Scouting Jake Matthews Vs Miami

Kayoh

I posted this the other day as a response to somebody trying to call out PFF for grading Jake too low against Miami. I figured I'd make a thread about it because it probably deserves its own discussion.

1st play from scrimmage, he whifs a block on Starks. Starks blew the play up, big time, and it was very clearly Matthews' job to seal him out of the play.

2nd play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

3rd play he got to the second level, but couldn't keep his balance & ended up falling over.

4th play, he initiates a block but doesn't hold it long enough & the guy he was blocking ended up making the tackle.

5th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

6th play, clean pocket, ~3.5 seconds before Matt throws it. He was holding, but it wasn't called.

7th play, he just dives at Wake's feet, doesn't really even slow him down that much.

8th play, rides Wake out of the play, but A.Smith whifs on his block and Matt gets sacked.

9th play, the infamous Quizz start-stop play. Matthews did his job here.

10th play, Matthews with a pancake on Wake. This was one where Starks ate Hawley for lunch. TFL

11th play, he got pushed back a bit by Wake, but Ryan got rid of it quick so no pressure surrendered.

12th play, he sealed his man, but it looked like a hold to me. Wasn't called, so great play.

13th play, he did his job.

14th play, he double teamed Derrick Shelby with Toilolo & they won.

15th play, reasonable success vs Shelby.

16th play, got caught holding Shelby.

17th play, missed his assignment and caused Matt to take a big shot from Wheeler. NOT GOOD.

18th play, dove at Odrick's feet. Odrick was the first guy to Quizz, who powered through it for the TD.

19th play, successfully sealed Shelby out of the play.

20th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

21st play, got beat by Shelby but grabbed him & got called for holding. This was the Smith TD run.

22nd play, was getting pushed into the QB's lap when he got rid of the ball.

23rd play was a draw play. Jake got knocked on his ass by A.Johnson while trying to block Shelby.

24th play clean-ish pocket, but he was getting beat when Yates got rid of the ball.

You have to expect mistakes in the first game by pretty much everyone. What you also expect is that those mistakes get eliminated as you go on. Sometimes, you just get beat and no mistakes are made...

wait what? you mean a man ain't supposed to be perfect in his first ever pro game setting?

and why isn't there a 'scratching it's head' smiley?

His 1st game as a Pro,he is bound to have mistakes,and struggle not to mention he went up against one of the premier rushers in the League.

What's crazy is that I feel like he actually did better against Wake than he did against Derrick Shelby.

2nd play is a regular play in the nfl. Pass for 10 yards, Matthews keeps his man at bay

3rd play he falls because Hawley is already on the ground and their feet get tangled. Sustained his block long enough and would have if not for the feet getting tangled

4th play he gets to the second level and seals off the LB.. The other LB made the tackle. Looks like it could've been Blalock who was supposed to seal the other LB. Once again not on Matthews

6th play is not holding...

I'll keep going I guess lol

7th play is a quick pass to the TE. The OL knows this and that's why you see Baker cut block on the other side too. He does exactly what he needs to on this play

10th play Starks ate Hawley because the refs MISSED the entire O and Dline moving before Hawley snapped the ball

11th play dude OT's don't keep their man at the line of scrimmage. They either ride them out or take on the rush. He does what he is supposed to and takes it on, do you see how he has his man locked up when Ryan releases the ball? He gives up the initial ground to set his feet and stonewall the guy..

18th play he could have slowed Odrick down more but his responsibility on this play is simply to slow his man down. He does what is needed but Hawley getting his as* handed to him gives Odrick a chance to make contact on Quizz

20th play once again a regular nfl throw. Not a 3 step quick pass like you keep alluding to

24th play he held his man long enough for a long 3rd and 13 conversion

All I can really agree with in your analysis is him missing his man on the first play of the game, not picking up his man on 3rd and 3, and the potential holding call. He didn't get physically beat, it was mental errors which is expected from a rookie OT in his very first game. I am sure he will get it cleaned up

I posted this the other day as a response to somebody trying to call out PFF for grading Jake too low against Miami. I figured I'd make a thread about it because it probably deserves its own discussion.

1st play from scrimmage, he whifs a block on Starks. Starks blew the play up, big time, and it was very clearly Matthews' job to seal him out of the play.

2nd play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

3rd play he got to the second level, but couldn't keep his balance & ended up falling over.

4th play, he initiates a block but doesn't hold it long enough & the guy he was blocking ended up making the tackle.

5th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

6th play, clean pocket, ~3.5 seconds before Matt throws it. He was holding, but it wasn't called.

7th play, he just dives at Wake's feet, doesn't really even slow him down that much.

8th play, rides Wake out of the play, but A.Smith whifs on his block and Matt gets sacked.

