Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry

How Much Does Pressure Matter?

6 posts in this topic

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2014/2013-pressure-plays-defense

This article breaks down passing DVOA allowed on plays were defenses generated pressure vs. DVOA allowed on plays where the defense did not generate pressure.

As it pertains to us:

Good News

We were 6th in the league in passing DVOA allowed on the plays that we generated pressure.

These plays averaged 2.2 yards per attempt. That would be good for a tie for 4th best.

Bad News

We only generated pressure on 21.5% of attempts against us.....29th in the league.

On passing attempts where we did not get pressure.....we were worst in the league in DVOA allowed.

Our 8.7 yards per attempt allowed was worse than the 31st ranked team by nearly half a yard.

Conclusions

We're a very competent defense when we get pressure.....we just dont get pressure very frequently. That needs to change. An increase from 21.5% of plays to 25% of plays would rank us in the top half of the league. Here's hoping the presence of big bodies up front and new approaches leads to an uptick in pressures.

I'd guess that we're punished more than most other teams when our pressure packages don't get there. Off the top of my head I think we were the most blitz happy team in the league last year blitzing on 38% of pass attempts. So if we're blitzing on 38% of pass attempts but only getting pressure on 21.5% of passing attempts theres a minimum of 17% of pass attempts where we have a lack of backside numbers.....thats not good. Especially when you consider that we likely have closer to 20+% of plays where we sent extra men and didnt pressure the QB.

Thats awful. So we really need to get pressure with 4. It doesnt have to be the same 4 or the 4 up front or anything like that. But the more we have to send 5-7 guys, the more likely it is that we're going to get GOUGED.

blkbigdog35 and Knight of God like this

Thanks for the article OP and I agree with you on your conclusion. We have to find a way for our front 4 guys to be very active in trying to create pressure. I would prefer not to blitz this much.

Thanks for the article OP and I agree with you on your conclusion. We have to find a way for our front 4 guys to be very active in trying to create pressure. I would prefer not to blitz this much.

I'm fine "blitzing" if we're talking about sending non-front 4 pass rushers. We just cant find ourselves in situation where we're sending 6 guys consistently.

I dont think we need all of our pressure to come from our front....we just need to get pressure from 4 or 5.

I think Bierman will allow us to be a bit more creative in that regard

Very interesting stuff. I hope Nolan brings his A-game this year. We need to get to the QB. Even if it's only good pressure and some good legal hits as the QB throws the ball. Fingers crossed.

With the way interference/holding/illegal contact is being called, sacks will be more important than pressure alone. Now, if the QB is rushed and manages to get the pass off, even if it's a bad pass, there's a great chance that a penalty will result in a first down. If we cannot get the QB on the turf or tip a pass, at the line flags are going to kill us.