Why Do We Sign Guys Like Mcquistan & Weems?

You act like those dudes being hurt was a fluke.

With this current situation, Baker will have missed 27 out of 112 games in his career. He's only played all 16 games in a season twice in 7 seasons.

Spoon has missed 33 out of 80 games in his career. He's made it through all 16 games only once in 5 seasons.

But yeah, why on Earth would anyone expect for TD to take any of that into consideration? I mean it's not like injuries & a lack of proper depth didn't expose this team just last season...

Good boy!

Again hindsight makes you a Super GM. Had the keys been in your pocket instead of TD's you would have shed all this worthless baggage and signed 2 all-pros in their place while maintaining the salary cap and filling other holes?

All NFL teams have holes, there is no team without holes, glaring or otherwise. The good ones compensate in other areas to mask their deficiencies. It's up to the coaching staff and players this year to live up to the slogan and Rise Up.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

having to find a player to fill needs two weeks before the regular season is embarrassing? Because Baker and Weatherspoon's injuries were expected right? Dent? our best linebacker? guy wasn't even assured a roster spot and somehow trading him for a backup QB with a playoff win under his belt is a bad move?

You may be fooling others with your passive aggressive pretentious bs but it's painfully obvious to me.

I never said Dent was your best LB.

So, you seem to have the same thought process as your GM. Let me ask you, because I'm dying to know, why would you trade a decent LB for a backup QB when you are planning on implementing a new defensive scheme that requires more LB's as starters AND depth?

Go ahead, keep being happy with your GM. Fine by me buddy. You are one of the last to realize that he's holding your team back.

Again hindsight makes you a Super GM. Had the keys been in your pocket instead of TD's you would have shed all this worthless baggage and signed 2 all-pros in their place while maintaining the salary cap and filling other holes?

All NFL teams have holes, there is no team without holes, glaring or otherwise. The good ones compensate in other areas to mask their deficiencies. It's up to the coaching staff and players this year to live up to the slogan and Rise Up.

I would have never re-upped Baker in the first place. Look, I like TD a lot, but that was a terrible move & seemed like he was letting his ego get in the way of making the right move. It's like he was trying to justify reaching for him in the 1st several year ago, when it's been obvious that he can't stay healthy and is only slightly above average in even his finest hour.

Of course there are holes, but your job as a GM is to fix them. These are the exact same holes we had last year & then some. That is the issue.

So, you seem to have the same thought process as your GM. Let me ask you, because I'm dying to know, why would you trade a decent LB for a backup QB when you are planning on implementing a new defensive scheme that requires more LB's as starters AND depth?

Go ahead, keep being happy with your GM. Fine by me buddy. You are one of the last to realize that he's holding your team back.

Yer right, I stand corrected. I read that as Dent was our best when you obviously meant Spoon.

Well at the time we had more bodies at linebacker.. stuff happens and Dent just wasn't a guy that they thought they were going to keep around. Obviously they know a little more about his abilities than anyone here. Yates has a playoff win under his belt, I don't care what the "fans" on TATF say, winning a playoff game isn't "easy" or a feat that should just be glossed over.

Yeah he stunk but considering he had 2 weeks if that to learn Koetter's offense I think it's expected. If he continues to suck for the rest of the preseason he'll be gone.

So why trade a linebacker that had little chance of making the 53 for a backup QB? You seen our backups to this point? Our offensive line still has question marks? I don't know. pretty obvious to me if Ryan goes down that's pretty much the season.

Yates was about to be cut. FO felt Dent wasn't going to make the team. They made a football trade that made sense for both sides. Hard to figure out still?

The Yates/Dent trade was more of a deal with both teams so they wouldn't have to go through waivers. We were going to cut Dent and they were going to cut Yates and both teams wanted the other. The Texans wanted LB depth, and we wanted someone who might end up being a good backup for Ryan. We did it via the trade basically to make it quicker and easier.

I would have never re-upped Baker in the first place. Look, I like TD a lot, but that was a terrible move & seemed like he was letting his ego get in the way of making the right move. It's like he was trying to justify reaching for him in the 1st several year ago, when it's been obvious that he can't stay healthy and is only slightly above average in even his finest hour.

Of course there are holes, but your job as a GM is to fix them. These are the exact same holes we had last year & then some. That is the issue.

I've gone round and round about the Baker stuff..

