It's Only 1 Pre-Season Game In But This Definitely Seems Like A Different Team

JG2008

It's only 1 pre-season game in but this definitely seems like a different team

I am impressed with this new team - I also like the fact that the coaching staff is FINALLY warming up to actually utilizing A Smith at RB

Unlike prior years all of our backup QB's seem to be competent

My only concern is the lack of a strong consistent pass rush from the front D Line but I think then D against the Run seems much better

I expect the pass rush that to be taken care of in next years draft and FA

Overall I'd say our coaching changes on the lines and our new players seem to have definitely changed the culture at flowery branch for the better

It's only 1 pre-season game in but this definitely seems like a different team

I am impressed with this new team - I also like the fact that the coaching staff is FINALLY warming up to actually utilizing A Smith at RB

Unlike prior years all of our backup QB's seem to be competent

My only concern is the lack of a strong consistent pass rush from the front D Line but I think then D against the Run seems much better

I expect the pass rush that to be taken care of in next years draft and FA

Overall I'd say our coaching changes on the lines and our new players seem to have definitely changed the culture at flowery branch for the better

I agree man. I could definitely feel and see that the team was different than years passed. Hopefully as camp and preseason go on they continue to jell and start playing tighter. I also believe once it's real game time and Nolan and Koetter start using their actual playbooks we see a lot more creativity. We all know they aren't going to show their hand in a preseason game. I can't wait to see what Nolan does with the defensive play calling. I wonder how he will address the pass rushing situation.

And the game was watchable in the 3rd and 4th quarters because of competent backs ups and 2 competent quarterbacks

I was thinking the same thing.

The past few years the #1s more-or-less held their own during preseason, but the backups were getting pushed around in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters and we'd consistently lose the preseason games. In the game against Miami I thought our backups actually outperformed the Miami backups, and if that trend continues through the preseason that bodes well for our depth.

Although it was painful last year the experience gained by a bunch of young players will serve us well going forward.

I was thinking the same thing.

The past few years the #1s more-or-less held their own during preseason, but the backups were getting pushed around in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters and we'd consistently lose the preseason games. In the game against Miami I thought our backups actually outperformed the Miami backups, and if that trend continues through the preseason that bodes well for our depth.

Although it was painful last year the experience gained by a bunch of young players will serve us well going forward.

It felt great to see our depth finally look good in a preseason game.

If I recall it seemed like the first team left the field with the lead in each of our four preseason games last year only for the backups to get ran out of the building. I hope the depth we saw in Friday's game holds up to become the standard.

it was nice to see some depth...was the only reason I ever wanted our birds to do well in preseason...show off our depth

First preseason game in a looooong loooong time where I was standing up and cheering for the win. The fumble recovery helped along by Starr had me jumping up and down. Then I thought to myself , wait this is only preseason. Then I said the heck with it and started jumping up and down again. :lol:

First preseason game in a looooong loooong time where I was standing up and cheering for the win. The fumble recovery helped along by Starr had me jumping up and down. Then I thought to myself , wait this is only preseason. Then I said the heck with it and started jumping up and down again. laugh.png

bro I've been hurting for a win :lol: I'll take 'em as they come, I was very amped at the end of that game...because I just knew we were gonna lose it at the end on a bad defensive outing on the last drive...sounds so familiar lol

I thought so, too. I haven't looked forward to a pre-season game that long in a awhile. The team looked different in a good way. The 1st string D to me didn't look like they were trying. Offense shined.

What really shined was our depth. This is the first season in a long long time we have legitimate contention for multiple starting spots. The rookies gave it 110% all game long.

All around more physical and looked hungrier.

I thought so, too. I haven't looked forward to a pre-season game that long in a awhile. The team looked different in a good way. The 1st string D to me didn't look like they were trying. Offense shined.

What really shined was our depth. This is the first season in a long long time we have legitimate contention for multiple starting spots. The rookies gave it 110% all game long.

All around more physical and looked hungrier.

Goes back to the meeting they showed in Hard Knocks. Where Smitty put up tape of '08 and '13 and compared the difference in play and hunger. I like that he made it a goal to get back to that '08 team style of practice and competition. Really impressed me.

The coaching moves, the FA's, the UDFA's, the draft picks have all been solid this off-season. The pass rush is still suspect, but there's no doubt this team is twice as good as last year's team. That much is clear after this first game, but the potential we have with a more balanced offensive attack and a stingier defense is through the roof, including this season.

In past years our first team would march down the field and take a preseason game lead only to watch the 2nd and 3rd string the rest of the game get ran over, I like the fight in this team, to bad the owner had to say something about our qb getting a cheap shot when our linemen did nothing, but with the new coaches and attitude and knowing change will occur if results are not shown, hopefully the toughness will be shown from quarter to quarter even after halftime hopefully.

I liked how the 2nd and 3rd team players looked prepared for the game. I was not very impressed with our starting D, as they were easily passed and ran on. Yes the starting D did well on the 2nd series, but the starting QB was out already. All of the RB's looked good, which tells me that the OL coaching is better.

It does seem like a different team. The attitude seems different - nasty and hungry. The depth seems better and the competition seems intense. Add a good edge rusher and improve the play at center, this team could be insane.

This season will be one to remember.