The Amendments--- Preseason Notes By Five Fifs

Five_Fifs

Finally ponied up and paid for preseason live and as I lay in bed watching each play several times in slow-mo, I've taken away a few things from the first quarter

- Toilolo's run blocking is drastically underrated. I think when most of us think of run blocking, we're looking for guys to get moved backwards off the ball several yards. In reality, that's not the norm for good run blocking.

The best of the best consistently stone wall a guy at the LOS or move him back or off the mark a yard or so consistently.

Watching in slo mo, Toi really gets off the line quickly and holds the point of attack really well. He blocked down on the end a couple of times and really sealed off the edge for our pulling guards and Hawley.

- Baker and Asamoah look like grown men. Baker is moving really well and is really impacting guys when he gets his hands on them. Asamoah is far more agile than I originally thought.the only knock I had on him was that he didn't lay out some guys (backers and secondary guys) when he hit them while pulling. But that's being picky. He was an absolute wall in pass blocking and generally handled his man in the run game.

- You Hawley haters are really reaching..... Guy had one bad play---- and we still scored a touchdown on it.no doubt he was schooled by Starks on that down, but so was our golden boy Matthews on the first play of the game

- I encourage everyone who can to go and watch Blalock..... He's plenty serviceable, but he's clearly not what we tend to think he is. On the pass play Tone had called back, he had one of the 3 worst showings by our starting linemen that night (Jake losing to Starks on the first play and Hawley getting blown back of the ball at the GL being the others.) Mano a Mano he was absolutely dusted by the DT.

He's pretty hit or miss when pulling or hitting someone in the second level. There were a few times he came off the line fairly clean and didn't hit anyone. He was and is still **** good if he gets his hands in you right away, though.

I'm gonna put the sack in Antone, though it seems as if JB should have took him as the first guy in the hole and the inner most ( closest to the QB) rusher

-Quizz's stop and go game is just silliness.. ... He eked out every yard that was there for him to get.

- nothing to say bout Tone.... We all know the kid is true testimony

-our kickoff team in our second kickoff included McFadden, Cliff Matthews, Shuler and Roby.... Wonder if that is any indication that they are ST favorites??? Would be most surprised about Matthews inclusion if that was the case, given the depth at his position.

-all this fuss about the pass rush, or lack thereof..... I really didn't see any situation that really provided an opportunity to "rush" per se. Tannehill was getting the ball out quick to short routes or running read option type plays that naturally slow down an end if he's doing his job right. My end point? Pass rush gets an incomplete for the night. Babs was a quarter second slow to moving Tannehill off his spot or sacking him on the big gainer, which was the longest Tannehill was in the pocket the whole night---- 3 seconds. Simply not enough to give these guys a failing grade just yet.

-if we're gonna cry over the defense in the first drive, give em credit for the 3 and out the next drive out. Soliai flashed an ability to penetrate and TJax was stout.

Ishmael looks like a quality backup...... Not sure if I want him starting necessarily, but he moves well and moves with certainty and purpose. Whether he's moving the right place, im not in a position to say..... But aside from the goal line miscommunication, I don't have much to say. Solid player for a 2nd year 7th rounder.

That's it for the first quarter..... I'll update the other quarters when I'm able

Edited by Five_Fifs

To me, watching the first drive, it seemed like Bartu and Ishmael were the biggest offenders. Both seemed to make mental errors on a few occasions, that resulted in big plays. Neither really showed poor athletic ability. It was more about being where you're supposed to be, and knowing your assignment, and I think that both struggled in that regard, in that first drive. They both did, however, improve as the game went on.

Edit: Yeah, watching it again, and focusing only on Bartu, I take back what I said. The ball was just away from a lot was all.

good post, thanks!

