Not Worried About Saftey One Bit

Crazy right? But consider this:

Thomas Decoud was the glaring hole in our secondary. Speed and strength couldn't make up for any of his mistakes. To become significantly better at FS we need a player with average ball skills and not afraid of contact. He doesn't have to have blazing speed or be a hard hitter. Simply someone who can be a solid saftey. Just think how many times he was out of position, whiffed on a tackle, never defended a pass and got shied away from contact ( does the play where he let sam bradford run right pass him ring a bell)? He severly underporformed last year and should have been benched mid-season. I do agree that we need talent at that position but seeing that there is no imediate talent in the free agent pool leaves us no choice but to head into the pre season with with what we got. Its not like we have to to replace a Jarius Byrd or a Troy Polumolu, just an extremely sub-par overpaid Saftey.

Also this is not a Thomas Decoud diss thread, but I know that we will be better starting our current safteys.

Yeah......no. This is the NFL we cant just toss anyone back there. I get what you are saying, we dont need a pro bowler but someone decent but you cant sit there and say because of this reason you arent worried.

Trust me I am aware at the lack of talent but I'm not jumping the gun because we don't have any established Safteys. I just believe that the lack of talent that Decoud had can be easily replaced.

Anybody is better than DeCoud. Period. We'll just have to see what transpires as TC goes forward, see how our guys do, and who might become available when cuts start happening. Not that worried about the situation right now because, hey, DeCoud is gone, so by simple subtraction we're in better shape than last year.

Like I said, no matter the situation right now, we are better off without DeCouldn't. McClain may actually end up better back there if he's given a shot.

Being better than Decoud doesn't mean we shouldn't still be worried. Having Decoud last season was like playing with 10 men on defense. We need someone who can make a tackle and save a huge play and occasionally help over the top.

Who does this record belong to?

Collared 368 total tackles (213 solo) with 9.5 tackles for loss, six interceptions, six forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, and one sack in 53 career games at Central Florida. As a senior in 2012, was named the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year and a First Team All-C-USA selection. Finished his career as the Knights all-time leader in tackles among defensive backs and is the just the third player in UCF history to lead the team in tackles three times during his career. Posted 124 total tackles (68 solo) with five tackles for loss, four passes defense, three interceptions, three forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, and three forced fumbles in 2012. Closed out his Black and Gold career by starting his final 49 games and leading the Knights to the C-USA championship game. As a junior in 2011, earned All-C-USA honorable mention honors after starting all 12 games and posting a team-high 81 tackles (39 solo) with 2 three passes defensed and 2.5 tackles for loss. Was a first team All-C-USA performer during his sophomore season in 2010 finishing the season with a team-high 93 tackles (57 solo), five passes defensed, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and one fumble recovery.Appeared in 13 games with nine starts as a true freshman in 2009 and posted 70 tackles (49 solo) with one tackle for loss, one interception, one pass broken up, and one fumble recovery.

The reason I'm concerned is because offenses will attack the most obvious weakness on a defense. Last year, we had many and got gouged by rushing the ball which in turned made our coverage horrible. This year, we shored up considerably on the line, which I think will help the second level immensely. However, if the most obvious way to get to the end zone is to go over the top, we may need a good FS, not just an adequate one.

Anybody is better than DeCoud. Period. We'll just have to see what transpires as TC goes forward, see how our guys do, and who might become available when cuts start happening. Not that worried about the situation right now because, hey, DeCoud is gone, so by simple subtraction we're in better shape than last year.

BINGO!!!