would be stronger with him at center and perhaps Gunn or someone better at RG. We would be stronger and smarter as an OL and just might get one of this 4th and one's. I think Blalock would do well to lose about 25-30 lbs by playing center. He's not a naturally big man and is carrying a lot of excess blubber around his waist and hips. He would be better served losing this to become a more mobile center.

I've been rooting for Gunn to replace Blalock since the first preseason game. I'd read reports that Blalock looked pretty bad in training camp, and it's showed in his play the past 3 weeks. He may get a free ride this season, but I fully expect us to move on from him in 2015. Hopefully TD can rid himself of his old sacred cows with bloated contracts (Baker, Blalock, Biermann) next offseason and go on a FA spending spree to help get us some **** pass rushers.

It even seems like the fight is gone. I was like WTF when he complained about the Oklahoma drills.

I don't see the comparison. Kroy doesn't deserve to start in this league (even before injury), as where Blalock has at least had more solid years than not.

I'm not a huge Blalock fan and do realize that he's on the decline, but at least he's usually on the field come game day. Dude stays healthy and hardly ever misses a game.

Edited by Beast-N-Da-Sheetz

Man I'm glad you guys brought this up. I've recorded and watched our last two games and in the run game Blalock was the weakest link this week against the titans. I saw him missing blocks, getting pushed around and he looked slow getting out in space when we needed him to block down field. Like you guys, I've always believed he was our best o lineman but I not anymore. He was one of the top rated guards coming out of college and the scouting report said he was a 336 pound mauler. Well I haven't seen any mauling the last two years. Justin gets paid like a pro bowler but his play is average at best