Falcons Really Trying To Shed "soft Team" Image.

End zone Jones

First off, I know it's from BR... blah, blah, blah.... It's actually a good article... I stole this from TATF!

I believe we could "surprise" a lot of people this year. If our D plays better, I think the O-line will be enough.

No way am I saying we go to or win the SB, but I think we could get a wildcard. Anything can happen if you make it to the dance!!!

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2155272-no-longer-punchless-atlanta-falcons-could-be-this-years-biggest-surprise?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=atlanta-falcons

Edited by Mr. Derrty Bird

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly i agree with that. Smith is guilty of sitting on leeds after halftime. Let everyone come back. No matter what team it is.

Yep. I always feel like if Smith kept the gas pedal down they would blow out a bunch of teams. The offense has too many weapons to try and hold on to leads or come back after losing a lead.

I think we are going to keep going this year when we have the lead and blow some people out of the water. No more playing nice, it just comes back and bites us.

What makes you think that? Has Smith had a change in philosophy that he's made public? Or are you hoping that happens?

Sadly i agree with that. Smith is guilty of sitting on leeds after halftime. Let everyone come back. No matter what team it is.

Ya'll have (had in the past) the offensive firepower to put up 40 burgers against most teams in the NFL every week. All comes down to playcalling.

Put up 40 points 3 times before Jones and 3 times after. The recent efforts came wk 1 (KC) or meaningless late (JAX, SF).

It is not the play calling.

The point I'm making is you have the offensive capability to do it EVERY game. When I've looked at the Falcons offense on paper in the past, they should rival the Saints offense. Since Smith took over in 2008 ya'll were 6th that year, and in 2012 you were 8th. Ya'll have been as low as 16th (twice) in that span. I just think ya'll have the talent to be far better than that in those years, and that comes down to playcalling. If the talent is there, but you aren't producing enough yards/points, thats playcalling. In 2008 with the 6th ranked offense, you were only 10th in scoring, and in 2012 you were 7th (better).

Thats only point I was trying to make. You guys have the talent.

The point I'm making is you have the offensive capability to do it EVERY game. When I've looked at the Falcons offense on paper in the past, they should rival the Saints offense. Since Smith took over in 2008 ya'll were 6th that year, and in 2012 you were 8th. Ya'll have been as low as 16th (twice) in that span. I just think ya'll have the talent to be far better than that in those years, and that comes down to playcalling. If the talent is there, but you aren't producing enough yards/points, thats playcalling. In 2008 with the 6th ranked offense, you were only 10th in scoring, and in 2012 you were 7th (better).

Thats only point I was trying to make. You guys have the talent.

It's more complicated than that. The offense gets tight in the second half, makes questionable decisions, blocks, throws while generally executing with less precision. That's not playcalling.

being that he has already changed his off season, training camp philosophy, it wouldnt come as a surprise .

I don't know if I'm following you, which is not new these last few months. What off season training camp philosophy change are you talking about?

I don't know if I'm following you, which is not new these last few months. What off season training camp philosophy change are you talking about?

The mentality coming into camp. I just hope we dont get to banged up in the offseason going to hard now.

If not week 1 will be a fight. not to mention it normally is when we play but im liking our 1st round pick. He doesn't look like he takes anyone crap and looks like a beast waiting to be unleashed.

Its nice to see someone finally call the oline out on not protecting the QB!

We are adding the Hard knocks in hard knox.

read the article

I read the article which is why I was wondering what training camp philosophy changes you were talking about that will equate to Smith keeping the pedal to the floor with a big lead. Being tougher? I'm not sure what one has to do with the other and the article didn't explain it either.

The mentality coming into camp. I just hope we dont get to banged up in the offseason going to hard now.

If not week 1 will be a fight. not to mention it normally is when we play but im liking our 1st round pick. He doesn't look like he takes anyone crap and looks like a beast waiting to be unleashed.

Its nice to see someone finally call the oline out on not protecting the QB!

We are adding the Hard knocks in hard knox.

I get the topic of the article and this thread...rah, rah...tough. Des 2 said he thinks the team will not let up with a big lead; I was just wondering why he thought that. No disprepect.

Smitty can't help it if he is not good at reacting to what the other team is doing on the field

If his offense is successful early, they counter

he doesn't have the next step to game plan effectively on the fly like elite coaches

He supposedly has some new philosophy, that I'm waiting to hear about, which is supposed to improve this aspect of his coaching.