Cam's Huddle Up Series: Episode 1

Looks like it's gonna be a cool little series. Looking forward to episode 2 where it goes into his days where he lost his scholarship and started back at rock bottom at Blinn College... then won the national championship. Then went to Auburn and won another. Always thought Cam's college career and pre/post draft time made for an interesting story.

Also awesome how he dedicates that much time with those kids to give them an opportunity to better themselves, or at the very least keep them occupied doing something positive for a while. He's really hands-on and into his whole youth football tournament things.

WFW likes what he's hearing. This puts the meows QB one rung higher up the ladder for WFW

cat_burglar.jpg

Cam even got one of his biggest haters, Peter King, to come around to the light.

Seems like all that manufactured media Cam character assassination has finally just about died out. Never thought I'd see the day (not this soon anyways) where egotistical pompous azz Peter King wrote something like this (even if he still comes across a bit smug in it).

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — “Can I see you for a couple of minutes before you leave today?”

I looked up, and it was Cam Newton speaking. From my seat in the lobby of the Wofford College student union, just outside the cafeteria that the Carolina Panthers use at training camp here, I was a bit taken aback. It was the first time Newton had spoken to me since Feb. 22, 2011, when he told me in a telephone interview, “I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon,” and I reported it. Newton thought it was a cheap shot for me to report it—more about that in a minute—and so we’d gone into radio silence whenever I was around him since, which wasn’t that often.

This item is about the maturation of a person and a player, and about something I don’t recall ever experiencing covering the league.

Newton finished a press conference with the local media 15 or 20 minutes after he approached me initially, and when he finished, I was waiting outside the room. Steven Drummond of the Carolina PR staff found us a room, an auditorium the team uses for meetings at Wofford. He closed the door, and Newton and I stood there together. I wasn’t taking notes in our 20 minutes together, but I remember a lot of what he said.

He got right to the point. He said most of the people close to him wanted him to never speak to me again. Ignore me. I was one of the haters, so don’t deal with me; just deal with the media who were either fair—in their minds—or consistently supportive. “But I am my own person,” he said. “I think for myself. I make my own decisions. I decided I wanted to talk to you to see if we could work this out. I don’t want to walk the other way every time I see you. That’s not what a man does.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2...ers-maturation/

Edited by Luke Nukem
  • 2 weeks later...