Just ask yourself this. At the end of the 2012 year, what would you have done then? let Baker walk? Yeah maybe don't hang an albatross contract on the team but Baker was solid that year and we didn't have many options.

I'm not doubting the TD ego thing, because the man does seem to have one and I could see him getting defensive about certain picks, especially with some of them that have washed out. I blame TD for not at least trying to get Monroe in the middle of last year, he couldn't have been worse than the tire fire we called a offensive line.

But I can't really blame him too much about the Baker contract. again hindsight is 20/20.

Just ask yourself this. At the end of the 2012 year, what would you have done then? let Baker walk? Yeah maybe don't hang an albatross contract on the team but Baker was solid that year and we didn't have many options.

I'm not doubting the TD ego thing, because the man does seem to have one and I could see him getting defensive about certain picks, especially with some of them that have washed out. I blame TD for not at least trying to get Monroe in the middle of last year, he couldn't have been worse than the tire fire we called a offensive line.

But I can't really blame him too much about the Baker contract. again hindsight is 20/20.

Yeah, that is what I am starting to fear for this year. Like last year instead of going out and finding a legitimate RT he goes and grabs a guy like Trueblood. I wanted to choke him. Man that frustrated me. If he thinks he can be cute about it again this year then I don't think he will be employed by the Falcons any longer when the season is done. If they aren't absolutely 100% sure that we have RT covered and just put a bandaid on it they might as well just quit.

I had ZERO problem with him drafting Baker in the 1st. We needed someone to protect Ryan & there was a run on LTs, so he did what he had to do.

One of the only moves I have truly hated was giving Baker that contract when it was time to re-up. HeII, they should've at least tried to tag him or something to prove he was healthy, like they did with Grimes.

Otherwise, I've defended a lot of his moves. Just seems like in the last 2 years he's been slipping. If we bring Spoon back, I may snap.

I had ZERO problem with him drafting Baker in the 1st. We needed someone to protect Ryan & there was a run on LTs, so he did what he had to do.

One of the only moves I have truly hated was giving Baker that contract. HeII, they should've at least tried to tag him or something to prove he was healthy, like they did with Grimes.

Otherwise, I've defended a lot of his moves. Just seems like in the last 2 years he's been slipping. If we bring Spoon back, I may snap.

Spoon is probably coming back so prepare yourself. Spoon will have to end up taking a pretty small contract though. He certainly isn't going to get the money he probably thought he would. After all of his injuries he needs to swallow his pride too and accept a fair deal or he can walk.

Yeah, that is what I am starting to fear for this year. Like last year instead of going out and finding a legitimate RT he goes and grabs a guy like Trueblood. I wanted to choke him. Man that frustrated me. If he thinks he can be cute about it again this year then I don't think he will be employed by the Falcons any longer when the season is done. If they aren't absolutely 100% sure that we have RT covered and just put a bandaid on it they might as well just quit.

Yeah man. agree 100%. I can't get too angry about the Baker contract, as bloated as it was. What I can get mad at is the "ego" thing if I can call it that? Not getting help for Abe after the 2010 season, not getting more depth for the oline, passing on Eugene Monroe, stubbornly sticking by "his guys" instead of shaking things up. In a lot of ways when TD talks about "players not taking crap for granted" I find myself gritting my teeth because it's a culture perpetuated by TD and Smith. Glad that jobs are on the line and fires are lit under the butts.

One of the only moves I have truly hated was giving Baker that contract when it was time to re-up. HeII, they should've at least tried to tag him or something to prove he was healthy, like they did with Grimes.

Yeah the tag would have made a lot of sense there. Can't really disagree with your last statement. I'm pretty much there myself

The Yates/Dent trade was more of a deal with both teams so they wouldn't have to go through waivers. We were going to cut Dent and they were going to cut Yates and both teams wanted the other. The Texans wanted LB depth, and we wanted someone who might end up being a good backup for Ryan. We did it via the trade basically to make it quicker and easier.

Like. Why can't people understand this?

Are we that unhappy with Matthews, Holmes, Schraeder and Johnson at tackle? Pat McQuistan? Really? And the Weems thing. Were we not already STACKED at WR enough? Julio, Roddy, Douglas, Hester, Reedy...toss in Thompson, Boldwijn and even Drew Davis, and really, what did we need Weemsy for?

