Gabe Carimi Seems Secure Despite Injury

theProf

Gabe Carimi seems secure despite injury

August, 6, 2014 8:55AM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

When the Atlanta Falcons return to practice today, offensive lineman Gabe Carimi will be sidelined with a sprained ankle, as first reported by Fox Sports.

Although the severity of Carimi's injury remains unclear, he has already made a strong impression. The former first-round draft pick of Chicago seems to be over the knee injuries that plagued him with the Bears. He has displayed toughness throughout training camp, as evident from his fight with outside linebacker Stansly Maponga that was captured on HBO's "Hard Knocks."

More than anything, Carimi has shown versatility. Offensive line coach Mike Tice said he has been impressed with how Carimi has handled playing both guard spots as well as right tackle. But as a backup guard is where Carimi will help the Falcons the most. Once he gets his hands on the opponent, it's tough for the opposition to get by him. Carimi's 6-foot-7-inch, 316-pound frame certainly helps his cause.

Tice coached Carimi in Chicago, and Carimi had his best success with the Bears at guard after failing at both tackle spots.

Based on Tice's assessment, likely swing-tackle candidate Ryan Schraeder and Carimi have been the best of the backup offensive linemen. Tackle Lamar Holmes has steadily improved since the start of camp, and guard Harland Gunn has had moments in one-on-one drills but allowed a few sacks in full-team drills during a joint scrimmage with the Tennessee Titans.

Tice should get a true measure of the progress of his line and his depth when the Falcons host the Miami Dolphins in exhibition play Friday night.

this is what I most want to see. How are the back-ups doing, who is quality depth on the back end. At some point, a starter will get hurt, and we have to be able to plug and play.

Also, I would say we need to reserve judgment on Holmes/Konz till after this training camp. Lets see what Tice can do with them for a whole training camp. He may take their clay and re-mold it into something that resembles an NFL offensive lineman.

Carimi's knee is the area of concern, and if that is healed and strong, then he needs to be on the final 53. As for Holmes and Konz, I think it will become evident what should be done with them by the time TC is wrapping up. I'm honestly hoping they both get canned because I don't see either of them as NFL caliber players in mind, body or spirit.

Same here.

I'm really interested to watch Gunn, Holmes, and Konz this weekend against Miami. I feel like Carimi and Schraeder are both locks for the Final 53, so we'll probably only keep 2 of Gunn/Holmes/Konz -- who's gonna be the odd man out?

I think the odd man out depends on the seriousness of Carimi's injury.. Seeing as he is a back up guard & RT if he's gonna be fine... no need to keep Holmes then. Unfortunately Konz will stay because who else is backing up Hawley

I think the odd man out depends on the seriousness of Carimi's injury.. Seeing as he is a back up guard & RT if he's gonna be fine... no need to keep Holmes then. Unfortunately Konz will stay because who else is backing up Hawley

Have you already forgotten about Stone the Magnificent so soon?

Don't forget these knee issues happened when he got cheap spotted by a Saints defender during the bountygate period. Tore his kneecap just about clean off with a cheap shot.

If this kid can get back from pre-torn up knee level we got a **** of a steal.

Wonder how much the. Saint defender was paid to take Carimi out for the game, and perhaps career?

"Tackle Lamar Holmes has steadily improved since the start of camp"

Forget Carimi, this excerpt interests me most. I've been very curious as to how Holmes is looking but haven't heard or seen much at all. I have heard he actually came to camp in somewhat good shape, which to me was by far the most important thing regarding this dude. I think he can be solid if in shape.

Don't forget these knee issues happened when he got cheap spotted by a Saints defender during the bountygate period. Tore his kneecap just about clean off with a cheap shot.

Wonder how much the. Saint defender was paid to take Carimi out for the game, and perhaps career?

He got a Stained Super Bowl ring. It's like getting caught in baseball for steroids after you get your $100 million contract. If you get caught after you were rewarded, it was worth it. God forbid you should have to do it with a level playing field.

Carimi's knee is the area of concern, and if that is healed and strong, then he needs to be on the final 53. As for Holmes and Konz, I think it will become evident what should be done with them by the time TC is wrapping up. I'm honestly hoping they both get canned because I don't see either of them as NFL caliber players in mind, body or spirit.

Konz and Holmes need to be working at Dunkin Donuts not playing for a professional football team

Wonder how bad Gabe would like to get some snaps against the Saints this year? :)

"Tackle Lamar Holmes has steadily improved since the start of camp"

Forget Carimi, this excerpt interests me most. I've been very curious as to how Holmes is looking but haven't heard or seen much at all. I have heard he actually came to camp in somewhat good shape, which to me was by far the most important thing regarding this dude. I think he can be solid if in shape.

Established bias is what will cause that excerpt you quoted to be overlooked.