O Line Would Be Tops With A Dominant Center.

KRUNKuno

Hawley isn't the answer. Unfortunately he will have to be by default. Fact is, he's not nearly strong enough and does a poor job sustaining blocks. He's more of a get-in-the-way type of player.

Konz is definitely not the answer. He's 3rd string depth at best.

I doubt James Stone will be our starting center, sorry R, but man at this point I'm saying lets see what he can do with the first team.

This offensive line looks like it can be pretty good. Run blocking has definitely improved, and Matt looked comfortable. But if we had a better center this line could be special.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawley made some mistakes, but he did some good things too. I hope he continues to improve.

He is really good at getting out and making blocks down the field and that is important in our offense. I saw him pull and make a couple of great blocks, but the RB got tackled before he got to where that block was.

I do worry some about our OLine, especially Hawley getting tired because they are pulling and running way down the field so much. If our defense actually gets some 3 and outs somehow that puts the offense right back on the field. That's an odd thing to say, but if our OLine is not in very good shape it could hurt them a little.

Hawley made some mistakes, but he did some good things too. I hope he continues to improve.

He is really good at getting out and making blocks down the field and that is important in our offense. I saw him pull and make a couple of great blocks, but the RB got tackled before he got to where that block was.

I do worry some about our OLine, especially Hawley getting tired because they are pulling and running way down the field so much. If our defense actually gets some 3 and outs somehow that puts the offense right back on the field. That's an odd thing to say, but if our OLine is not in very good shape it could hurt them a little.

Did you see the first touchdown that almost wasnt had it not been for Quizzes strong legs? Excited about this year but hawley and blalock remind me of reynolds like incompetence.

Different strengths and weaknesses. Hawley doesn't have the power to stand up to bull rush NT. But he is agile and can pull and block on LBs well. And he seems to make the best line blocking calls.

Konz has more power but I'm not sure if he can figure out the mental part for calling the correct line blocking.

While I don't disagree that Hawley wasn't that impressive lets keep a few things in mind.

1 it was a few series in the first preseason game

2 Dolphins have a decent set of interior linemen on their d-line.

While I don't think he's off to a good start I'm going to wait a few more games before passing judgement on the line

Did you see the first touchdown that almost wasnt had it not been for Quizzes strong legs? Excited about this year but hawley and blalock remind me of reynolds like incompetence.

did you see us run that play with ANY success last year? yeah, neither did I.......comparing blalock to reynolds should have just killed any credibility you might have thought you had

Konz looked pretty solid last night. It wasn't against 1st teamers, and it's the 1st preseason game so he didn't have too much thrown at him, but it was still refreshing to see. Most likely scenario is both are "average," and that's a huge improvement from last season.

Holmes actually looked pretty good against the backups too. In a few years, both might be serviceable, and Konz might actually end up working into a starter role if he can actualize some of his potential.

While I don't disagree that Hawley wasn't that impressive lets keep a few things in mind.

1 it was a few series in the first preseason game

2 Dolphins have a decent set of interior linemen on their d-line.

While I don't think he's off to a good start I'm going to wait a few more games before passing judgement on the line

I will give it that. With more meaningful playing time together this line will definitely gel. You would just like to see Hawley be as physical as the other guys on the line.

By the way, I can tell you firsthand the luxury of having a stout center. You can have two great guards but if the NT is repeatedly knocking your center in your face mask it disrupts everything you do...see Matt Ryan last season.

Exactly!! That's why my top target in FA was Alex Mack. But that didn't happen. I was told that Hawley was good enough and that center wasn't all that important.

I will give it that. With more meaningful playing time together this line will definitely gel. You would just like to see Hawley be as physical as the other guys on the line.

That's the thing about the center position in general. Most of the time they aren't the most physical guys on the line. There are exceptions but most of the time you want a center that's more smart than physical.

McClure was the perfect example. He definitely wasn't the biggest strongest guy out there but he played with good technique and was great at making the oline calls.

Im just hoping Hawley can at least hold his ground 1 on 1.

on quizz's second carry, hawley made a nice pulling block, but quizz danced and negated a better gain. nobody on the roster is better than hawley...will have to live or die with him

I finally got to see the opening drive from last night and the OL run blocking was horrible, mainly because of Hawley getting blown up every play. That TD only happened because Rodgers was quick enough to get around Hawley who was blown 3 yards backwards off the snap.

Lol every play?

Yes, I saw that play. I mentioned he made mistakes and that was one of the few. We still scored a touchdown on that play.

Hawley had a lot of plays where he did a very good job blocking.You mentioned one bad play, but there were definitely plenty of good ones. I re-watched the game and watched Hawley closely and he played pretty well overall. I admit he needs to improve though.

For the record I wanted to go all out and sign Alex Mack so I'm not a Hawley Superfan. I do think he is much better than a lot of people give him credit for though.