Falcons Get Tough With Chippy Titans

theProf

Why did Mike Smith need Arthur Blank to come out publicly and voice his displeasure with how Matt Ryan was disrespected before he addressed it with the team. it seems like Mike Smith struggles to clearly define this teams identity and attitude without making it a marketing tag line.

Smith certainly didn't need it. But Arthur Blank couldn't help himself. He's a salesman, after all. I am willing to bet sales of everything Falcons have been less than stellar after the season/off season the Falcons had, so Blank needed to create a rallying cry to promote excitement and some sales of tickets, advertising, gear, etc... And what better catalyst that such play against the hated rival. I do find it sad that Blank had to resort to mentioning a play that happened the first game of the 2013 season in the 2q quarter of 2014.

But let's be honest here. If anyone would look at the Ryan-Vaccaro play without their respective team's colored glasses, Matt Ryan didn't get disrespected, and Vaccaro didn't lay any sort of terminator hit. It was a run of the mill bang bang play, the kind of play that makes you scream in disgust when it gets called against you, and scream in disgust when it doesn't get called for you.

Finally, as a general comment to the thread, yet again, on toughness: toughness isn't retaliations, cheap shots, or being "chippy". Yet again, an example of toughness follows:

Saints vs Texans, 5 minutes left in the3rd quarter, Texans winning 19-17. In this series, you will see a similar play to the Ryan-Vaccaro play, but unlike the latter this one doesn't get flagged; then you'll see a face mask to the QB that again doesn't get called, then a shot on the TE's head which again doesn't get called... The reaction by the Saints? Dropped a 40 burger on the Texans and won the game.

https://www.youtube....d&v=hmN7cmkJxAY

Toughness is not about retaliation, cheap shots, etc.. toughness is about taking all of those, and going back out there not intimidated and winning the game.

@ William moore. I know it hurts holmes. But keep putting up the good mediocre fight. The sooner we get over the Mike Smith project hopefully we'll be able to get someone who knows what they are doing and we'll be truly tough and drop points on people

@pzummo. Bill Cower also got to the AFC championship game in his 3rd year and a super bowl in his fourth. That will give fans a definite reason to keep supporting him. Smith hasn't done that. Dude is garbage and should have been canned after that Giants play off loss. He won't win a super bowl and he's just wasting years off of players and wasting the fans time

The Browns also gave up on Bill Belichick after 5 seasons. He won a Superbowl in his 7th when the Patriots saw the forest through the trees and recognized that he is a good coach.

Cowher had a 3 year stretch where he had 6, 7, and 9 wins. The smart owners for the Steelers recognized good coaches don't grow on trees. They stood by him and were rewarded for their patience. The difference between great franchises and crappy franchises are the owners. Great owners recognize a lot has to go right for a team to win the Superbowl. Having a good coach that can get you to the playoffs consistently is worth keeping through thick and thin. ****** franchises get rid of their good coaches through the thick and often times, those coaches win a Superbowl with a different team. Belichick, Parcells, Dungy, Billick, Shanahan, Carroll, etc...

History repeats itself. Yet people still think, for whatever reason, making the same mistake those ****** franchises make is the way to win a Superbowl. The way to win a Superbowl is to find a good coach that can get you there and being patient.

He would be the next Marty if we fired him like the dumbass Chargers did with Marty. What have they done since getting rid of him? How many Superbowl or Playoff wins since?

How long did it take Cowher to win a Superbowl in Pitt? They didn't fire him when he had down seasons because they knew he was a good coach that was going to fix their problems. They didn't fire him when he failed in te Playoffs because they knew he was giving them a chance. Marty was a **** good coach and SD was dumb for not giving him more time.

P.S. To the poster above about Smith not being the same since the heart problem. He still slams his headset and gets pissed like he always has. He's very aggressive going for it on a LOT of 4th downs (some say too many). That is not behavior you see from a "soft" coach.

I agree it was a dumb move.. But they must of felt he wasn't going to get them over the top..

But if we go to the playoffs and get blown out like the Giants playoff loss, Smitty could be out of a job..

The finger has been pointed at the OC DC OL DL coaches, who do you think is next?

I want smitty to get us to a Sb, but I dnt want to waste this teams window with a coach who just cnt get the very best out of the team..

