Unpopular Opinions & Predictions--- Here Are Mine...what Are Yours?

Five_Fifs

-- From the first preseason game one I feel that Mike Johnson will make the roster. He looked better than Gunn in my opinon. I think Konz, Holmes, and Carimi have locked up the remaining spots.

- Somehow, someway, Cliff Matthews is going to find a way on this roster....The guy was getting early snaps in sub-package pass rush looks and looked **** good. I also believe he was running first-team on the special team coverage units. We are fairly deep at the DE with Jackson, Hageman, and Goodman. Same thing at DT with Soliai, Babs, Robertson, and Peters.

--Six corners, four safeties.......as much as want to find a way for Sean Baker or Kimarrio McFadden to get on the roster, I don't see it happening unless Lowery doesn't make it to the roster. In hindsight, I kinda wish we would've drafted someone else other than Southward in the third.....but I suppose there was no way for us to know Ishmael and Baker would look as if the could survive in the NFL. That being said, I think Arenas can pass as a 5th safety in a pinch and a valuable CB in multiple receiver sets.

-- Opinion.....Quizz should start at HB. He looks better this year than in years past (albeit in a small sample size). But with a line that actually touches defenders on occassion, I think his jitterbug/physical hybrid style is a nice fit. I think every other back on our roster is probably more talented, but I also feel that they would do better in specialized roles and limited touches......given his issues with durability, I don't want to be in a position to have to rely on Jax. I'd rather him be a battering ram in short yardage situations and a 4th quarter grind it out kind of guy. I think Tone and Devonta, aren't builty 15+ carries over the course of a season and I think their fresh legs would be that much more effective against not-so fresh defenses. Quizz is a like the 3rd pitcher in a MLB rotation who pitches to contact. He can eat up innings in a way that keeps the bullpen fresh.

-- Courtney Roby will take Drew Davis' spot. As a receiver he's better. And for the moment, he's healthy. Which Drew is not. I'm not confident that Reedy will make it to practice squad if he's cut. And as long as he keeps performing the way he is, he will make the roster in a redshirt capacity, sorta like Schraeder last year.

-Starr will not make the roster. Kroy, Massaqoui, and Osi are guaranteed slots. I think he was drafted to push Maponga, who has looked very good by most accounts. But, with Osi in a designated pass rusher role, I don't really see his value on the roster

Robert McClain will not make the roster...Arenas and Josh Wilson are better. And we are not cutting Ricardo Allen.

Also Paul Worrilow's weaknesses in coverage will be exposed to the point where he will become a 2 down player if he retains his starting job.

Edited by peoriabird

ok was the 'in a small sample size' comment directed at quizz's stature? HAHA

I think quizz could get the bulk of the carries for the first part of the season, with Freeman getting more and more as the season wears on.

reason being I think they'll have SJ on a 'pitch count' type of deal to try to keep him fresh throughout the season, and into the playoffs (yes I think we make it)

Robert McClain will not make the roster...Arenas and Josh Wilson are better. And we are not cutting Ricardo Allen

Josh Wilson is better than Alford TBH, but Alford is younger and has the higher ceiling. Wilson is most certainly better than McClain and I said he would be the surprise cut a few days ago.

Robert McClain will not make the roster...Arenas and Josh Wilson are better. And we are not cutting Ricardo Allen

Josh Wilson is better than Alford TBH, but Alford is younger and has the higher ceiling. Wilson is most certainly better than McClain and I said he would be the surprise cut a few days ago.

Not from what I've read and certainly not from what I've seen

People have said a lot of good things about Starr, all i remember from Map is both our line coaches laughing at him for fighting Holmes and not being able to beat him between the whistles. And Starr looked much better than Map in game 1.

-The new dome will go down as one of the biggest disasters in Atlanta history.

Unfortunately, I agree. It's the type of stadium that will look like **** in 8-10 years.

Mine is, we are over hyping our new dt additions. There is a reason Miami kept Starks and Tyson is getting paid a **** ton to only be a run stopper. But we won't be ranked 31st in run def this year, that's for sure.

Also I think Hageman will be a bust. /hides

1. There are relative levels of success. Consequently, some fans can be happy that we're better than we were for the first 40 years of our existence but others will only be happy with a Lombardi at team HQ. Both are right to hold those opinions and both are wrong not to recognize that "true fans" are unique.

2. Smitty is the best coach that we've ever had. With that being said, if we don't make strides, it probably won't matter if he's cut. However, I don't see another coach coming in and having instant success, so you have to be careful of what you ask for.

3. Last season was the best thing that could have happened for this year's team. I think there will be focus, competition, and enough of an edge that we will win more one-on-one battles than we would have as the presumptive best team in the division.

4. Our window will close sooner than most people think, probably within three years. Ryan is nearly 30 years old, Roddy is still beastly but about to start declining, we have no true defensive anchors, and only a couple of future stars (Julio is already a star). Unless we hit on some of this season's (and last season's) late round picks a la Seattle and Baltimore, we're going to have some issues with talent and depth.

5. We will win four games within the division and host a playoff game.

Unfortunately, I agree. It's the type of stadium that will look like **** in 8-10 years.

Mine is, we are over hyping our new dt additions. There is a reason Miami kept Starks and Tyson is getting paid a **** ton to only be a run stopper. But we won't be ranked 31st in run def this year, that's for sure.

Also I think Hageman will be a bust. /hides

There will be one thing that could change this.... And that's if the powers that be, whomever that may be, do a better job of building things up around the new done. Because it is such a unique building, they have to transform the area. (This, coming from a guy who despises gentrification). This cannot be a failed reclamation project ala Turner Field

2. Smitty is the best coach that we've ever had. With that being said, if we don't make strides, it probably won't matter if he's cut. However, I don't see another coach coming in and having instant success, so you h

I don't think that Mike Smith is running the team anymore to be honest with you. I think that the coordinators have sole control over their units and Smith is being told what to say to the media and the players. His last taped conversation with the players was a perfect example of how he is now contradicting things that he has believed in since arriving like "sometimes penalties are necessary" I guarantee that came straight from Blanks after the Vaccaro incident.