What I Saw At Falcons Vs Titans With Photos

JRid

This is a little late, but I had a long day of work yesterday.

It was a fun day and lots of people were there. I never heard how many, but I'm curious. We stood on about the 5 yard line right against the rope for most of the day, but a lot was blocked out so we moved to the other end and up on the hill.

We were in a great spot for some long passes in the end zone, but unfortunately we missed some other stuff. Also, half the time during 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 either our offense or defense was on the far field so I couldn't see as much. I did see enough to make some good observations though.

Offense

Reedy looked great and he absolutely will make the 53. He blew past defenders and it was a great thing to see. I'm really excited about this guy.

Julio was on a snap count so he didn't participate as much. He made some plays, but missed one ball on a slant that went right through his hands.

Harry looked great and had some great catches.

Hester continued to impress and I'm really looking forward to seeing him in some games.

Vaughn is a lot bigger than I thought he was and he looked pretty good. His legs are bigger than our FB Dimarco's legs. I didn't get to see him in pass protection, but he looks to have potential as a runner.

Freeman is fun to watch, but he definitely needs work on pass protection. I don't think he will be getting as many touches as some people here think in the first part of the season. Quizz is on a whole other level when it comes to pass protection so he will get more snaps.

Antone Smith looked good and he lined up on the line and ran routes some. I've been wondering if they would use him that way and it made me think even more that they will.

They are having all of our RB's/FB's catch balls out of the back field quite a bit.

Jake Mathews is the real deal and I love that we got him. The guy looks like one of the best rookie OLineman that has come out in awhile.

I've been a fan of Gunn and he continued to impress as well.

I missed the dang fight even though I was close because many of our players were standing in between me and the fight. I saw Hawley jog off to the building and didn't know what was up at the time. I’ve read that Smitty kicked him out, but I also read the refs kicked him out. I think the refs were told to call it like a game and they did.

Our OLine looked good over all, but I wasn't blown away. They will absolutely be much better than last season.

Our 2nd team OLine was not looking good as a group.

I'm glad to read that Carimi's injury is not too bad, but I was worried. During the play it was a play to the right and all the blockers were getting out there. He sort of just got swept up in the crowd. He stayed down awhile and TD and Smitty came over to check on him. Even though he had help off the field he was a very long ways from the building and had to walk over 100 yards just to get to the building. I felt good that they didn't drive him to the building on the cart and felt that was a good sign.

Defense

Our defense looked pretty good, but many times there were huge holes that left the WR's wide open. I've seen that the last few years and I don't understand how that happens. I never see our WR's that wide open.

There were lots of flags thrown on both teams and I hope I don't break my TV this season when they throw flags for those new rules.

During 2 on 2 our DLine looked good. Goodman and Soliai, looked really good and Robertson did too. Strange, but I kept noticing 97 look good and wasn't sure who it was. After the 2 on 2 Cox was showing him some stuff and looked like he was getting on him, but the guy stood out to me. I looked it up later and realized he was the new guy Theo Agnew from Ga. State. I was really surprised it was him because he just got here and I didn't expect anything from him.

During 11 on 11 our DLine continued to look good. Soliai and Goodman stood out to me. Mass had what would have been a sack and so did Worrilow. Our defense will be so hard to run on this season because we have some big guys in there with a lot of talent.

We were definitely running the Amoeba defense and it looked good at times, but didn't always work. I hope we perfect it because I like watching it.

I personally didn't see Hageman do a whole lot, but I was glad to see him out there and his hand didn't seem to effect the amount of reps he got. I heard a guy behind me say he was watching Hageman a lot and he was getting stood up on every play. I’m not saying that as fact because I didn’t notice it, but just wanted to mention it. I'm still excited to see him, but he is still learning.

I read how McClain looked really good, but the few plays I watched of him he didn't look great. He got beat long, but the guy dropped it. Right after that he got beat again in the same spot and the guy caught it. McClain caught up with him at the end, but got a little clumsy and didn't recover well enough.

Trufant looked really good out there. On one play he went down and I was really stressing until I found out he just got hit in the family jewels.