@ Pzummo again, Cower showed that he could get the team there. I'm not impressed with Mike Smiths " winning seasons" littered with wins where lead after lead was blown and then the inevitable thrashing in the playoffs. If you feel that is acceptable then fine. Seahawks got rid of Mike Holmgren who won Playoff games and took them to a Super bowl then they rebuilt Won more play off games and won a super bowl in the time Mike Smith has been coach here and basically we're back at step one with Smith unsure of what this season will hold. Beli won a super bowl in his 7th. Mike is now in 7th with absolutely no signs saying he'll lead the team there this year. He'll get another " winning season" the content fans will look at this as improvement he'll be here next for the same crap

@ Pzummo again, Cower showed that he could get the team there. I'm not impressed with Mike Smiths " winning seasons" littered with wins where lead after lead was blown and then the inevitable thrashing in the playoffs. If you feel that is acceptable then fine. Seahawks got rid of Mike Holmgren who won Playoff games and took them to a Super bowl then they rebuilt Won more play off games and won a super bowl in the time Mike Smith has been coach here and basically we're back at step one with Smith unsure of what this season will hold. Beli won a super bowl in his 7th. Mike is now in 7th with absolutely no signs saying he'll lead the team there this year. He'll get another " winning season" the content fans will look at this as improvement he'll be here next for the same crap

This is such a ******** argument. So if HD didn't trip and fall down, you would be sold on Mike Smith and give him as long as he needs. But since he didn't, and since the PI didn't get called, or the number of other mistakes players made in that game that kept us from the Superbowl make you think he needs to go. Yeah, that makes sense.

What about all of those other coaches that showed they could win and their owners fired them because they didn't get them a title just so they could win one somewhere else. Billick is a great example. Very similar to Smith. Billick had great teams in Minny before he won a Superbowl with the Ravens. Which would you rather be? Minnesota, still looking to become relevant in January, or Pittsburgh/Baltimore that are disappointed the rare times they are not relevant in January?

Am I missing something? This is FOOTBALL toughness should come naturally. Not something you work on in the off-season. I agree with others, Smitty is always one step behind on what direction he wants this team to go in. That's probably the reason why we have yet to establish an identity in the 6 yrs since he's been here.

It's obvious that our offense has been carrying this team and him for the last 6 years. I sometimes get the feeling that he's holding us back, and then I look across the board at the past defenses and just SMH.

Yeah we've put up some pretty good reg season records in the past but it sure as heII didn't come from immaculate coaching. I'm so sick of being in hold on/get by mode. I'm ready to get in dominate/attack mode.

Loved the pick when he made it

Tackle Lamar Holmes was the one player who seemed to say something after the Vaccaro hit. Holmes definitely got involved after Saturday's play.

"I'm going to protect Matt until the bitter end," the right tackle said. "Whatever I've got to do to protect my quarterback, I mean, that's my guy. I'm going to do it.

Holmes is ready

@pzummo. Bill Cower also got to the AFC championship game in his 3rd year and a super bowl in his fourth. That will give fans a definite reason to keep supporting him. Smith hasn't done that. Dude is garbage and should have been canned after that Giants play off loss. He won't win a super bowl and he's just wasting years off of players and wasting the fans time

You can not compare the hapless vickless falcons to the ******* Steelers they're without question the best franchise in NFL history they have a pedigree, Blamk, McKay, Dimmitroff, and Smith are building one.

tldr; its a false equivalency

For the record, I think positional coaches are the one's that mold the attitudes of the players. Have our WR's ever played soft? No. We had a WR coach preaching toughness, preaching blocking, preaching physicality, and preaching confidence. When Roddy was f'ing around, he got in his @$$ and then got his momma in his @$$. The head coach doesn't have enough one on one time with each player to instill it across 53-90 guys. If you don't believe me, look at Julio's transition. He came out of college quiet with a lunch pale workman-like mentality, just doing his job. When I see him on Hard Knocks and during games this season, he's not quiet, he's yapping away letting people know he's a bad@$$ while backing it up. That first season, Julio didn't get in DB's faces after a PI call, or proclaim nobody can stop him, or straight up buck like he does now. Everybody used to whine about our WR's coach emphasizing blocking, but I didn't hear anybody complaining about it on Julio's TD last night (HD's block) or the way Roddy has always laid folks out. And that's part of the mentality he has preached to our WR's. You are going to win in everything you are asked to do, whether the ball is in your hands or someone else's.

Not for nothing, but why would the OL get called out by one of our players if it was a "team" mentality Smith was preaching? Other people on our team were pissed the OL didn't step up.

Blame Smith for hiring the wrong OL coach. Fine. No problem with that. But saying he's the source of soft play? You obviously haven't been watching the Falcons for more than last season. He'll get on you for dumb penalties, as he should, but he never once tried to pull Dahl/Clabo/McClure/Roddy/etc when they played with an attitude and he let his own temper go in several other instances.

Mike Smith establishes the foundations of the team. He hires the position coaches. He hires the coordinators. He makes all the football decisions. While he can not micromanage, he sets the standards and enforces them. That is his job. If this team is not "tough" or "physical", it falls on Mike Smith.

I am tired of hearing the mantras and seeing a flawed team. Instead of pointing to the multiple major gaffs in judgement, I will simply point to a record of failure in the play-offs. With a QB like Matt, we should be better.

Yeah you can't even justify that comment. The number of former NFL South rivals who take every opportunity to take a **** on us is making that network unwatchable. I wanna say itd be nice if we had a former Falcon to stand up for us but while Deion does alright Jamie Dukes chooses to lead the "lets hate the Falcons" jack@ss parade. (is he even still on there?)

