What's The Real Story With Baker?

falcndave

Every report that I read from profession reporters in camp says that he looks strong, healthy, solid, or okay. Several of the camp reports from fans on this board have indicated he is struggling.

I know he is the OL we most love to hate, but is his camp performance really weak, or are we just to the point where we lock in on every mistake without noticing the 5 good plays in better (assuming there are some)?

My overall opinion of Baker is that he is adequate when healthy. I don't have an opinion on Baker this season. As a fan who lives 1,000 miles away I just notice a big contrast between national reporters who have been in FB and fans who have watched the same practices.

It's been a little hard to tell out there (hoping that today's practice with the Titans will reveal some more) so far.

Only notable (good or bad) play that I've seen from Baker is him doing a very nice job at containing an outside speed rush (was from either Osi or Mass) at this past Thursday's practice.

What's funny is that you read multiple places that Baker looks good. Then one idiot radio guy says he's not and everyone here runs with the one negative statement.

I think every bit of skepticism over Sam Baker is warranted. I'm not pulling for him to fail by any means, but I have zero faith in him.

Face facts, at best he's been decent, more often then not he's been injured or just plain bad. The fact we paid him like a probowl LT makes it worse.

I think every bit of skepticism over Sam Baker is warranted. I'm not pulling for him to fail by any means, but I have zero faith in him.

Face facts, at best he's been decent, more often then not he's been injured or just plain bad. The fact we paid him like a probowl LT makes it worse.

There are 17 LTs making more per year than Baker. If he's healthy he's worth his deal. Obviously hes often not though and that is the problem. Still, he's hardly paid like a probowl player.

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=LT

Edited by Return of the Gaucho

The only question, is Baker worth his money...one respectable season and all. Clearly a player benefitting from lack of competition.

No it is not... Someone said that he was being paid like a pro bowl left tackle which is not true...just something someone pulled out of their azz as usual on this MB

I think the 'injured' and 'bad' have always gone hand-in-hand, and his contract is just NFL reality. It's in line with mid-tier starting LTs.

I try to be optimistic. If Baker can stay healthy he's a passable starter. Not great, not lousy, not what anyone wants him to be, but good enough to get the job done. Staying healthy is always the big question and he may just be a placeholder for the Falcons next LT, but I think the OL as currently constituted can rank in the 10-15 area. That's plenty good for now, and Baker can be an integral part of it.

Falcons are 43-18 when Baker starts, 17-18 when he doesn't. He was the starting LT for 2 13 win seasons. Think he's more valuable than people realize.

I think the rest of the Oline was better...good blocking backs. When you know the pressure is only coming from one direction...good for the QB. He's not the Sackmaker for nothing.

Folks forget Baker lost his starting job to Svitek...2011? No mention of getting benched because of injury.

Baker was playing through back issues almost that entire year. It isn't like he was totally healthy and lost his job straight up.

I am not saying he was worth his contract, and I'm not saying he can be relied upon, but if you are going to trash the guy do it for the right reasons. It seems like it is personal with some of you. Is it really that hard to say: when he is healthy he is solid, but he is rarely healthy so giving him that deal was stupid?