Ranking The 32 Offenses.

treefiddy

ESPN Insider Article.

"Recently, Sam Monson and the Pro Football Focus analysis team ranked all 32 teams in the NFL by their current roster. Now, we take a look at all 32 teams in further depth. Below, you'll see not only where each team's offense ranks, but also how each position group -- quarterbacks, running backs, offensive line and receivers -- grades out against the rest of the NFL.

espn-rank-zzz-scale.png

In order to compile the ranks, we used PFF's graded depth charts series as a starting point to grade and rank position groups throughout the league, weighting those rankings toward the starters and moderating our expectations for rookies according to the performance PFF data expects them to achieve in Year 1 by draft position.

Offenses are divided into four position groups: quarterbacks, running backs (including blocking backs), receivers (wideouts and tight ends) and the offensive line. The color-coded images at the right of every team include the team's NFL ranking in each of the four position groups (see the key at right -- green is good, red is bad).

Falcons offense ranking #12

espn-rank-atl-O.png

Overreactions about his play in the postseason aside, Matt Ryan is still one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Despite having many key injuries around him, he still had the third-highest accuracy percentage in the league last year at 78.4 percent and also had the sixth-highest accuracy percentage on plays during which he was under pressure.

That's important, because their offensive line was one of the worst in the league last year, allowing 264 total pressures from 710 passing plays, and needs rookie first-rounder Jake Matthews to be great from the outset to be much better in 2014. Tony Gonzalez will be a big loss, as he dropped just four of the 87 catchable passes thrown his way in 2013, but the receiving corps will be boosted by the return of Julio Jones."

For those without access here are the rankings.

1. Saints

2. Broncos

3. Packers

4. Eagles

5. Patriots

6. Seahawks

7. 49ers

8. Chargers

9. Lions

10. Steelers

11. Vikings

12. Falcons

13. Bears

14. Cowboys

15. Redskins

16. Colts

17. Panthers

18. Bengals

19. Dolphins

20. Titans

21. Giants.

22. Bucs

23. Chiefs

24. Ravens

25. Texans

26. Browns

27. Rams

28. Raiders

29. Cardinals

30. Bills

31. Jets

32. Jaguars

Falcons #17 WR corps. Discuss!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little biased by I think we have the best WR group in the league. Others that you could even mention with our core would be Denver (D Thomas, W Welker, etc...), Chicago (B Marshall and A Jefferey), and Green Bay (J Nelson, R Cobb, etc...), Arizona (Fitzgerald and Floyd), and Washington (Garcon and DJax). Nobody else that I can think of is even in the ballpark.

On paper the 9'ers have a pretty good WR group. Wouldn't even consider taking them over ours but they should probably be up there if Washington is.

I'm a little biased by I think we have the best WR group in the league. Others that you could even mention with our core would be Denver (D Thomas, W Welker, etc...), Chicago (B Marshall and A Jefferey), and Green Bay (J Nelson, R Cobb, etc...), Arizona (Fitzgerald and Floyd), and Washington (Garcon and DJax). Nobody else that I can think of is even in the ballpark.

The WR groups you mentioned are ranked...

Denver #4

Chicago #3

Packers #20

Cardinals #24

Washington #8

The Saints are #2, Niners #1

The WR groups you mentioned are ranked...

Denver #4

Chicago #3

Packers #20

Cardinals #24

Washington #8

The Saints are #2, Niners #1

Cardinals 24'th? Fitz alone is better than more team's entire WR corps than that. Floyd is a very good #2 as well. Makes no sense.

For that matter why the **** are the Ain'ts #2? Stills is alright, but who else do they have? A rookie? Colston and Meachem turn into good players when i wasn't looking? Brees is their WR success. Horrible ranking.

Edited by Lornoth

Cardinals 24'th? Fitz alone is better than more team's entire WR corps than that. Floyd is a very good #2 as well. Makes no sense.

For that matter why the **** are the Ain'ts #2? Stills is alright, but who else do they have? A rookie? Colston and Meachem turn into good players when i wasn't looking? Brees is their WR success. Horrible ranking.

I think they are looking at more then just WR. You've got to include JG in their receiving core. Colston is no slouch either he is a seasoned vet that happens to be a 1,000yd receiver. I certainly don't think they have the best receiving core though. If Cooks burst on to the scene out of the gate I could see the argument.

As far as the Falcon's I understand the middle of the pack ranking. Unless you're a believer in Douglas the receiving core consists of RW and JJ. When healthy one of the best, if not the best, duo's in the league. Problem is outside of Falcon fans I think you'd be hard pressed to find a football fan that believes those two will play in all 16 regular season games. Add to that the lack of depth their are question marks.

I think they are looking at more then just WR. You've got to include JG in their receiving core. Colston is no slouch either he is a seasoned vet that happens to be a 1,000yd receiver. I certainly don't think they have the best receiving core though. If Cooks burst on to the scene out of the gate I could see the argument.

As far as the Falcon's I understand the middle of the pack ranking. Unless you're a believer in Douglas the receiving core consists of RW and JJ. When healthy one of the best, if not the best, duo's in the league. Problem is outside of Falcon fans I think you'd be hard pressed to find a football fan that believes those two will play in all 16 regular season games. Add to that the lack of depth their are question marks.

Douglas had over a thousand yards receiving last season. That's our #3...

He's a 1000 yard capable WR...

Saints #1? Don't understand that at all... They are high on Brandin Cooks and Mark Ingram after one pre-season game... ONE!!!

I hated that they picked Cooks but I think he will be a monster for them. I just don't know the when. He fits perfectly into their system and everything coming out of their training camp has been positive on Cooks. The kid is going to be good to great for them. Ingram is trash though and it's nice to see they are still adamant about getting him 15-20 touches a game.

Colston hasn't done anything HD hasn't. He's decent but not warranting of a #2 ranking.

As for Graham maybe you're right. I'm kind of confused if they're ranking WR's or just Receivers here. If he's involved i guess that makes it somewhat feasible, though i'd still disagree with it. Cooks can obviously change that but he shouldn't be a cause for something like this already. Too soon.

Colston hasn't done anything HD hasn't. He's decent but not warranting of a #2 ranking.

As for Graham maybe you're right. I'm kind of confused if they're ranking WR's or just Receivers here. If he's involved i guess that makes it somewhat feasible, though i'd still disagree with it. Cooks can obviously change that but he shouldn't be a cause for something like this already. Too soon.

TE's are added

Colston has been in the league 8 years and has 6 1000+ yd seasons. The two he didn't were last year (943yds) and 2008 where he only played 11 games. Douglas has been in the league 5 years with only one 1000yd season the other 4 he had less then 500yds receiving. Don't compare the two. If you're a believer in Douglas that's great. I won't argue against it but at the same time I won't fault someone for thinking Douglas' production was a result of a poor defensive team (high scoring games) and injuries.

I can't read the article but the box says receivers and I certainly include JG in the receiver category.