Nolan Concerned About Safety Depth

OC

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/6901/falcons-nolan-concerned-about-safety-depth

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan addressed a variety of topics following Saturday's practice.

One of his primary concerns is the lack of depth at safety in the preseason, considering he would prefer to keep his starters fresh for the regular season. Strong safety William Moore is healthy, but fellow starter Dwight Lowery suffered what head coach Mike Smith said might be a head injury during Friday night's practice.

The Falcons already are down two safeties with Zeke Motta likely out for the season following neck surgery and rookie Dez Southward sidelined at least a week with a left knee injury.

``You don't want to come out of a preseason game where your starter had to play -- say he had to play 50 snaps,'' Nolan said. ``That's not a good way to have a preseason because that wears those guys out. And by the time they get to the regular season, that's not a good thing. So I'm concern for that reason.''

Players such as Kemal Ishmael and Sean Baker will get longer looks at safety if the injuries to Lowery and Southward linger. Kimario McFadden is another guy in the group.

``And Kemal's had a good camp,'' Nolan said. ``Kemal's done a nice job. ... He's made some a good strides from a year ago. I know he's (10 pounds) lighter and he's moving a lot better. He's one of the guys that's been able to take advantage of some of the things with the front line being a little stouter, just from the standpoint of coming up and closing the gap. Baker has also stepped up his game.

``All of those guys from last year were kind of just young guys running around or new to our system. Kemal and Baker have made some good strides. I'm kind of excited to see what they do.''

Nolan, of course, would prefer to start the season with Moore and Lowery as the starting safeties.

``He's in the right place more often than not,'' Nolan said. ``And he's been making some plays. He's a very athletic guy. He's got good size. Our two safeties look good. If nothing else, they look good getting off the bus.''

Tough spot here. Do you bring in another vet safety or stick with the young guys we got and hope Lowery can stay healthy?

Looks like we better get the young guys ready quick as well as Arenas.

Stick with the young guys through training camp. A veteran safety will pop open before game one if needed.

hope Lowery's head related injury doesn't linger.. we need him healthy

maybe waiting for other teams to start trimming the fat

But like we only had 5 safetys in camp to start with that I know of, now down to 3 healthy ones... like the article said we just at least need a body for camp....like one poster said, Arenas may start to get some looks there...

It seems he's only concerned about getting these guys through preseason without having to play guys too much......On the plus side, he seems to have confidence in the guys we have on the roster. If Ishmael or Baker have to see time in the real season, it doesn't seem to be too, too big of a concern.

Southward should be back for preseason game one.....plenty of time to see what we have with him, depth wise.

Safety is scary!

Biggest ? mark on the team right now bar none. If Lowery had a tissue injury or something would not be too bad but when they said " head " injury in our very first real scrimmage, I'm like WTF ? I mean, Lowery and " head injury " should not be in the same sentence. We got to face the fact that neither him, Baker or Sjax will make 16 games....hopefully Ryan, JJ and RW WILL ....unsure.png

Biggest ? mark on the team right now bar none. If Lowery had a tissue injury or something would not be too bad but when they said " head " injury in our very first real scrimmage, I'm like WTF ? I mean, Lowery and " head injury " should not be in the same sentence. We got to face the fact that neither him, Baker or Sjax will make 16 games....hopefully Ryan, JJ and RW WILL ....unsure.png

We'll know more on Sunday when Smith said he'll comment more on Lowery's injury. Fingers crossed it's not too bad. If he ends up having a bad concussion so much for his promise to get some retaliation on Tate. He will probably just end up the one being hurt if he tries to. :(

We'll know more on Sunday when Smith said he'll comment more on Lowery's injury. Fingers crossed it's not too bad. If he ends up having a bad concussion so much for his promise to get some retaliation on Tate. He will probably just end up the one being hurt if he tries to. sad.png

I guess it is a blessing to find out early that one more good tap on the crown is gonna finish him. TD and company should be looking to take emergency action at this point, I'm not trying to be doom, and I hope he gets cleared and we have good news Sunday. But the time to prepare for life without him is NOW, I don't want to throw Southward out there way too quik.....unsure.png

I guess it is a blessing to find out early that one more good tap on the crown is gonna finish him. TD and company should be looking to take emergency action at this point, I'm not trying to be doom, and I hope he gets cleared and we have good news Sunday. But the time to prepare for life without him is NOW, I don't want to throw Southward out there way too quik.....unsure.png

Yeah I said something similar last night. It's better we find this out now rather than in actual season where it's kind of too late. I also believe throwing Southward out there too early and unprepared might be devastating for him. This FS debacle has me really worried.

There's no doubt TD will sign a vet as camps start making their cuts, some teams may be a lot deeper at safety and in the numbers game we may snag a vet. With all the safeties flying off the draft board, TD reached for Southward, who many had as a 5th or 6th rounder, I hope he turns out great but there's gotta be somebody better around the league. You know TD will get somebody, a trade would not be out of the question at this point, we can't go with what have.