4Th Down And One Yard To Go And Mike Smith Does What?

What makes it so bad is the fact that this exact scenario has already played out in the regular season and the playoffs quite a few times,and guess what the result was each time ?

jesus....awww this makes it sooo freaking bad. a revamped offensive line, fellas. hello. it's not the team that "had this scenario play out in the regular season and playoffs." jake matthews wasn't on this team. asamoah wasn't on this team. really sad how fans are so short sided. like winning a preseason game is more important than letting the coaches evaluate their squad.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jesus....awww this makes it sooo freaking bad. a revamped offensive line, fellas. hello. it's not the team that "had this scenario play out in the regular season and playoffs." jake matthews wasn't on this team. asamoah wasn't on this team. really sad how fans are so short sided. like winning a preseason game is more important than letting the coaches evaluate their squad.

and what will you say when they exact same stupid play is called in the regular season and it fails ?Oh we should not tip our hand......we don't have a line suited for power run blocking...Hello!

and what will you say when they exact same stupid play is called in the regular season and it fails ?Oh we should not tip our hand......we don't have a line suited for power run blocking...Hello!

i will be disappointed if the same thing happens in the regular season. i am not as presumptuous as you are. i don't think they'll run that play in that situation. first off they would've kicked the fg, but in a 4th and 1 situation where the opponent stacks the box like that i expect them to run a play action. the cynic fans are just above the apathetic fans, but not by much.

I am not a cynical fan nor am I a starry eyed homer,I call it like I see it ,and that was a stupid play to call in that situation,plane and simple.

i'd say what you are is blind to what the purpose of preseason football is. a coach who runs an exotic play in preseason isn't the coach i want for my team. i want my coach to save his play calls that win games for games that count towards the 16 regular season schedule and playoffs.

We f*ck up no matter what we do. To me, that means Smith's nervous nature has rubbed off on the players.

We've seen what happens when we pass, like 4th and goal at the Saints last season or the Patriots. Dropped passes, poor pass protection, what have you

Run it and we can't beat the guys across the line, we just end up stuffed. We can't win and our guys don't believe they will beat the guy lined up across from them

I haven't watched the game yet so I can't comment on the specific situation. But I can say that typically, running the ball on those situations converts them a higher percentage of the time than passing the ball does. Something like 60%>>45% or so.

Just reading it here, I'd question why Quizz is the guy being used in that situation. But like I said, I havent had a chance to watch the game so I'll wait until after I watch to really dig in.

I don't question running it with Quizz but I do question going left when the left side struggled run blocking the whole game.

The reason the Quizz thing gets me is that I don't think he's a very bullish runner in the short field. I think if you get him in space, he can truck dudes. But he's not super decisive to the hole and I dont think he breaks/fights through a lot of tackles at the LOS.

Freeman seems to always get more than whats there. He gets small in the hole and uses excellent body control to wriggle to another 2 yards. Plus I think the elite acceleration really gives him an advantage in that type of situation.

I'd bet that as the season progresses, Freeman becomes our lead 3rd/4th and 1 back.

Get in line, nobody was happy to see that same play. Hopefully part of "The Process" includes Smitty and Koetter realizing that midget RBs won't succeed on a dive play on 4th and 1.

funny you say that, MJD can make that play so can Rodgers..

Ppl seem to forget that it's our line job to get push for our rbs, stop blaming them If they get pushed or tackled in the backfield.

Like you said it's preseason, where you practice on your execution, and I bet your last dollar it's going to be ran in the REGULAR season.

Bottom line blame the G/C for not getting any push

This was a test for the OLineman. I can tell you for sure that they are going to get chewed out by Tice regardless of how they played prior. This is not on the play call this is on the oline to see how tough they are, they needed to be about it and not just talk about it. I love the play call especially in the preseason, not so much in the regular season. If you really think about it you can see that this was just a test

funny you say that, MJD can make that play so can Rodgers..

Ppl seem to forget that it's our line job to get push for our rbs, stop blaming them If they get pushed or tackled in the backfield.

Like you said it's preseason, where you practice on your execution, and I bet your last dollar it's going to be ran in the REGULAR season.

Bottom line blame the G/C for not getting any push

Pretty sure the pressure came from the left edge. In other words, Matthews and Blalock get the heat for that one. Quizz at least got about half a yard on that attempt.

I think we need to be able to run for it on 4th and 1. Smith was just trying to do that in preseason, and will use our failure to convert to try to correct the problem before the regular season. Say what you want, but preseason is not really about winning, it's about evaluating your personnel and correcting problems before the real games start.

I don't know for sure that this is what he was doing, but it's what I hope he was doing.

Handoff up the middle and lose 1/2 yard.. You say its only pre-season? This is when you try new things. Mike Smith did this during REGULAR season and missed time after time. What is his problem? Conservative? Scared? Unsure? Here is the kicker.,,,,,, I do like Mike Smith. This is the one thing that drives me absolutely crazy. It may be Kotter's problem. I just stared at the tv in silence. All of our weapons and we hand off up the middle to a pint size running back.

Just before halftime Atlanta .

Timeout #1 by TEN at 00:51. 4th and 1 at TEN 20 (:51) J.Rodgers left guard to TEN 20 for no gain (K.Wimbley; S.Hill).

The preseason is also where you test the capabilities of your units.