10th play, Matthews with a pancake on Wake. This was one where Starks ate Hawley for lunch. TFL

11th play, he got pushed back a bit by Wake, but Ryan got rid of it quick so no pressure surrendered.

12th play, he sealed his man, but it looked like a hold to me. Wasn't called, so great play.

17th play, missed his assignment and caused Matt to take a big shot from Wheeler. NOT GOOD.

18th play, dove at Odrick's feet. Odrick was the first guy to Quizz, who powered through it for the TD.

20th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.

21st play, got beat by Shelby but grabbed him & got called for holding. This was the Smith TD run.

22nd play, was getting pushed into the QB's lap when he got rid of the ball.

23rd play was a draw play. Jake got knocked on his ass by A.Johnson while trying to block Shelby.

24th play clean-ish pocket, but he was getting beat when Yates got rid of the ball.

Edited by Tuggle. That's a week off.

What's crazy is that I feel like he actually did better against Wake than he did against Derrick Shelby.

now not to take anything away from matthews, but could it more so Wake not going all out due to it bein the first game compared to Shelby tryn to earn a roster spot? Same can be said about Matthews tho after the first series letting up a bit.

I'll just say this, remember when Alford was the supposed "starter" after preseason by most on this board and Trufant looked like another poor trade up by TD.

What happened when the season kicked off? Trufant showed why he was the best CB in the draft last year and Alford showed why people called him raw. I expect the same with Matthews. The NFL is a new monster, but I expect after studying film and gameplanning for a real game, the true Matthews will show up.

I think Miami's dline is underrated

Really not trying to come off as a smart ***, but who is underrating their dline? Bc its nasty and they have depth. I like their defense a lot. Very talented. I like how the Falcons moved down the field that first drive. Gratned no game planning was involved, it was very methodical. Reminded me of 2008-2010 offense.

2nd play, clean pocket, but a quick pass. ....you cant punish him for a quick pass. there are things he is doing well if the pass got off quick. he still needs to block his man and keep his guys hands down.

3rd play he got to the second level, but couldn't keep his balance & ended up falling over.......lineman fall over all the time. i believe this is the play where he left too early on the scoop block. i like the zone looks with him and asamoah. they will be solid once they start getting comfortable.

5th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass..............already covered this

6th play, clean pocket, ~3.5 seconds before Matt throws it. He was holding, but it wasn't called.......really? lol this is funny

7th play, he just dives at Wake's feet, doesn't really even slow him down that much..........this is something that was drawn up that way. he was supposed to do that

8th play, rides Wake out of the play, but A.Smith whifs on his block and Matt gets sacked.........well then he did good didnt he? lol

12th play, he sealed his man, but it looked like a hold to me. Wasn't called, so great play.......again, im laughing. cant knock a guy for a penalty that didnt get called. come on

17th play, missed his assignment and caused Matt to take a big shot from Wheeler. NOT GOOD.......preseason game. missed assignments are gonna happen. be realistic here.

18th play, dove at Odrick's feet. Odrick was the first guy to Quizz, who powered through it for the TD......designed that way

20th play, clean pocket, but a quick pass.......dude come on lol

22nd play, was getting pushed into the QB's lap when he got rid of the ball........this block was fine. you are nitpicking here

23rd play was a draw play. Jake got knocked on his *** by A.Johnson while trying to block Shelby.....What? he flushed his guy outside and got pushed over. please watch some more football and learn how the trenches work. people fall non-stop. this was on the back side of a play the he did his job on. youmake it sound like he got manhandled

24th play clean-ish pocket, but he was getting beat when Yates got rid of the ball........."when Yates got rid of the ball".....well then it sounds like he did his job.

please dont evaluate lineman in the future. you arent very good at it

Edited by Truth.

I thought he played meh. Everybody likes him so there may be some blinders on. I do expect him to get much better because this was his first game and no game planning. So he didn't have a chance to study his opponent.

We noticed from camp that when he know his opponent he plays better so I'm expecting week 3 to be a good one.

But all in all he didn't play that well imo.

Edited by Tuggle. That's a week off.

I'm glad you called me a _____ king genius. But I don't think we should start anyone BUT Jake at RT. He's going to grow, develop and learn, I was just observing how he performed in his first NFL game. Time to grow up and stop picking fights on the internet, pal.

I'll just say this, remember when Alford was the supposed "starter" after preseason by most on this board and Trufant looked like another poor trade up by TD.

What happened when the season kicked off? Trufant showed why he was the best CB in the draft last year and Alford showed why people called him raw. I expect the same with Matthews. The NFL is a new monster, but I expect after studying film and gameplanning for a real game, the true Matthews will show up.

Most people only said that because of the Gresham hit...Tru was actually pretty good the rest of the preseason