Defense

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you weren't even impressed with Freeman, who had 107 combined yards.

But in regards to defense, I guess with you being a former defensive player, it would mean more to you in the first game. For me, knowing our history of being vanilla and laxed in the first 2 preseason games, I didn't go into the game looking for much of anything spectacular. Now if they get to week 3 and the **** still looks bad for am entire half, I'll show concern then

Look at the time it was typed. Freeman had not touched the field yet.

Just rewatched the first drive and what I saw was good solid run defense and some mental mistake in coverage. We stayed very vanilla with a

5-2 look with Mass. in the game with 2 safeties and a Nickel look with a third corner in (Mass. Out) on the slot receiver. The safety (Ismael) in this set drop down

sorta like a third LB with Wilmo over the top.

KOG I don't no what to say here but as expected we can't fix everything in the off season.With regards to pass rush I think it was always a given we are short in that area.

Defense well we'll be living and dying on how those LBers go I think we'll be ok upfront but without the experience of Spoon out there the whole LBing corp for me is a huge ??????.I think we are banking on the quick maturation of Bartu & Worrilow who to me both are short of where they should be in the roles they need to fill for our team.

Doesn't change my observation...doesn't change needing to do something there. No excuses.

Doesn't change my observation...doesn't change needing to do something there. No excuses.

KOG I'm not saying your observation is wrong or anything I'm just saying in the off season a decision was made where they wanted to go with regards area's of need with our team and the LOS got the majority of the resourcing.I think you knew this hence why our next biggest area of need suffered accordingly resource wise.

KOG I'm not saying your observation is wrong or anything I'm just saying in the off season a decision was made where they wanted to go with regards area's of need with our team and the LOS got the majority of the resourcing.I think you knew this hence why our next biggest area of need suffered accordingly resource wise.

Not arguing, in fact I agree 100%. Still when you have to go with what you have I still need someone to show up.

Not arguing, in fact I agree 100%. Still when you have to go with what you have I still need someone to show up.

Slightly off tack which position group to you is the weakest a this stage????

For me its those LBering group we are very thin on the ground experience wise.Closely followed by safeties for me.

Slightly off tack which position group to you is the weakest a this stage????

For me its those LBering group we are very thin on the ground experience wise.Closely followed by safeties for me.

Edge rush. DE and OLB. Also the safeties...blah. Move Arenas to FS and let Southward play behind him. I already said before, Lowery would be hard pressed to see the field.

We all knew going in, at least we all should have known, that the falcons pass rush is not going to come from two dominating Des being able to overpower OTs consistently.

With that as a baseline, I do not understand how you can glean much out of the very first two drives of the very first preseason game with all these new faces and coaches here.

Our pass rush is going to have to come from multiple places, and there is no way to conclude from the tiny sample of snaps we saw that nothing has changed from last year. In fact, I saw Hageman giving his blockers trouble at times, even when double teamed. Seeing him in his first actual play I can see he has potential to beast for us even this year. Nothing conclusive, but Hageman's play made me take note. We also have two better CBs than last year, and their progress is going to open up more options for us than we've had in past years.

No telling yet, we'll see....

I have yet to see a offense or defense look suspect in preseason then in the regular season look completely different. The problems I saw in preseason last year carried right to the regular season. This year isn't going to be much different with what we see.

Pass rush is once again go to be by committee. We did improve on the run defense and I don't think teams will gash us on the ground. We will once again force a lot of 3rd and longs (and that's good) but this DL is not designed to shoot gaps and get to the QB. Pressure on the QB is going to be something we scheme with stunts, blitzing LBs and S, and wide 9 formations. Jackson, Soila, or Hagman might get the occasional push up the center but those guys are just space eaters that won't get pushed back.

I have yet to see a offense or defense look suspect in preseason then in the regular season look completely different. The problems I saw in preseason last year carried right to the regular season. This year isn't going to be much different with what we see.

Pass rush is once again go to be by committee. We did improve on the run defense and I don't think teams will gash us on the ground. We will once again force a lot of 3rd and longs (and that's good) but this DL is not designed to shoot gaps and get to the QB. Pressure on the QB is going to be something we scheme with stunts, blitzing LBs and S, and wide 9 formations. Jackson, Soila, or Hagman might get the occasional push up the center but those guys are just space eaters that won't get pushed back.

Many Super Bowl winners played terribly during their preseason.