The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Preseason Week 2

My wife has a way with words. In the second quarter when the announcers did an announcement for season tickets; my wife blurted out "Ya like i'm gonna buy season tickets after watching this crap."

I've rewatched the game with the coaches clicker focusing on mostly o-line and the front 7 of the defense... mostly cause thats about all you can see on the standard tv angle.

Here is my Good, Bad & Ugly for this week.

The Good:

O-Line - With the exception of the two Clowney plays, the line looked better. I saw Hawley actually get underpad on some plays. On our second drive we had runs of 4, 7 and 6 yards before Clowney stuffed Smith then sacked Ryan on consecutive plays to kill the drive. It was obviousl we didn't scheme for them. He's a #1 pick and he's someone you have to scheme for.

Defensive front 7 - On the first drive by Houston, they had runs of 1 yard, -1 yard and a short pass for 0 yards. On the second possession they had runs of 6, 4, 2, 10, 3 and 1(for TD). Yes a 10 yard run is not good, but that was a breakdown that will be corrected. Alford also had a bad pass interference call that made that drive possible. We also had pressure with 4 guys. Yes a sack would have been better, but chasing the QB out of the pocket and pressure is a step in the right direction. Later in the 2nd qtr there were more big plays given up, but also there were more 2nd stringers playing.

Attitude - I saw a few incidents on both O and D where our guys didn't take any **** and a scrum almost broke out because they were standing up and not letting Houston take a late shot or shove. I liked that.

The Bad:

Tone - I think we tood this game as just a preseason game and were not sharp and certainly not intense. I think Houston likely schemed a bit for this game. They had a terrible 2013 season and got blown out in their first preseason game. I think the Texans decided they needed a moral victory and we were that opportunity for them. They came to play, we came to exhibit. Not making excuses, we should have came to play and we didn't.

Passing Game - Matt is often "off" a bit at the start of a game. Don't know why, but it seems to be a pattern with him. He was cold and it showed. Julio and Roddy don't want to be playing or are afraid of getting hurt so they are not playing "all out." Maybe i'm completely wrong, but regardless, the passing game sucked. No rhythm, no syncronicity, no first downs.

The Ugly:

Coverages - Lots of blown coverages by lots of players. These should be fixable items, so while they sucked to watch... in the scheme of things, better to see the problems now than week 1.

Baker - I hated to see this happen. I wish nothing but the best for him, but we all kinda expected something like this at some point. My question is why didn't the front office?

Thomas Dimijerkoff - Ok, i've had it with this dude. He can take is little bicycle and take his metro-sexual self and his flock of seagulls hair back to Colorado and tour the country side with Lance 'one nut, transfusion' Armstrong since the GM of the Falcons is so "time demanding" on his lifestyle. This is 2 years we go into a season deficient at O-Line... not to mention several other positions. I don't think he knows what an O-Lineman actually does. Maybe he could stand back in the pocket and let all his draft picks protect him against Clowney and JJ Watt. I think he might get the picture then.

Looking forward to watching Hard Knocks Tuesday and seeing their spin.

So wait............ Our oline played well with the exception of those 2 plays............yet TD needs to go because of how the oline plays???

Really?

Sorry I should have specified. O-Line did well in first few series (the starters).

Personally, after last season I have very little confidence in Holmes. So yes I was happy to see that Hawley didn't get blown up and actually got movement on some guys on some run plays. When Baker went down for the year, I blame TD for not having enough depth at the O-Line position.

TD drafted Matthews and sign Jon Asamoah. What more could he do with the o line? We do have other needs. Cant go all O line in the draft and FA

Yes i was happy with the FA sign and the #6 draft pick, but our O-line was horrible last year. So take our starters from last year and shop them around the NFL and see which of them would start for another team? Holmes, Konz, Hawley, Blalock? who would start. I believe none of them. So yes we needed at least one more major O-Line move or at least bring in 2-3 guys to compete with the starters from last year. Specifically a tackle and a center.

