Falcons Are Gushing Over Matthews’ Start To Camp

Quarterback

http://www.ajc.com/n...-to-camp/ngtWb/

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Falcons rookie right tackle Jake Matthews is continuing to draw raves.

Peter King, the editor of TheMMQB.com, is making his rounds to different training camps around the league. He was here last week.

King chatted about his top three thoughts on SiriusXM NFL radio this morning. His second item was on the Falcons and the size of their offensive and defensive lines.

“A quick little picture in my practice day with the Falcons: Jake Matthews (was) in the two-minute drill (and) playing right tackle. “(He) stoned the pass rusher on seven consecutive hurry-up snaps in the two-minute drill. Let me tell you, when the Falcons saw that, they said, ‘We haven’t seen this in years. A right tackle who could actually stop people.

Nice!smile.png

Edited by Quarterback

If Baker can keep his s*** together this season, we could be looking at an offensive powerhouse

I'm not counting on it honestly... I have high hopes for Dez but I really wish we would've taken another Tackle in the 3rd round. We could've held off on saftey until the next draft.

“(He) stoned the pass rusher on seven consecutive hurry-up snaps in the two-minute drill. Let me tell you, when the Falcons saw that, they said, ‘We haven’t seen this in years. A right tackle who could actually stop people.

I know I'm just a simple cave-man Falcons fan, but why wouldn't you put just about everything you had into the lines and get several folks like this? Any decent receiver can get open with time, and any decent corner back can cover if you pressure on the QB. There's just no excuse for saying "we haven't seen this in years."

I know I'm just a simple cave-man Falcons fan, but why wouldn't you put just about everything you had into the lines and get several folks like this? Any decent receiver can get open with time, and any decent corner back can cover if you pressure on the QB. There's just no excuse for saying "we haven't seen this in years."

Agreed. You build a strong house from a brick and mortar foundation, not sand. Then and only then do you add the interior components to form a complete house. We went for the decorations (skill positions) first...

I said at the beginning of the draft process that Matthews was going to "drop" because he did everything well but was boring. And here we are, he's doing absolutely everything well.

Its very very possible that Matthews ends up being the best rookie in this class this year....and one of the best players to come out of the draft.

Here's to hoping we have our Joe Staley/Thomas.

I said at the beginning of the draft process that Matthews was going to "drop" because he did everything well but was boring. And here we are, he's doing absolutely everything well.

Its very very possible that Matthews ends up being the best rookie in this class....and one of the best players to come out of the draft.

Here's to hoping we have our Joe Staley/Thomas.

Love it!

Our DL has size and should be improved but He'll likely see better players on a weekly bases so until he shuts down Charles Johnson or Cam Jordan I wait and see holding his own against this group doesn't mean much because he's not lining up over Hageman or Jackson or Soliai he's getting Starr,Beirman,Osi,Mass and those guys solid player but nothing a starting caliber tackle should struggle with.

Not to mention I believe he should start at LT and not RT but it is what it is and hopefully we got a major upgrade in him and glad to see he's not struggling like a lot of rookies do.

Our DL has size and should be improved but He'll likely see better players on a weekly bases so until he shuts down Charles Johnson or Cam Jordan I wait and see holding his own against this group doesn't mean much because he's not lining up over Hageman or Jackson or Soliai he's getting Starr,Beirman,Osi,Mass and those guys solid player but nothing a starting caliber tackle should struggle with.

Not to mention I believe he should start at LT and not RT but it is what it is and hopefully we got a major upgrade in him and glad to see he's not struggling like a lot of rookies do.

Sorry bro but as long as Baker is healthy no way Matthews should be starting there we don't have another bonified starter at RT.

Edited by Ben Day Hoe