Preseason Drama- 2 Drives With First Team And Sky Is Falling!

gazoo

Folks, we have many new pieces on this team on both offense and defense. The very idea behind preseason is so they can work out the kinks that are just part of the process. Many players may get beat on individual matchups and assignments, but in preseason, with a lot of new players around you, many in this scheme for the very first time, what appears to be lack of talent or strength is actually due to the mental aspect of things.....they haven't had an opportunity to let everything they've learned set in. They get confused or don't know what they guy next to them is going to do in a certain situation and it caused them to get bogged down in reaction time and to forget critical things such as technique that can get them blown off the ball. Sometimes a tiny adjustment can make all the difference such as how far apart your feet are in pass blocking. If you are mentally overwhelmed pre snap you can forget these little things. I think this is exactly what caused Mathews to struggle at times.

The OL has 2 new starters and none of the 5 OL have ever played next to each other, two of them never played in this scheme. We have a new OL coach who's changed blocking schemes up so even the guys here last year are learning new stuff. Last nights preseason game was the very first time they got a chance to employ much of what they've learned the last couple of weeks in camp. Hawley's plate was full from making the calls and lining everyone up for the first time, they are just getting their feet wet. Communication is enormous for OL and it doesn't surprise me at all they had some issues that made them look bad at times.

The defense has two new starters on the DL, new LBs, new S and a new DL coach as well.

I cannot believe the drama I'm reading on the message board of the sky falling based on their first two drives of preseason......simply amazing. I'm sure some of you are going to take the position you can glean more than the common man from all this, but the truth is there's little conclusive we can take from such a small sample so early in the process.

With all these new pieces, nothing that happened last night surprised me. Here's to the team and new coaches working out the kinks and having everyone ready to go by the season opener. After all, this IS what preseason is for.

Sorry but you know even with all the new defensive pieces building chemistry, none of them are passrushers outside of Osi.

Hence we will have the same problems with getting pressure without blitzing.

No surprise there.

so they sky is falling for you after two drives. Ok.

The first two drives of preseason aren't going to tell you if Mass has dramatically improved, if Shembo, Worrilow and Bartu will rack some sacks up, if Beirmann, Maponga and/or Goodman is going to do better with the 3-4 look in sacks, if Hageman isn't going to start breasting at some point from DE..... You just don't know. Those who looked only at Hagemens stats missed something very promising, dude definitely was flashing beast potential already.

If your position is you have to have a single top sack producer to be successful than I can't help you. Our system is definitely going to be all about sacks coming from many different places and it won't have to just be from blitzes. We can really get creative this year with the two promising CBs we have and having true 3-4 personnel.

I anticipate our pass rush to be much better this year.

Anyone know how Mass looked ?

Looked solid. He's bulked up a bit, he looks the part now and he had a nice TFL.

He rotated in and out with the 1s but played mostly with the 2s. I would have liked to see him out there more with the 1s though we really just seemed to have no real pass rush threat with our 3 DTs and 1 LB front (Babs, Soliai, Jackson and Biermann) as Tannehill carved us up on his first drive.

It was only one drive though we'll see how it goes.

Looked solid. He's bulked up a bit, he looks the part now and he had a nice TFL.

He rotated in and out with the 1s but played mostly with the 2s. I would have liked to see him out there more with the 1s though we really just seemed to have no real pass rush threat with our 3 DTs and 1 LB front (Babs, Soliai, Jackson and Biermann) as Tannehill carved us up on his first drive.

It was only one drive though we'll see how it goes.

good post, watching that first drive was reminiscent of past years, but that doesn't automatically mean it's just like past years. What we saw last night I can understand scared some people, but the fact is it was inconclusive. too small of a sample size and way too early in the process to draw conclusions.I know we don't have one or two dominant pass rushers. We have one decent one in Osi and potentially some young guys who could blossom this season. We will need to get sacks in a different way that just our DEs blowing up OTs, and with the 3-4 personnel and two stud CBs we now have now I think we can get enough sacks collectively, even without having to blitz all the time, to pressure opposing QBs consistently.

Good post Gazoo!

I thought we looked light years better than last year on Oline. I believe that they will.continue to improve and jell with one another. If game 4 looks bad then I will worry, until then While being concerned, I won't be crucifying them.

I'm with you Tuggle, you could definitely see the potential with the OL coming together. We just need them to learn from their mistakes which I'm sure they will.

Defense looked rusty but what else can you expect? Scheming is our biggest strength anyway, which we obviously didn't have. No pass rush but anybody that was expecting that, especially right off the bat, was pretty far out there to begin with.

I thought our Offense looked very good, especially without JJ or SJax. Take the mostly new line into account and they looked spectacular. Not sure how anyone could complain about that side of the ball.

My two takeaways were Hageman flashed some beast potential (he was definitely giving his blockers problems) and the OL showed signs they are going to be not only much improved is pass protection, but also in opening up running lanes for our RBs.

I was watching some of those holes opening up thinking WOW, haven't seen that in a while.

Nothing conclusive, just some signs.

Folks, we have many new pieces on this team on both offense and defense. The very idea behind preseason is so they can work out the kinks that are just part of the process. Many players may get beat on individual matchups and assignments, but in preseason, with a lot of new players around you, many in this scheme for the very first time, what appears to be lack of talent or strength is actually due to the mental aspect of things.....they haven't had an opportunity to let everything they've learned set in. They get confused or don't know what they guy next to them is going to do in a certain situation and it caused them to get bogged down in reaction time and to forget critical things such as technique that can get them blown off the ball. Sometimes a tiny adjustment can make all the difference such as how far apart your feet are in pass blocking. If you are mentally overwhelmed pre snap you can forget these little things. I think this is exactly what caused Mathews to struggle at times.

The OL has 2 new starters and none of the 5 OL have ever played next to each other, two of them never played in this scheme. We have a new OL coach who's changed blocking schemes up so even the guys here last year are learning new stuff. Last nights preseason game was the very first time they got a chance to employ much of what they've learned the last couple of weeks in camp. Hawley's plate was full from making the calls and lining everyone up for the first time, they are just getting their feet wet. Communication is enormous for OL and it doesn't surprise me at all they had some issues that made them look bad at times.

The defense has two new starters on the DL, new LBs, new S and a new DL coach as well.

I cannot believe the drama I'm reading on the message board of the sky falling based on their first two drives of preseason......simply amazing. I'm sure some of you are going to take the position you can glean more than the common man from all this, but the truth is there's little conclusive we can take from such a small sample so early in the process.

With all these new pieces, nothing that happened last night surprised me. Here's to the team and new coaches working out the kinks and having everyone ready to go by the season opener. After all, this IS what preseason is for.

D1Oz90y.jpg

While I did not see the game or care too, with more fun things to do..anyway..Judging that we actually WON a preseason and they aren't acting they are already in the playoffs like last season.Team character including the staff realize that their ***** are on the chopping block if the team looks like last season!!