John Clayton's Take On The Titan's After He Watched Our Dual Workout (Snippets About Falcons)

IceFalcon

Here's the link to the entire article: http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp14/story/_/id/11311542/tennessee-titans-showing-toughness-camp

Some good/funny things were said about the Falcon's by the Professor John Clayton. I'm copying and pasting the relevant information about the Falcons below:

• Tennessee Titans safety Bernard Pollard was infuriated when Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman ran over and through Titans safety George Wilson.
    The rules of engagement for this dual practice were no fighting, and running backs were not to finish runs. Fortunately, Wilson wasn't hurt, but Pollard considered Freeman's run excessive. For several minutes, Pollard kept verbally jabbing at Falcons offensive players, saying the team was a pretender. He wouldn't stop.

• O-line could be one of the best: For years, former Titans coach Jeff Fisher had solid offensive lines coached by Hall of Famer Mike Munchak. But inevitably, age and attrition started eating away at the talent and production, leaving left tackle Michael Roos as the only strong survivor. In the past two years, though, general manager Ruston Webster has brought in strong reinforcements. Last year, he signed the top guard in free agency, Andy Levitre, and used a first-round pick on Chance Warmack. In March, he spent $20 million (over four years) for right tackle Michael Oher, and made Taylor Lewan a first-round pick. At center is 318-pound Brian Schwenke, a fourth-round pick in 2013.
    That overhaul could qualify Webster for one of those house-repair reality shows. As thin as offensive lines are around the NFL, imagine the Titans going into the season with Lewan, a potential star, on the bench. The improvements on the Falcons' defensive line were noticeable in Monday's workout, but what was more apparent is how well the Titans' line handled those rushes.

I know it's not much, but it's a slow news day. That first part was pretty funny I thought, and explains why Pollard was going off yesterday. Good for Freeman.

I really like what he's saying about our D-Line in that second snippet. He's pretty much calling the Titan's O-Line one of the best, if not THE best, in the league and was saying how noticeable our D-Line improvements were.

Here's the link to the entire article: http://espn.go.com/n...-toughness-camp

Some good/funny things were said about the Falcon's by the Professor John Clayton. I'm copying and pasting the relevant information about the Falcons below:

• Tennessee Titans safety Bernard Pollard was infuriated when Atlanta Falcons running back Devonta Freeman ran over and through Titans safety George Wilson.
    The rules of engagement for this dual practice were no fighting, and running backs were not to finish runs. Fortunately, Wilson wasn't hurt, but Pollard considered Freeman's run excessive. For several minutes, Pollard kept verbally jabbing at Falcons offensive players, saying the team was a pretender. He wouldn't stop.
  • O-line could be one of the best: For years, former Titans coach Jeff Fisher had solid offensive lines coached by Hall of Famer Mike Munchak. But inevitably, age and attrition started eating away at the talent and production, leaving left tackle Michael Roos as the only strong survivor. In the past two years, though, general manager Ruston Webster has brought in strong reinforcements. Last year, he signed the top guard in free agency, Andy Levitre, and used a first-round pick on Chance Warmack. In March, he spent $20 million (over four years) for right tackle Michael Oher, and made Taylor Lewan a first-round pick. At center is 318-pound Brian Schwenke, a fourth-round pick in 2013.
    That overhaul could qualify Webster for one of those house-repair reality shows. As thin as offensive lines are around the NFL, imagine the Titans going into the season with Lewan, a potential star, on the bench. The improvements on the Falcons' defensive line were noticeable in Monday's workout, but what was more apparent is how well the Titans' line handled those rushes.

I know it's not much, but it's a slow news day. That first part was pretty funny I thought, and explains why Pollard was going off yesterday. Good for Freeman.

I really like what he's saying about our D-Line in that second snippet. He's pretty much calling the Titan's O-Line one of the best, if not THE best, in the league and was saying how noticeable our D-Line improvements were.

What a baby.

I was just hoping for a quick turn around no safety or pass rush means a quick exit out of the playoffs

You never know who might get cut before the season starts - and you never know if Starr/Biermann/Mass break out.

If Mass turns into a 10 sack guy and Biermann a 6-7 sack guy we will be good. I know Worrilow and High Top Jop will probably pull in at least 2 each

I really do like the good comments that Clayton had about the Titans offensive line. I've for a while said that the Titans OL is a very stout group and that's one reason I stopped what I was doing yesterday (which was important) to make my way to practice even if I did have to miss the 1st hour. Again, I really like Clayton's comment about the Titans offensive line.

I like his comments because our run defense looked pretty darn good for the most part. Soliai and TJax are definitely making their presence known. Stopping the run is part of the equation.

Our pass rush at times wasn't there but at other times it was there and either way our guys were going against one of the top offensive lines in the league IMO.

Right now in regards of our defense from what I have personally seen this is how I would rate a few aspects of our defense:

--Run Defense: 8/10

--Pass Rush: 6/10

--Intermediate Coverage: 5/10 because we still have trouble with those darn tight ends in the middle of the field.

The defense definitely needs improvement but at least there's already been a ton of progress since last year.

so our espn guy tweets everything and makes it sound like we're kicking butt, and theirs does the same thing for their fans. Nice to see a report from someone who's unbiased, although to me he makes it sound like we're not doing as well as mcclure is saying we are. If there's any media guy I'd at least give an ear to, John Clayton is one of the few.

the last few days it's seemed like McClure has read through the boards and see where we complain about not getting enough info on injuries, so he's tweeting about EVERYTHING. That's not necessarily a good thing either, LOL

Edited by papachaz

He was on the SB team. He was released during the offseason after. He knocked Ridley out in the AFCCG. I think he was cut basically because of his attitude.

He was cut to pay Flaccos ongoing wage. They wanted to keep him but he was a salary cap casualty. He wasn't the only one post Super Bowl cap purge

And yet he didn't do anything after his guy got trucked.

it's probably was the main contributor to the huge scrum they had with Pollard and one of their CBs in the middle of it...

ya guys have to try not to be so sensitive lol...it was a heated practice, ish gets talked all day from both sides...be happy we handled business at the end of the day though

You can't get overly concerned over the failure of the defense to do very much this quickly. Plugging up the run defense is at least a good first step. But at some point, this defense is going to have to start demonstrating an ability to get to the QB, and get there on a consistent basis on critical third down conversion plays. Unless and until we can pressure the QB, we aren't going to get where we want to go.

so our espn guy tweets everything and makes it sound like we're kicking butt, and theirs does the same thing for their fans. Nice to see a report from someone who's unbiased, although to me he makes it sound like we're not doing as well as mcclure is saying we are. If there's any media guy I'd at least give an ear to, John Clayton is one of the few.

the last few days it's seemed like McClure has read through the boards and see where we complain about not getting enough info on injuries, so he's tweeting about EVERYTHING. That's not necessarily a good thing either, LOL

I'd have to disagree. What I heard coming out of the scrimmage was that our Oline held up great in pass protection in 11-on-11 and was hard to judge in run blocking without tackling and Matthews got tired at the end

And that our Dline looked good in the run game and not so good in pass rush but still managed to flush Locker out the pocket

Clayton's report seems to mimic what was reported here