The story on Matt all offseason is he's been off. I'm not to concerned because he looked good last week but usually we're only hearing about how sharp he is.

I can't speak for others, but I often see him "off" at the start of games. Sometimes he gets is dialed in by the 2nd or 3rd qtr, but sometimes not. He is human and it does happen. However, It is frustrating because it often seems like the whole team is in a funk or only plays 2-3 qtrs of football.

Only so much Dimitroff can do in one offseason. Yes, he didn't do a good job building the line and he has tacitly admitted as much by drafting Matthews and signing Asamoah. Baker was on a big contract (which was a mistake in and of itself) and getting rid of him wasn't in the cards. Now he's hurt and we'll just have to make do. I expect to see us draft a right tackle high next year, designate Baker a June 1 cut, and be done with it. It's a shame, but there it is.

As to the biking, demands on his time, etc... Hardly going to pick at a guy for somewhat wistfully wishing he had more time and enjoying what off time he does get. There anyone here who is a member of the working world who really sits around thinking, "Gosh, I sure am glad I have so much spare time!"? God knows I don't!

Ok. Yes. I agree. But what about Konz, Hawley, Blalock and the other starters from last year who got blown up? That's my point. One rookie tackle is not going to fix a 5 man o-line unit.

so is he supposed to gut the entire roster? in a cap driven league he gets to reap what he sows. the entire staff is on a 1-2 year window to right the ship. everyone knows it. his only option is to clinch an pray that half of his busts on the line somehow pan out.

Ok. Yes. I agree. But what about Konz, Hawley, Blalock and the other starters from last year who got blown up? That's my point. One rookie tackle is not going to fix a 5 man o-line unit.

.....2 and a half new starters, a new swing tackle for depth, developing young players.

I mean is this really that difficult? Maybe it works out, maybe it doesnt. But you can't cut 8 guys and sign 8 new guys.

Not to mention that OL play is often very much the product of a unit. A single upgrade can have a cascade effect that improves the line as a whole.

so is he supposed to gut the entire roster? in a cap driven league he gets to reap what he sows. the entire staff is on a 1-2 year window to right the ship. everyone knows it. his only option is to clinch an pray that half of his busts on the line somehow pan out.

I don't have this as fact, but I think we are like $14 mil under the cap this year. 7 mil last year

No we don't need to gut the entire roster, but we do need starting caliber o-linemen.

.....2 and a half new starters, a new swing tackle for depth, developing young players.

I mean is this really that difficult? Maybe it works out, maybe it doesnt. But you can't cut 8 guys and sign 8 new guys.

Not to mention that OL play is often very much the product of a unit. A single upgrade can have a cascade effect that improves the line as a whole.

Obviously i'm in the minority and it looks like were going to the dance with these guys... so I guess we are all about to find out.

Only so much Dimitroff can do in one offseason. Yes, he didn't do a good job building the line and he has tacitly admitted as much by drafting Matthews and signing Asamoah. Baker was on a big contract (which was a mistake in and of itself) and getting rid of him wasn't in the cards. Now he's hurt and we'll just have to make do. I expect to see us draft a right tackle high next year, designate Baker a June 1 cut, and be done with it. It's a shame, but there it is.

As to the biking, demands on his time, etc... Hardly going to pick at a guy for somewhat wistfully wishing he had more time and enjoying what off time he does get. There anyone here who is a member of the working world who really sits around thinking, "Gosh, I sure am glad I have so much spare time!"? God knows I don't!

Maybe I'm being a little hard on the Beaver. I just don't think when you're making the kind of pocket change he is, he should be uttering a single word of displeasure.

Obviously i'm in the minority and it looks like were going to the dance with these guys... so I guess we are all about to find out.

Last year, teams like San Diego and Chicago added rookie players and veteran reinforcements to their starting OL and went from bottom of the league units to respectable units. Its not like this doesnt happen all of the time...