Ajc: Smith’S Role To Expand After Dazzling First Impression

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Smith has never gotten this guy involved in the offense is one of his greatest blunders as HC of the Falcons.

I have to agree.

It seems that every time I have seen AS in a game the past 2-3 season (especially during this and last year's preseasons) he always has at least one spectacular run even on minimal carries. How do you fail to employ such a weapon?

The fact that Smith has never gotten this guy involved in the offense is one of his greatest blunders as HC of the Falcons.

That's the difference between Smith and a good coach. Good coaches find ways to utilize all of his players to win games...Smith uses the same guys over and over even if the job isn't getting done!

Seriously? There may be a reason for that but it's not "Smith doesn't like explosive plays".

Yall are being extremely illogical with the Smith criticisms. I mean ****. Dude doesn't like explosive plays? Really? I'm pretty sure a coach whose job depends on winning will take a TD anyway he can get it.

It's not about not liking them so much as not actively scheming for them. I'm very interested to see what our offense looks like this year because, in theory, we SHOULD be able to push the ball downfield a bit more. The protection should be better which will allow for more pressure on the defense. BUt too often, the offense is content to take 4 or 5 at a time. It's effective but not explosive.

And I completely agree with the notion that Smith prefers ball control offense. So I think he doesnt dislike explosive plays, he just figures they'll happen when they happen. I think other guys are looking to put that threat on the field as frequently as possible.

So let me get this straight...You do not believe that Antone Smith is good enough to get on average 5-6 snaps per game with the Falcons right?

No, he's saying his blocking, or lack thereof, has kept him off the field.

Smith, after 6 years, hasn't learned to pass block. The price of playing Smith more snaps is the risk of injury to Ryan skyrockets when Smith is in the backfield.

Unless you think the coaching staff are idiots, they have balanced the risk to Ryan against the chance for big plays in the run game and decided there was too much risk for too little gain.

Smith, after 6 years, hasn't learned to pass block. The price of playing Smith more snaps is the risk of injury to Ryan skyrockets when Smith is in the backfield.

Unless you think the coaching staff are idiots, they have balanced the risk to Ryan against the chance for big plays in the run game and decided there was too much risk for too little gain.

Soooo, then you put the dude in there on running plays and screen passes... problem solved. He needs touches for crying out loud the dude makes it happen!

after 17 years in the league, Gonzales couldn't block worth a darn and almost got Ryan killed on a number of plays but who's keeping score?

The first time Antone gets 7 carries for 9 yards the board is going to turn on him. Or the first time he flubbs a blitz pick-up Smith will be called incompetent for playing him even though we already knew he still needed some work.

LOL ! No doubt man, all these goons will be, See ! See ! I told ya, I told ya ! See how smart I am, my football knowledge ! I called this ! see see see see see .....laugh.png

It's not about not liking them so much as not actively scheming for them. I'm very interested to see what our offense looks like this year because, in theory, we SHOULD be able to push the ball downfield a bit more. The protection should be better which will allow for more pressure on the defense. BUt too often, the offense is content to take 4 or 5 at a time. It's effective but not explosive.

And I completely agree with the notion that Smith prefers ball control offense. So I think he doesnt dislike explosive plays, he just figures they'll happen when they happen. I think other guys are looking to put that threat on the field as frequently as possible.

Think explosive plays would have gone way up last year with a healthy squad, think it'll happen this year. Smith may like ball control, but he likes being employed more.

If the Oline gives Ryan a little more time and they get a little more run game from SJax/Freeman, this offense could be amazing. Reedy could give this offense an element it hasn't had since Norwood was here, I hope he keeps it up.