I still haven't gotten to see that first drive, freakin storm came in and knocked the satellite out 2 minutes before the start and lasted long enough for me to see the fins TD at the end of the first drive. I didn't get the chance to watch the replay yet, but its on again Tue morning I believe, and I intend on watching the whole game again.

thanks for the breakdown. You've just put down a LOT of the "talk is cheap" kinda stuff that's been on here all weekend

To me, watching the first drive, it seemed like Bartu and Ishmael were the biggest offenders. Both seemed to make mental errors on a few occasions, that resulted in big plays. Neither really showed poor athletic ability. It was more about being where you're supposed to be, and knowing your assignment, and I think that both struggled in that regard, in that first drive. They both did, however, improve as the game went on.

I'll have disagree with you on Bartu..... He definitely missed a tackle on the first lil angle route by Lamar Miller out of the backfield and attacked the outside shoulder instead if the inside.... Allowed Miller to get 3-4 extra yards, giving the Phins the advantage down and distance wise the rest of that down. But the next time a short pass came up, I think to Gibson, he wrapped him up and got him down right away, albeit for a first down. ( gained 4 on 3rd and 2 I believe) but every pass can't be defended..... That's a reality. I don't recall him being an impact, good or bad, on any other play, really.

If you notice something else, let me know.

I'll be really concerned with Ish if Lowery isn't back AND Ish is still our fill in starter AND having brain farts in game 3. Until then, he's a 7th rounder who saw 3 snaps last season.

Either he or Alford goofed the TD play. But honestly, it was a **** of a call. Motioning Gibson across the formation and his timing in motioning back across really didn't provide a lot if time to communicate. Just gotta tip your hat sometimes.

I will say that in a situation where the D has game planned, homework and preparation is the best defense to that play.

I have to disagree. I think Worrilow and Ishmael.

I think we all agree that Ishmael allowed the TD altho it could have been Alford.

But Worrilow didn't get deep enough on that 18 yard completion.

2nd quarter

First play of the 3rd series, a hole opens up in the A gap b/t Hawley and Blalock ( go figure lol). Tone bounces outside of Matthews where Toi and DiMarco are lined up as double TE. The two get no push but basically stand the guys up. I'm BELIEVE Tone was suppose to run it up the middle, where a safety stepped into the box late. If he's gunning for more snaps he has to take the 3-4 yards that were their for the taking. Instead, he ran into a mush of men for a harder two. Every yards counts.

Dion Jordan and Shelby walked Baker into Yates lap on the edge rush. The interior three did a great job and a pocket was there for Yates, but he didn't use it. Some folks say he almost got picked on the play..... They pay no attention to the yellow interference flag that was thrown

That holding call on Matthews on Tone's run was BS..... The back judge threw it based on the way they went to the grown, not the block itself. Still, in positives, Awesome-Wow, Brawley and Blalock all showed some hustle getting down feel with Tone.

The missed diving interception of Yates was a **** of a read by the DB, aided by Yates staring Toi down the entire time. He knows better. I expect better. That was a rookie mistake.

Our first true pass rush situation came on a 3rd and 7 w/ 10:15 left in the 2nd quarter. Interesting to me that Cliff Matthews got the call before M-Goody at DT next to Hageman. We did an EXCELLENT job of collapsing the pocket as a UNIT. The QB had no choice but to get rid of the ball early or run backwards out if the pocket. Contain was excellent.

Hageman looked really good on the play, contrasted with his first snap earlier in the drive where he still made the play, but got his pad a bit high (Travian too) and lost some ground. The run went for 3 yards. Probably could d been a a No Gain if they stayed true to fundamentals. Small thing though, esp for a first preseason game.

Also gotta give Arenas his props for a **** of a break to get the PD

We get the ball back, it's first and 20 after the Ebert PI..... Yates rolls out and almost gets picked in the sideline. I'm gonna add an in game perspective and add that receivers route on this play was horrible. Yates could've threw it completely away and probably should've, but if you're gonna force a throw, he did a good job of placing it where the defender couldn't truly come away with it.

