Scelfo: Interesting Battles In The Tes Group

falcon057

Following Wednesday's walkthrough, Falcons TEs coach Chris Scelfo and QBs coach Glenn Thomas took some time to meet with the media, offering position-group evlautions, including the competition at tight end and how QB Matt Ryanmakes each player better.

Falcons TEs Coach Chris Scelfo

Q: How would you evaluate your tight ends group in 2014?

CS: There are some interesting battles going on in the tight end group, Levine making all five of those guys battle. It’s a different role for those guys this year than what we had in the past with Tony Gonzalez. They are doing everything we are asking of them. They are doing a good job of competing.

Q: Can you forecast the percentage of footballs that may be directed toward your TEs in 2014?

CS: I think the way the ball is going to be distributed play-calling-wise, the defense kind of dictates where the ball is going to be distributed. Sometimes, we had a play specifically designed for Tony last year and if the defense took it away, it went somewhere else. Coming in this year from the standpoint of the tight end, he has a role in the progression and it may not be thought of as high as it once was, but when the ball comes his way, he has to make a play.

Q: What have you seen out of Levine Toilolo since camp began?

CS: I’ve seen him ascend every day. He missed all of last year; OTAs and all. This year in OTAs he had a lot of work. I’ve seen improvement every day on him. He needs to become more aggressive, have more urgency in everything, consistently. His leverage is different than most people’s, because he is 6-foot-8, so, he has to know what he’s dealing with every play; run and pass.

Falcons QBs Coach Glenn Thomas

How will the offense be impacted, following the retirement of former Falcons TE Tony Gonzalez?

GT: Matt (Ryan) will have to adjust to it and then, we'll have to adjust to it as a coaching staff. We just have to see what a particular team does in those situations and adjust accordingly and do the best that we can to take advantage of him. Matt does a great job of finding those guys when they're open; he's one of the best in the business at doing that. We can design particular plays for particular players, but if it's not open, he'll get through the progression like he needs to and get it to the open guy.

Has there been a QB rotation set for Friday night's preseason game against the Miami Dolphins?

GT: We have not talked about that, but it will probably come in the next day or so, but particularly, we'll try to get all those guys in there, if we can.

Can you talk about the signing of T.J. Yates and his transition thus far with the team?

GT: We're excited to have him. He's been in the league a few years and had a chance to get in there and play and win some games and get some experience and brings that element to the game, which we're excited about.

He had to go back to school and finish up. so he missed a large part of camp. i believe that's what he was talking about

This. Some stupid rule about "if you graduate you can't leave early" so apparently the NFL wants to promote people to graduate by penalizing those who stick it out to get their degree while letting those who drop out move right to the pros.

Personally I think Matt is going to go off this year without Tony. Tony was a great player and Matt's safety blanket and we are gonna miss him. However I see Matt going down the field a lot more this season and letting Julio make plays. That is going to lead to a lot more long touchdowns.

Personally I think Matt is going to go off this year without Tony. Tony was a great player and Matt's safety blanket and we are gonna miss him. However I see Matt going down the field a lot more this season and letting Julio make plays. That is going to lead to a lot more long touchdowns.

I am expecting us to surprise some people in game 1 with a bomb to Hester. I've been thinking about it for a while. Ever since I heard he was doing so well at WR in camp and catching some deep TDs there.

I am expecting us to surprise some people in game 1 with a bomb to Hester. I've been thinking about it for a while. Ever since I heard he was doing so well at WR in camp and catching some deep TDs there.

If we go 4 wides who will match up on Hester? A LBer or a dime. That's not gonna be good for them

Following Wednesday's walkthrough, Falcons TEs coach Chris Scelfo and QBs coach Glenn Thomas took some time to meet with the media, offering position-group evlautions, including the competition at tight end and how QB Matt Ryanmakes each player better.

Has there been a QB rotation set for Friday night's preseason game against the Miami Dolphins?

GT: We have not talked about that, but it will probably come in the next day or so, but particularly, we'll try to get all those guys in there, if we can.

Don't you guys get tired of these kind of answers constantly?

This doesn't get me very excited about our existing TE's. I am sort of happy Toilolo is apparently doing well though. Just have to wait and see.

When they talk about him having different leverage and how he has to know just what his role is on every play, it makes me wonder if they are really sold on him past the fact that he's 6'8" and should be a factor