Ajc: Smith’S Role To Expand After Dazzling First Impression

Just up at the AJC premium (paid) site...thought I'd provide it free of charge! tongue.png

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Falcons running back Antone Smith has quietly gone about his business of being a special teams star.

Over the past two seasons, when the Falcons have asked him to run the ball from scrimmage, he has been electric.

After another fine showing against the Miami Dolphins in the exhibition opener Friday, the Falcons are now planning to get Smith more involved in the offense.

With Steven Jackson out with a left hamstring injury, Smith stole the show with two dazzling plays against the Dolphins in the 16-10 victory at the Georgia Dome.

Falcons coach Mike Smith said that Smith’s role in the offense must expand after he caught a check-down pass, eluded a linebacker and raced up the field for 34 yards.

Later, he made a decisive cut in the open field to make a defender miss. He wasn’t done. The 5-foot-9, 190-pound Smith set-up the safety with a move and then darted past him on his way to an apparent 76-yard touchdown run.

“It is a start,” Antone Smith said. “I mean, it is a first impression. That is the biggest thing from the first game. It was my first impression, so I think my first impression was very good.”

However, both explosive plays were nullified by penalty.

“I mean, it is frustrating, but we know it is the first (exhibition) game for a lot of people out there, so a lot of stuff is changing,” Antone Smith said. “We expect a lot of penalties.”

Also, with the retirement of Jason Snelling, the Falcons need someone to step forward in the backfield. The Falcons want to improve their rushing attack, which was ranked 32nd in the league last season at 77.9 yards yards per game.

“We feel like, when you look at somebody like Antone Smith, who made some big plays for us and gives us some more explosiveness, we want to make sure that we see him do that again,” running backs coach Gerald Brown said. “Snelling was a playmaker. … that’s what we are looking for.”

In spot duty last season, Smith averaged 29 yards per carry. He never did earn regular playing time even though the Falcons were sliding to a 4-12 finish.

On Smith’s 34-yard catch-and-run in the first quarter Falcons veteran wide receiver Harry Douglas was lined up illegally. A holding penalty on right tackle Jake Matthews nullified Smith’s 76-yard run in the second quarter.

Antone Smith is ready to take on a bigger role in the offense. “I want the guys to have confidence in me,” he said.

Brown said that Smith has improved his blocking as a pass-protector and that should not be a factor that would limit his playing time.

“The guy who has really stepped up and actually, so far, is Smith,” Brown said. “He’s shown that he understands protection and he backs it up with physical protection.”

Quarterback Matt Ryan was impressed with Smith’s big plays.

“He showed the explosiveness that he has and the speed,” Ryan said. “He can change a game on any given play. That was fun to watch.”

The Falcons signed Smith as a free agent in 2009. He had a solid career at Florida State after being tabbed the No. 1 all-purpose back in the nation in 2005 by rivals.com.

After going undrafted, Detroit gave him a tryout. He was added to the roster and then released. He had brief stints at Minnesota and Houston.

He was signed by the Falcons after they released quarterback D.J. Shockley in Oct. 2009.

Smith has found his niche as a special teams star. Before last season Smith had just one carry in his previous three seasons with the Falcons.

“Antone’s a guy that can do some things when we get the ball in his hands,” Mike Smith said. “I would imagine we would want to make sure to help him get some touches, put him in an advantageous situation.”

For two plays that didn’t count, Antone Smith has created a major buzz.

“It’s really always about your first impression,” Mike Smith said.

Edited by Quarterback

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, is it just me???? the article clearly points out what he did with the ball from scrimmage last year. and they're calling this his 'first impression' and we see quotes like this:

“We feel like, when you look at somebody like Antone Smith, who made some big plays for us and gives us some more explosiveness, we want to make sure that we see him do that again,” running backs coach Gerald Brown said. “Snelling was a playmaker. … that’s what we are looking for.”

and this one:

“Antone’s a guy that can do some things when we get the ball in his hands,” Mike Smith said. “I would imagine we would want to make sure to help him get some touches, put him in an advantageous situation.”

For two plays that didn’t count, Antone Smith has created a major buzz.

“It’s really always about your first impression,” Mike Smith said.

so, is it just me, or does FFS70 need to call the branch and tell em they're 'clueless mofos' ???? LOL

This coaching stuff is ******** sometimes, i swear. First impressions? Didn't he have a few of these long a$$ dazzling runs last season, only to STILL have limited touches in an already done season? SMH at this coaching staff and Smitty in particular. I award you guys Donkey of the Day.

It is still my belief that MS doesn't want breakaway runs. His whole defensive philosophy is ball control and to play keep away from the other team's offense. That's why they won't throw deep very often, too.

That's a reach, maybe back in 08-10 Yea i could def see that.. But not now..

Smitty's likes explosive plays

That's a reach, maybe back in 08-10 Yea i could def see that.. But not now..

Smitty's likes explosive plays

Explosive, like kicking a field goal on 4th and goal before the half? Smith can't think outside of the box. That's a call he would make in a real game. He can't even think about trying something different in a game that doesn't count.

My only guess with Smith is that he was having problems picking up or executing the blocking scheme last season. With our offensive line already in shambles Quizz earned the playing time by efficient blocking. A lot of people here want to criticize our staff for Antone's lack of playing time but these are the same people who gave the kid a roster spot. If he learns the system and executes his other duties he'll get his due playing time.

It is still my belief that MS doesn't want breakaway runs. His whole defensive philosophy is ball control and to play keep away from the other team's offense. That's why they won't throw deep very often, too.

Seriously? There may be a reason for that but it's not "Smith doesn't like explosive plays".

Yall are being extremely illogical with the Smith criticisms. I mean ****. Dude doesn't like explosive plays? Really? I'm pretty sure a coach whose job depends on winning will take a TD anyway he can get it.

Seriously? There may be a reason for that but it's not "Smith doesn't like explosive plays".

Yall are being extremely illogical with the Smith criticisms. I mean ****. Dude doesn't like explosive plays? Really? I'm pretty sure a coach whose job depends on winning will take a TD anyway he can get it.

I said "want". You changed it to "like". Is your reading comprehension that poor or are you intentionally misrepresenting what I said?

I said "want". You changed it to "like". Is your reading comprehension that poor or are you intentionally misrepresenting what I said?

My only guess with Smith is that he was having problems picking up or executing the blocking scheme last season. With our offensive line already in shambles Quizz earned the playing time by efficient blocking. A lot of people here want to criticize our staff for Antone's lack of playing time but these are the same people who gave the kid a roster spot. If he learns the system and executes his other duties he'll get his due playing time.

I'm assuming if you are bringing in a runner into the game because you have designed a play for him, it doesn't involve having him block

Explosive, like kicking a field goal on 4th and goal before the half? Smith can't think outside of the box. That's a call he would make in a real game. He can't even think about trying something different in a game that doesn't count.

Did that 4th down play in Saints territory and his decision to go for it not count because it didn't work?

I was trying to give you the benefit. Not "wanting" long runs is worse lol.

Id rather him not like them because he enjoys ball control, but want them because it's a touchdown.

Wanting long runs is the good part. I can see why he wouldn't like them, but not wanting them is just foolish.