Reality: Anyone can dump on the Falcons, in the media, because their fan base does not matter. It hurts to type that, but it is true. As a city, the team is not rabidly supported. And guess what, that means that the money is not behind the team. And guess what else, ESPN is a business. They entertain to the people that pay the bills.

So, if you don't travel with the team, spend money on what is advertised, buy expensive jerseys and purchase PSL's, then don't complain about the talking heads. They are not pandering to you.

Edited by etherdome

Mike Smith establishes the foundations of the team. He hires the position coaches. He hires the coordinators. He makes all the football decisions. While he can not micromanage, he sets the standards and enforces them. That is his job. If this team is not "tough" or "physical", it falls on Mike Smith.

I am tired of hearing the mantras and seeing a flawed team. Instead of pointing to the multiple major gaffs in judgement, I will simply point to a record of failure in the play-offs. With a QB like Matt, we should be better.

I agree with your first paragraph. And like I said, Smith owned up to his mistakes. Nobody questioned our toughness when Turner rushed for 17 TD's. Nobody questioned our toughness when we had the 3rd best record in the NFL his first 5 seasons. Nobody questioned our toughness when we came so close to getting to the Superbowl. Last year, Mike Smith made a big mistake hiring Pat Hill to coach the OL replacing Boudreau. In my opinion, he did about as good as anyone could expect in one offseason getting guys like Tice and Cox to replace our soft OL and DL coaches. And Dimitroff did a good job getting new players to help instill that toughness on the lines these new coaches will demand. Matthews, Asamoah, Soliai, Jackson, and Hageman look like they are going to be forces upfront. The head coach made a big mistake and it played a part in our "ONE" down year (along with the injuries to a ton of players). Smith owned up to it and did what he can to right the ship.

I don't understand how anybody can think Smith is not a good coach. As I said before, every coach makes mistakes. He responded how I want the HC of the Falcons to respond.

Mike Smith is a head coach that owns up to his own mistakes and takes corrective measures to make sure it gets squashed and never happens again. And that is somehow a negative? For some of you, you expect a head coach to be perfect. No HC is perfect and sometimes things don't go as planned. How people respond to adversity is how they should be judged.

Mike Smith does have the responsibility you mention. We had a lot of success and faultered one season, where we had a ******** number of injuries, but also had some weaknesses exposed. He responded by getting rid of Hill and Ray. He replaced them with Tice and Cox. By all accounts, he is doing what he can in order to fix his past mistakes.

Bill B seems to be the standard for HC's. How many Superbowls has he won since they stopped recording opposing teams? People love them some Sean Payton. How many Superbowls has he won when they weren't stealing painkillers and paying under the table bonuses for bounties?

I don't think this question will exist much longer. We have had a lot of success with a lot of different coaches while Smith at HC has been the only constant. Questioning his ability because of one bad season is nothing short of ignorance. He's not perfect by any means. But he's a **** good head coach and he'll get us a Superbowl when we have all of the right pieces in place.

Two seasons ago we had the best record in the NFC and came up 10 yards short from a 2nd Superbowl trip.

Do you think this team is better or worst than the one assembled in 2012? Do you believe we have addressed the weaknesses like lack of pass rush, poor offensive line play enough to make a run at the Superbowl?

GOOD is the Enemy of GREAT!

As soon as good becomes good enough a decline is sure to follow

Two seasons ago we had the best record in the NFC and came up 10 yards short from a 2nd Superbowl trip.

Do you think this team is better or worst than the one assembled in 2012? Do you believe we have addressed the weaknesses like lack of pass rush, poor offensive line play enough to make a run at the Superbowl?

GOOD is the Enemy of GREAT!

As soon as good becomes good enough a decline is sure to follow

Sometimes you have to take a step back in order to move forward. Last season was that step back. I am not going to claim I am a prophet and predict the future. I do think it's very difficult to fix a team in the NFL. The salary cap doesn't allow teams to fill every hole every year.

That being said, yes, I do think we are a better team than 2012. I do think if this team played the 2012 team, this team would win. That team's defense could not cover teams with depth at WR. That team's OL would not push our current DL. That teams DL would not push our current OL.

Wow, this article just reinforces why i'm not sold on Mike Smith's ability to lead this team to a Superbowl.

Why did Mike Smith need Arthur Blank to come out publicly and voice his displeasure with how Matt Ryan was disrespected before he addressed it with the team. it seems like Mike Smith struggles to clearly define this teams identity and attitude without making it a marketing tag line.

His demeanor on the sidelines reeks uncertainty and nervousness. Instead of staying engaged with his team he reaches for his notebook and writes notes to himself.

No one can take away the success he has had over the past 6 years but he does not look the man to get the Falcons to the next level.

Hate to say it but the majority of our wins probably were in spite of Smitty not because of him, with the offensive talent we've had the last several years.