In 2012 W/abraham, We Got 29 Sacks, In 2013 We Got 32 Sacks W/ Osi

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know man, I think this topic is pretty silly. Pressuring the QB is not a black and white concept defined by the sack stat.

In 2012 the Falcons gave up only 14 TD passes and intercepted 20.

In 2013 the Falcons gave up 31 TD passes and intercepted only 10.

I think that is a pretty good clue that QBs were a lot more comfortable in the pocket last year.

So, what you're saying is that consistent pressure is more important than occasional sacks?
I'm as big a TD guy as there is on these boards.....and he absolutely screwed the pooch by letting Abe go. Teaming Abe up with Osi would have made our defense better simply off of matchups alone.

But I'm kind of glad they didn't. With Abe & Osi both on the team our sack totals may have gone up and the front office may have continued on in their fantasy world of ignoring the interior DL, or heaven forbid Huggy Bear might still be the DL coach. We needed beef to clog the middle and a new DL coach for years and after last years dismal performance they couldn't ignore it or gloss it over.

So the loss of Abe last year might be why we were able to add Soliai, Jackson, Hageman and brought in Cox as a coach this year. May we never see Drew Brees have a comfortable pocket to step up into again.

Its also like I have said before the sack total went up because teams were passing more effectively against the Falcons. So yes the sacks would tend to go up with the other team taking bigger shots. And like Payton just posted the end result blows your stats of the Falcons had more sacks out of the water.

I would like to know how many big pass plays the Falcons had against them and the percentages of big pass plays that were made.

With Abe in 2012 we won 13 games

With Osi in 2013 we won 4 games

AKA team stats are stupid in evaluating players.

Your argument has nothing to do with mine. Let me help you out here:

The fans blasted TD for letting Abe go and bringing in Osi because they felt we were not going to be able to get as many sacks. It was ALL about sacks.

I showed we actually got 3 more sacks after Abe departed, blowing apart many fans argument on why they hated TD and what a blunderbuss foolhardy move it was to sign Osi instead. Their major gripe about a loss in sack production NEVER HAPPENED.This is entirely about sacks and you know it.

The fanbases issue with TD for letting Abe go and signing Osi to take his place was all about sacks, period.

In 2012 Abe had most of his sacks against poor teams. When he was needed to rise up against good competition or in the playoffs he disappeared. Conveniently when needed in the playoffs he was on the sidelines huffing and puffing. Hard to rush the passer with a hangover.

Give the man a break- he had a high ankle sprain, he couldn't move.

If the team didn't suck last year, we would have all forgotten about how TD did Abe.

But...the team did suck. And when the team sucks, people remember everything you do.

Its clear to me that to you and Kane, this information on sack production is terribly uncomfortable because you both are spinning.

Every single person on this thread knows the truth, it was ALL about sacks when it came to Abe. When he was here it was ALL about sacks, when he was replaced by Osi the concerns were ALL about sacks and this thread is discussing the merits of those arguments.

The fact is, our sack production increased by 10% after letting Abe go and signing Osi to be the pass rusher.

I do appreciate you pointing out the value of pressure vs sack production though. I thoroughly enjoyed you backing up Smitty's comment that sacks are overrated. :)

Yea, lets just ignore some obvious things. Not only was Abe the leader in sacks every year he was here and racked up more than anyone in a Falcons uniform did in the last 4 seasons he was here...it's about creating PRESSURE! As much as some of you might hate to hear it there is some truth in the saying it's not all about sacks. It's about pressure...which creates turnovers.

2010:

We had 36 turnovers and +14 TO ratio.

2011:

We had 32 turnovers and a +8 TO ratio.

2012:

We had 35 turnovers and a +13 TO ratio.

2013:

We had 23 turnovers and -7 TO ratio.

Yea, had nothing to do with the fact that we lost Abe and couldn't create consistent pressure as we heard WEEK TO WEEK whenever any analyst breaking down game footage that was worth a d*** stated.

I'm sleep, y'all got it. Defense didn't take a hit at all.

Ultimately, comes down to, even if Abe and Osi had been there last year,wouldn't have mattered much.

The rest of the D, with 2 rookie Corners playing extensive minutes, 2 UNFA LBs, injuries to Biermann, Spoon and others, wouldn't have gotten the other team to the 3rd and longs where having both come off the edge would have been effective.

Another way to look at it:

Year.........Defensive Snaps/Sacks........Plays between sacks

2010....................957 / 31..................................30.8

2011....................965 / 33..................................29.3

2012....................991 / 29..................................34.2

2013...................1,003 / 32................................31.3

There's basically no correlation between win-loss record and sacks.

Edited by GTFalcon25

I don't think Abe is an alcoholic. I think he just likes to drink. There is a huge difference.

Abe's main problem is that he doesn't hold his liquor well and it gets him in trouble. Like I said before, he is bad at drinking.

Multiple DUIs, extreme weight loss (40 lbs in this case) that's not the sign of a person that is in control of their drinking. He was away from Cardinals camp because he was in a rehab facility. He's got a problem...

Multiple DUIs, extreme weight loss (40 lbs in this case) that's not the sign of a person that is in control of their drinking. He's got a problem...

Amazing that Az can cope with it. Amazing that Abe has been productive in spite of it. Some teams are run by football folks an others by guidance counselors.

Our fan base deserved 2 pass rushers.

Amazing that Az can cope with it. Amazing that Abe has been productive in spite of it. Some teams are run by football folks an others by guidance counselors.

Our fan base deserved 2 pass rushers.

Falcons put up with it he didn't have a dui but he's had judiciary issues with alcohol. Maybe some that were swept under the rug, who knows? I do know he wasn't 100% willing to go that extra mile with rookies, and that's not how the falcons want to operate.