Questions For Guys That Saw The Game.

I didn't get to see the whole game but got to see some highlights and live look ins on NFLN.

Jake Matthews looked solid from what i saw. Quizz showed to be a solid number 2 back and Smith to be the starter imo.

Saw our defense look like straight garbage on the Dolphins first drive on the live look in.

That's all i got from what I saw and like i said didn't get to see much, but my questions are;

Did Smith show you any reason he shouldn't be our number 1 HB on the roster? bc from what I saw he should have been starting since last year.

Did Freeman play any and how did he do?

How did our rookie DE look?

Did Jake Matthews hold it down the whole time he was in?

That's all i got from what I saw and like i said didn't get to see much, but my questions are;

Did Smith show you any reason he shouldn't be our number 1 HB on the roster? bc from what I saw he should have been starting since last year.

Yes, he can't pass block.

He played with and against the 2/3 string, he looked pretty good and can catch.

Hageman? He looked generally disruptive but didn't play DE, he played inside.

Two holding penalties, one of which was ticky-tack but negated a 76 yard Antone Smith TD run.

I didn't get to see the whole game but got to see some highlights and live look ins on NFLN.

Jake Matthews looked solid from what i saw. Quizz showed to be a solid number 2 back and Smith to be the starter imo.

Saw our defense look like straight garbage on the Dolphins first drive on the live look in.

I was very happy with our pass protection. I know Jake had a couple of penalties and one that cost us a long Antone run, but in the end it appears we know have a OL

I noticed Hageman in the 4th quarter but could tell how well he played

Frankly, I think Quizz looked indecisive and left yards on the field in his early carries. The OL had guys engaged, so it could just be that he was being "patient." To me, it just looked a lot like Turner in his final season. At least the OL had some blocks so he was tip toeing around 3 yards down field.

Now to your questions.

The reason Smith can't be our #1 back is because he is our #1 gunner. Until we can find a replacement for him there, he has to be fresh to chase punts. Hester explained that in his on field interview. He can't take a lot of snaps at WR and stay fresh for the return game. Smith in the same boat due to his ST duties.

Freeman is NFL ready. The Falcons blog on ESPN has good write-ups on some of his work.

Our rookie DE were better vs. the run than there were getting after the passer. Shembo, an ILB, had the only sack when Hagerman ate up two blockers. The DEs look athletic, but a bit lost at times.

Jake Matthews performed as advertised. There were a couple of times where he got overpowered, but he maintained position and held the guy up long enough for the QB to make a natural release. His only mistake was a holding call that erased a long TD by Smith.

/edit

I also forgot, Smith doesn't block well enough to be a #1 RB. He saw the blitzer on the play where Ryan got sacked, but he got completely blown up and Ryan paid for it.

Ok yeah i saw the run by Smith get taken back, didn't know the hold was on Matthews but hey holding happens every play, i remember when they liked to call it on Bob Whitfield every play lol.

OK so Smith has trouble blocking and thats why he doesn't see the field much, he can improve on that so hopefully he gets more than 2-3 touches per game.

And yes Hagemen was who i was talking about, that's cool hes playing inside just wondering how he was doing.

I thought on the drive i saw we were still playing a 4-3 defense? not sure but it looked like 4-3 but like i said i didnt get to sit and watch the game.

Ok yeah i saw the run by Smith get taken back, didn't know the hold was on Matthews but hey holding happens every play, i remember when they liked to call it on Bob Whitfield every play lol.

OK so Smith has trouble blocking and thats why he doesn't see the field much, he can improve on that so hopefully he gets more than 2-3 touches per game.

And yes Hagemen was who i was talking about, that's cool hes playing inside just wondering how he was doing.

I thought on the drive i saw we were still playing a 4-3 defense? not sure but it looked like 4-3 but like i said i didnt get to sit and watch the game.

Yes, seemed like 4-3 predominantly.

To add on a few tidbits...

Sam Baker looked good back to 2012 form lets all remember to pray at night for his health!

Renfree looked a little better than Yates should be a interesting backup QB battle.

The depth looks greatly improved from past few years the 2nd and 3rd stringers were out there competing

Two runs and people are in love with smith hahah omg are you people serious, dude can't run up the middle is only good in space, can't pass block. We would have even less of a run game if he was the starter.

Can't blame for people for being excited for him. I have seen about five plays with him getting the ball in the last year and have seen three of them go for over 30 yards...which is three more than I saw from Rodgers or Jackson last year. There is reason to be excited there, but also reasons why we shouldn't crown him as he can't pass block yet.