Weems ST heck give him a look

Snelling. Dent, Nicholas and Franks --4 big players on special teams that will not be back this year

A Smith, Alford, Ishmael and Bierman --4 other names on special teams that may have reduced roles on ST (early) this year

Will Vaughan or McClain or Drew Davis(PUP) make the 53 this year?

that's 11 of the bigger contributors on ST last year

Does Hester really look like he's balling it on returns? Weems may give him a push

I do worry that Weems may reduced the chances of some good WRs and some of the late round draftees (LBs)

McQuistan OT

I think he's just a camp body there is no room on the 9/10 O-line roster for him Maybe if Carimi does not heal up. But I would expect them to look at the wires when cut downs come

having to find a player to fill needs two weeks before the regular season is embarrassing? Because Baker and Weatherspoon's injuries were expected right? Dent? our best linebacker? guy wasn't even assured a roster spot and somehow trading him for a backup QB with a playoff win under his belt is a bad move?

You may be fooling others with your passive aggressive pretentious bs but it's painfully obvious to me.

You are aware of how many games Weatherspoon and Baker have played vs missed in their careers, correct? Unfortunately his point is well made

Edit just read the previous page. I see you are one who tries to say everything is "20/20 hindsight"

Edited by Dirtybird56

We had one offseason to fix 2 tackle positions, a center position, and a guard position. That realistically wasn't going to happen.

In addition we went to a 3-4 scheme, requiring a slew of LB's, which we were already crappy on to begin with.

Not great decision making to be honest. You can only patch so many holes in one offseason, especially when you put yourself in that position because of poor planning 2 off seasons in a row.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not laughing, pointing fingers, making fun, none if that. I honestly think the best thing Arthur Blank, who is obviously a very smart businessman, can do is fire TD and Mike Smith.

Having to worry about finding guys to fill areas of need that was a problem last year, two weeks before the regular season is pitiful. They should be concerned with which quality player are we going to have to cut to get to 53.

Trading Dent for Yates, after you lose your best LB while switching to a scheme that requires MORE LB's is insane.

Getting Mathews was great. He was the one guy I hoped y'all didn't get in the draft but, relying on Baker with no depth behind him is also insane. TD should've brought in a top FA or drafted another Tackle to compete with Baker. He is having the same problems he had last season before the season even starts when he had all the time in the world to fix it.

I'm sorry but, TD should go. Maybe not Smith. He seems like a players coach and a pretty good one at that. Hopefully I don't offend anyone for sticking my nose where it doesn't belong.

i don't see the situation quite like you do. they signed a RT after a RT went on IR. they signed a former special teams ace after showing a very poor performance on special teams. they want antone smith getting more offensive touches which means his special teams role will diminish.

they drafted about 4 LB's this season and didn't want akeem dent, so they traded him before they knew they would cut him for a backup qb. yates has struggled in preseason, fine, he won't play anyway for some time and will have time to grasp the play book. i don't see the problem in this.

now, relying on baker, ya that was a stretch. i do agree with that. but, matthews was drafted to be baker's replacement so i still think they addressed the inevitable. RT may suffer early on, but between 3rd round pick holmes and 3rd round pick johnson they have competition from what should be decent players.

all of this to me isn't worthy of firing a general manager. is it perfect? hel no. but i think pulling the plug on the front office is a bit rash.

We had one offseason to fix 2 tackle positions, a center position, and a guard position. That realistically wasn't going to happen.

In addition we went to a 3-4 scheme, requiring a slew of LB's, which we were already crappy on to begin with.

Not great decision making to be honest. You can only patch so many holes in one offseason, especially when you put yourself in that position because of poor planning 2 off seasons in a row.

I mostly agree but RT Johnson went down prior to week 1 and Baker Went down in week 11

they had time to plan-- Maybe Matthews was 1 answer but he should not have been the only answer--maybe Carimi was a second answer since they did sign him mid Feb

BUT now Baker is down again and Carimi has gone down and missed time --even if he does make it back --

I know they can't foresee injuries and I know that it's hard to stockpile one position but boy they are in a bind if Holmes or Carimi does not step forward

Did you even notice the special teams coverage was trash? The guys we had weren't getting it done. Field position in this league is huge. Its a game of inches and with Hester and seems you're talking +8 - 10 yards better field position per st cycle.

The Special teams were even worse in Chicago with Weems! Why do you think that he will transform our special teams when he couldn't do it in Chicago???