My friend took his good camera and got some really good pics so credit for the photos goes to him.

Some of these photos, especially this first one don't look nearly as good when I post them as they do on his flicker account. I will post a link at the end so you guys can see all of them.

This is Reedy. He actually had to slow down a little to make the catch.

14837154651_aa2241b5fe_z.jpg

Matt Ryan needs to time his deep throws a lil' earlier. Phillip Rivers doesn't have a strong arm either but throws a great deep ball. It's still early, hopefully they'll get the rhythm back in their offense soon.

I agree. There have been a lot of reports of Ryan and the WR's timing being a little off. They need to get that worked out and I feel like they will. I'm actually not positive that was Ryan throwing to Reedy, but I think it was.

I personally didn't see Hageman do a whole lot, but I was glad to see him out there and his hand didn't seem to effect the amount of reps he got. I heard a guy behind me say he was watching Hageman a lot and he was getting stood up on every play. I’m not saying that as fact because I didn’t notice it, but just wanted to mention it. I'm still excited to see him, but he is still learning.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he is just a rotational piece this season. He was raw when drafted and I doubt a single offseason will be enough to change that. Let him get his feet wet in that rotational role and keep up the coaching next offseason and I'm sure he'll become what we expect him to, especially since he seems to be Cox's main focus.

I wouldn't be too surprised if he is just a rotational piece this season. He was raw when drafted and I doubt a single offseason will be enough to change that. Let him get his feet wet in that rotational role and keep up the coaching next offseason and I'm sure he'll become what we expect him to, especially since he seems to be Cox's main focus.

Yeah, he is definitely raw and I'm not expecting a whole lot early on from him. Hopefully he is really improved towards the end of the season.

Great write-up!

Thanks.

Guest Negatorris

Hageman seems like a slow developer. No doubt he can become a force but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes us wait a while before he starts flashing his potential. I hope he'll prove to be worth our second pick.

On this play Reedy had another guy beat, but it was a bad pass. Not sure who threw it, but he had to go back to his right even though he first looked over his left shoulder. I guess it could have been his fault too though.

DSC01020.JPG

DSC01022.JPG

Notice how bad he had his guy beat

DSC01024.JPG

Hageman seems like a slow developer. No doubt he can become a force but I wouldn't be surprised if he makes us wait a while before he starts flashing his potential. I hope he'll prove to be worth our second pick.

k.

When I watched Hageman tape before the draft the one thing I really was concerned with was his tendency to end up very upright. He needs to learn the leverage game a bit more but sometimes you see him absolutely maul the guy across from him. I think he can still give us that in limited snaps, particularly in pass rush situations.

Vaughn is a lot bigger than I thought he was and he looked pretty good. His legs are bigger than our FB Dimarco's legs. I didn't get to see him in pass protection, but he looks to have potential as a runner.

Really want to see what this kid does in the pre-season!

I read how McClain looked really good, but the few plays I watched of him he didn't look great. He got beat long, but the guy dropped it. Right after that he got beat again in the same spot and the guy caught it. McClain caught up with him at the end, but got a little clumsy and didn't recover well enough.

Somehow this guy has reached Sacred Cow status! He isn't that good but people continue to say that he is! blink.png

How I feel. Seems many around here are expecting him to make a big impact from the start

Thanks for a good report. You provided a lot of info and it was an overall upbeat, encouraging read. Hopefully they'll get the blown pass coverages figured out. I think we have the talent to get the job done once some of the confusion settles down and players begin to get familiar with their roles and the players around them.

As you point out Freeman and Hageman are green rookies and they both have a lot to learn and master before they are ready to assume a big share of the load they'll be expected to shoulder down the road. Really like what I'm hearing from both of them.

Thanks for a good report. You provided a lot of info and it was an overall upbeat, encouraging read. Hopefully they'll get the blown pass coverages figured out. I think we have the talent to get the job done once some of the confusion settles down and players begin to get familiar with their roles and the players around them.

I don't know Steve...This blown coverage stuff has been going on for a while especially when it comes to covering tightends and slot guys. The Falcons just need to stop playing zone period. 2012 playoffs defense made Zack Miller look like Gronk!