Got A Work Related Legal Question, Help!

So I work for a nonprofit after school program. I filled out an application in August 2012 and was hired. August 2013, a new director was hired, old one fired by board in May. He made all the employees fill out new applications because he said the current one was out of date and obsolete. We all did. Nothing looked out the ordinary to me.

This week he handed us another application to fill out because he said that he asked questions (about convictions and arrests) that he legally couldn't ask. This application is standard, it has some disclosures at the end regarding no guarentee of employment, length of time app will be kept on file, your basic stuff...

BUT, in second paragragh it states that the organization can release info that it deems pertinent to potential employers. And that the employee make request in writing what was disclosed.

??? Why is this included in an application as oppose to a new hire packet? It seems odd to me. The board has an attorney on staff, but I don't feel as though he viewed app.

My question is do I have to sign yet another application.

I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, myself. I think if they say something damaging about you, they would still open themselves up to liability. They can't hide behind a statement like that to protect themselves if they slander you. Good luck to you.

I'm not a lawyer, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, myself. I think if they say something damaging about you, they would still open themselves up to liability. They can't hide behind a statement like that to protect themselves if they slander you. Good luck to you.

I'm pretty far from an expert in that field, so take this as the opinion of a well educated layman, but I agree. It's like signing a release of liability when entering a theme park. Yeah, if you get hurt doing something stupid or something that would be reasonably expected to hurt you, you've released them. But if they were negligent, you'd have a good claim.