Also, this is Yates 2nd drive of the game and it's worth noting that he on both series he's faced 1st and 20s ( the Matthews "hold" and the Ebert PI). Tough spot for a guy to be in who's just learning the playbook. Didn't help that Roby fell down a yard short in the first series on 3rd and 13. Also, that second 1st and 20 ended up as a .3rd and 34 after a personal foul against Schraeder. The guy really got a raw deal his first two series out there.

Closing off the discussion on the first team OL.....they allowed 2 or 3 real pressures in two series. The Blalock loss to Starks, the double LB blitz that Antone got blown up on, and the second series where Baker and Matthews got walked back into Yates. Only the blitz resulted in anything real and that play was called back. I'd say the pass pro looks **** good. Asamoah-Baker Hawley- Matthews/ Blalock in that order

Run game.... Ehhh. Quizz saved us from looking really bad. We consistently had one guy or another lose at the POA and throw everything off. But I understand progress...... Progress is we had no runs for kids yardage in spite if our shortcomings. Our negative runs have turned into no gains or short gains. And if Matty Ice and co. Can stay in schedule down and distance wise, or close to it, we are going to be a problem.

2nd team line makes it's appearance mid way through the 2nd.

After I complimented Toi in the first quarter, he gets blown up in the edge in the 2nd by a DE. Konz and Gunn pull to his side, but can't do much because the edge is 2 yards in the back field.

I'm noticing a lot of our guys whiff when pulling. They hit a guy and then fall as opposed the chopping effectively and getting the defender off his feet or locking on to him and working him out the way. Specifically , I'm talking about this one play with Gunn on the blown sweep. Asamoah and Hawley do a good job if at least keeping their feet and staying in the way. Hopefully soon, Tice can graduate these guys to truly blocking on the move.

Massaqoui is gonna be just fine. He had a couple if nice plays in the run game in both quarters, highlighted by the play where he absolutely exploded onto the HB Damien Williams for a 4 yd loss.

The 2nd team D really stood tall after getting horrible field position after the long Landry punt return. Didn't give up a first down and held then to a FG attempt. Even had a decent collapse situation on 3rd and 6 pass rush that kept Lovado from stepping into his throw to Cone on the sideline. That's two 3 and outs on 3 series, if you're counting.

Yates 3rd possession. Starts off inside the 10, Phins bring 6, including a delayed LB. Everyone holds strong, even Antone stones an outside blitzer. Gunn misses the delayed guy, but it really doesn't matter as Yates already is getting rid of it. Missed back shoulder throw

Gunn and Schraeder lose a double team against a DT. Johnson was pulling, had no hole to come through. Tone has to tap dance, backside LB chases him down in the backfield. Toi had a good block on the play side end, though.

Lamar Holmes looks like a new person. Awareness still needs to step up, as shown by the DT twist forcing Yates out the pocket to avoid a sack, but man to man, he's moving much more smoothly. Makes you wonder if he was hurt, on top of being out of shape last year

Next, defensive stirs starts off w/ Ish playing a really good cat and mouse game b/t blitzing and dropping deep. He blitzes and does a decent job taking on the pulling lineman. He makes "the play" but Dobbins misses the tackle for loss. Still, Travian works over to limit the gain to 1. Dolphins convert third and long. Pass rush gets some modicum of pressure, coverage down field is good, the dump off pass receiver is able to outrun Dobbins to the edge. Big gain.

Hageman gets a TFL, immediately tossing the blocker and chasing the back down the line. Grown man play right there. Also a Starr sighting. Held up the edge well.

Maponga follows up by getting a nice rush (his 2nd of the game) by not biting on the read option.

Miami really stresses a defense horizontally and mentally. They're gonna have success vertically this season because they will catch folks flatfooted for one reason or the other.

Cliff Matthews getting slot of snaps in the 3rd and long nickle package at DT. I keep expecting to see M-Goody, but evidently Cliff is getting every chance to earn a spot. I imagine it's Corey Peters whose his primary competition, as these are situations where I'd expect to see CP. Cliffs not disappointing, providing decent collapsing in the pocket.

