All In All...just One Thing Really Worries Me Going Into The Season...

Stoic

Our LB corps.

War and Bartu got SMOKED on that horrible first drive. I know, I know, first preseason game and no game planning, but bad angles (Bartu) and HORRIBLE pass coverage (War) make me a little concerned. Hopefully these things can be coached out...but I have my concerns.

I noticed the same thing Stoic and brought it up last nite...my single biggest concern with our defense is intermediate coverage ability not pass rush ability ...none of our second level guys are any good at it and WOR and JOP were serious liabilities in PC last year ....hopefully they will improve at it this year, no reason to think they can't but not a strong suit....

Our LB corps.

War and Bartu got SMOKED on that horrible first drive. I know, I know, first preseason game and no game planning, but bad angles (Bartu) and HORRIBLE pass coverage (War) make me a little concerned. Hopefully these things can be coached out...but I have my concerns.

You should be worried. Both sucked in coverage last year. Both sucked in coverage yesterday. Bartu looks too slow and Worrilow gets sucked into too many runs.

We have a lot of bodies at LB though. Hopefully somebody will rise. Shembo, Smallwood, Dobbins, anybody.

I know he is older but still effective in pass rushing situations. James Harrison obviously we need to wait until the first wave of cuts next week but we need to get 1 proven player in there that can rush the QB. If I were TD I wouldn't want to wait around on these rookies he a proven vet and let these rookies ge valuable experience and not at the expense of losing games.

I noticed the same thing Stoic and brought it up last nite...my single biggest concern with our defense is intermediate coverage ability not pass rush ability ...none of our second level guys are any good at it and WOR and JOP were serious liabilities in PC last year ....hopefully they will improve at it this year, no reason to think they can't but not a strong suit....

I'm not delighted with the intermediate coverage or the pass rush myself. We got to have a much better effort, or much better talent, or something if we're going to climb above 500.

I really think our fans need to temper their expectations to a reasonable level.

Do y'all not remember how GOD AWFUL we were last year? Do you really expect every single issue we had to be fixed in one offseason?

Yes they will probably make a few coverage mistakes over the course of the year. But thats just the game. Or did y'all seriously expect us to go from being an awful defense to a top 5 defense in one year? Were gonna have holes. Every team does.

I really think our fans need to temper their expectations to a reasonable level.

Do y'all not remember how GOD AWFUL we were last year? Do you really expect every single issue we had to be fixed in one offseason?

Yes they will probably make a few coverage mistakes over the course of the year. But thats just the game. Or did y'all seriously expect us to go from being an awful defense to a top 5 defense in one year? Were gonna have holes. Every team does.

Holes I can live with. I think it's possible for a team to go from worst to top 5 on D easily if the good players stick around and the new guys mesh well into the system. According to Moore our best defensive plays of the night came from good communication. Sounds like we need to focus on that more. Worrilow is the communicator/signal caller on D now so hopefully with his obsession with game tape and incredible ability to read the ball we can fix that. I fully expect our guys to perform top notch this year as I would any other year, that's what they get paid to do.

Our D actually started out great last year against the run,then injury struck vs. the Rams and we got shredded after that. I think if our starters stay healthy and if our new guys don't play like rookies (hard to expect I know) then we have a pretty good D. If not, well we still have the O to be excited about. Aside from the loss of TG, the new additions should push us over the edge.

For ***** and giggles, I wonder how many defenses went 3 and out in the first drive of the preseason....

You guys are really overreacting, especially considering how the defense responded on the next drive.

And for the record, Bartu was stellar in coverage last year. Not sure what you were watching

For ***** and giggles, I wonder how many defenses went 3 and out in the first drive of the preseason....

You guys are really overreacting, especially considering how the defense responded on the next drive.

And for the record, Bartu was stellar in coverage last year. Not sure what you were watching

psst, bartu missed a tackle on the first drive friday night, so now he's not worth crap

do I need to put any of that in purple?

Our LB corps.

Yep...it concerns me as well. Worrilow is plain slowwww and can't cover. Wasn't this the same knock on Lofton? Also, Worrilow still has trouble shedding blocks--needs to have violent hands. Shembo is a rookie and I even saw him throw a linemen off.

We just plain lack LB speed and need to find some starters who are capable of covering and going sideline-to-sideline without looking like they're running in slow motion.