4Th Down And One Yard To Go And Mike Smith Does What?

Handoff up the middle and lose 1/2 yard.. You say its only pre-season? This is when you try new things. Mike Smith did this during REGULAR season and missed time after time. What is his problem? Conservative? Scared? Unsure? Here is the kicker.,,,,,, I do like Mike Smith. This is the one thing that drives me absolutely crazy. It may be Kotter's problem. I just stared at the tv in silence. All of our weapons and we hand off up the middle to a pint size running back.

Just before halftime Atlanta .

Timeout #1 by TEN at 00:51. 4th and 1 at TEN 20 (:51) J.Rodgers left guard to TEN 20 for no gain (K.Wimbley; S.Hill).

Edited by slewis1952
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem was not running up the middle with Quizz. the problem of the play is that we tried to confuse the defense with 3 wr 1te and 1rb to make the Titans think we were going to pass (playaction maybe) and the defense didnt bite. They got more defenders than we had blockers. My point here is that if we are going to run it, put a heavy formation and if we are going to pass then use the formation we had.

Edited by FalconFromSpain

No!!!!!! There were 16-18 players lined up in the box. Are you telling me that running a small RB into those 16-18 players is a better play than either going wide or throwing a quick slat into 1 on 1 coverage? My point is that this 4th and 1 play calling has been and still is horrible. Experiment now Mike Smith. We know that running into the line doesn't work.

I think we need to be able to run for it on 4th and 1. Smith was just trying to do that in preseason, and will use our failure to convert to try to correct the problem before the regular season. Say what you want, but preseason is not really about winning, it's about evaluating your personnel and correcting problems before the real games start.

I think we need to be able to run for it on 4th and 1. Smith was just trying to do that in preseason, and will use our failure to convert to try to correct the problem before the regular season. Say what you want, but preseason is not really about winning, it's about evaluating your personnel and correcting problems before the real games start.

Exactly

No!!!!!! There were 16-18 players lined up in the box. Are you telling me that running a small RB into those 16-18 players is a better play than either going wide or throwing a quick slat into 1 on 1 coverage? My point is that this 4th and 1 play calling has been and still is horrible. Experiment now Mike Smith. We know that running into the line doesn't work.

So much fail I don't know where to start

the reason they didn't go to the jumbo package was they didn't want the defense to get a chance to put their big lineman in..with that said even with our jumbo package we don't have a big back that can get that much needed 1 yard with all those big bodies in, either put in a big defensive lineman to run the ball ie the "Fridge" or they need to bounce it out, or how about a play fake and throw to a tight end or a boot leg anything but the same ol midget up the middle..