Arenas splits the block on another horizontal challenge and blows the receiver up immediately. Defense off the field after 1 first down.

Yates 2 minute drill. I'm going to condense my insights here.....Yates finally gets a chance to work on schedule. Pass pro looks better. Lamar Holmes looks a million miles better than last year and maybe better than anyone on the unit aside from his willful retreat in pass pro. On a few snaps, he kind of backs himself into the direction of the QB.... He's hit getting pushed there and it really doesn't seem it's bothering Yates, but still it's odd. Also, it's easy to see why his arm length us such an asset. He's doing a fricking marvelous job if riding guys pass the pocket, even showing awareness on one play and falling off his man and picking up a blitzer.

Yates was a bit high on a couple passes (Boldewijn and Freeman at the goal line). Both probably still should've been caught. Roby has a couple big catches. Yates timing and lack of familiarity with Boldewijn and Ebert is even more evident..... I wanna see how he looks next week.

It seems like the staff views Reedy strictly as a slot guy, which is a bit disheartening. Roby, Ebert, and Boldewijn eating up the outside snaps. That's a tough way to make the roster with HD and Hester already here. And his size may knock him on ST. Still, the kid makes plays and we can only hope......

Our interior line looks like crud on run plays, solid in pass pro.

TD was on Alford, he had him man 2 man lost him in the motion. Rematch the play Alford was in man 2 man coverage

I can buy that. My curiosity was with a late motion like that if there is an "off" kind of call , because there really was no way for Alford to make through all that traffic and still cover Gibson.

Nevertheless, I think the play call itself was just a good call by MIA

I have to disagree. I think Worrilow and Ishmael.

I think we all agree that Ishmael allowed the TD altho it could have been Alford.

But Worrilow didn't get deep enough on that 18 yard completion.

IMO Worrilow should be asked to stop runs and hit the QB... he's not a coverage ILB. Save the coverage for Bartu or Shembo, both seem better at it. Ishmael def. cost us that TD also.

Good post but I thought Baker and McFadden played a lot better than Ishmael. Of course they were going against the B team though.

I would love to see McFadden get thrown to the fire next game and see how he turns out. **** keep Willy Mo out the whole time and run Ishmael + McFadden and Baker + McFadden or vice versa

Man, I want to give you a +1, but you guys need to work on the whole "crying" nonsense. People are stating what they see and not "crying" over it. If you don't like that, then ignore the posts period. Other than that and not understanding what folks mean about pass rushing on the edge, this is a great post. Learn more about what folks (like me) are saying about the edge man. I use to not really understand either.

Also, Ishmael is more a SS than a FS. I like what I saw, but his coverage stinks.

Blalock is not as good as advertised, but he will do. I was calling for a OG in the third or fourth. I don't think you stop getting players because you think you already have them.

Great post for a great poster...except what I pointed out.

Man, I want to give you a +1, but you guys need to work on the whole "crying" nonsense. People are stating what they see and not "crying" over it. If you don't like that, then ignore the posts period. Other than that and not understanding what folks mean about pass rushing on the edge, this is a great post. Learn more about what folks (like me) are saying about the edge man. I use to not really understand either.

Also, Ishmael is more a SS than a FS. I like what I saw, but his coverage stinks.

Blalock is not as good as advertised, but he will do. I was calling for a OG in the third or fourth. I don't think you stop getting players because you think you already have them.

Great post for a great poster...except what I pointed out.

I'll take the compliments lol.

I understand what others are saying about pass rush. I don't think I really "came at" anyone for their difference in opinion though. Just giving my two cents on a point of contention. It is a message board after all

IMO Worrilow should be asked to stop runs and hit the QB... he's not a coverage ILB. Save the coverage for Bartu or Shembo, both seem better at it. Ishmael def. cost us that TD also.

True but preseason is the time to learn. He will be come a liability of he is only out there for run downs. People will start to notice and change the pass play when he is in there, especially playaction