Jacques Smith Thoughts And Input Requested From Tc Attendees

MSalmon

I couldn't go to training camp, but am fascinated by Jacques Smith. So I did the only thing that I could do and watched every game and you tube of him. I'm finding him intriguing because of the following things:

1) UT was really bad. Their entire defense seemed in disciplined and poorly coached

2) he's got good game speed and a great motor

3) he's strong

3) he's very close to big game plays on a poor defense

4) he played us disciplined like the rest of the UT defense and had poor technique and use of hands

I noticed those things from his "tape" but I also noticed an athletic, strong guy who if he takes to coaching could be a find.

He also looks like a Nolan OLB. Stout, quick twitch and vicious.

Also McCullers really sucked, I noticed. He's big but didn't occupy anything or get a push. Glad we didn't grab his big butt.

Researching UT I noticed they switched schemes on him.

Anyone who went to TC want to discuss him?

Quite a few are hoping he is the real deal - another Joplo or War. Personally I think quality undrafted FA are extremely rare and hitting on two last year was more a$$ than class. I think pass rush comes next year and we rely on solid contributions from KB and Osi and improved play from Mass, Maponga etc. but ill reserve full judgement till I've seen more of him in action.

Quite a few are hoping he is the real deal - another Joplo or War. Personally I think quality undrafted FA are extremely rare and hitting on two last year was more a$$ than class. I think pass rush comes next year and we rely on solid contributions from KB and Osi and improved play from Mass, Maponga etc. but ill reserve full judgement till I've seen more of him in action.

Thanks. I have no clue how he'll turn out

the big question is if he's good enough How do you find room for him?

they keep about 15 front 7 on the active roster

of those about 5/6 are LBs -- and the rest DL

IF they change up some this year because of base defense differences --it still won't change those numbers much

so look to keep 5/6 maybe 7 LBs out of the 14 on the roster now

NOTE this is just a list ----not intended as a position or depth chart

Mass, Angerer, Starr, Daley

Worr Dobbins Spruill May

Bartu Shembo Smallwood

Bierman, Maponga, J Smith

I did not list Osi as an LB

IF they change up some this year because of base defense differences --it still won't change those numbers much

Worr Dobbins Spruill May

Bartu Shembo Smallwood

D line:

Babs

Soliai

Jackson

Peters (hopefully/presumably)

Osi

Mass

Kroy

T Rob

Goodman

Maponga

Hageman

LB:

Worr

Jop

Shembo

Angerer (maybe)

^^^^these are the guys that seem surefire locks, I think? With the hybrid, I put Osi, Kroy and others who might play OLB as D-line. Jacques' best chance may be displacing Angerer?

Edited by NOVAFalconFan

Worr Dobbins Spruill May

Bartu Shembo Smallwood

I used the 2011 Dolphins depth chart as a possible template. Keep in mind the "LBs" were often hybrid and played with their hand in the dirt as well. Similarly many listed DEs, played DT as well. So please don't turn this into a 34 vs 43 argument. The 2011 dolphins ran multiple schemes like we do. Here is the final 2011 dolphin defensive roster:

Line backers (8)

Ikaika Alama-Francis OLB (sub Massaqui )

Kevin Burnett ILB (sub Shembo)

Karlos Dansby ILB (sub Worrilow)

Marvin Mitchell ILB (Sub Bartu)

Austin Spitler ILB (? )

Jason Taylor OLB (Sub Osi)

Jason Trusnik OLB (?)

Cameron Wake OLB (sub Biermann)

DEFENSIVE LINE (7)

Ryan Baker DE/NT (sub T. Robertson or Peters)

Kendall Langford DE (Sub Babs)

Tony McDaniel DE (?)

Phillip Merling DE (sub Goodman)

Jared Odrick DE (Sub Hageman)

Randy Starks DE (Sub Tyson Jackson)

Paul Soliai NT (same)

Note that Trusnik and Spitler were core STeam guys.

Taylor, Wake and Ikaika Alama-Francis were obviously 3 guys who played 43 DE with no problem. So Osi, Kroy and Mass make sense as comparisons.

Burnett, Dansby and Mitchell were more traditional LBs that could play ILB in 34, but also play various positions in 43. Dansby is a great SLB in 43 and Burnett could play both the mike and WLB spot.

On the DL Merling was equally suited as both a 5 tech or as 43 LDE. He was a lot like a Goodman in size and skill set.

What's interesting is our collection of players are very similar in skill sets and sizes.

So using the 11 Phins as a baseline I see at least 3 open spots. 2 in LB corps and 1 in DL rotation. But here's where it gets tricky. The spots could be manned by either a OLB/DE hybrid, a DT/DE type. Or we could carry more ILB types since Shembo can fill multiple roles. What confounds me is we have the following guys who have legit shots at making the roster:

Smallwood ILB

Spruill ILB

Dobbins ILB

Starr OLB/DE

Maponga OLB/DE

J. Smith OLB/DE

Corey Peters DT/DE

What gets even crazier is we moved up for Spruill in draft, so you almost think he's guaranteed a spot. We acquired Dobbins who's a STs ace (as is Spruill). So unless Bartu's position is up for grabs it's almost safe to pencil those two on the roster.

So Smallwood is probably headed to the PS.

But peters is interesting. Do we keep him if Robertson has really emerged? So let's say we move on from a Peters due to his injury setting him back, does that final spot come down to the winner of Starr, Maponga or possibly J. Smith?

He has the raw ability to have been great in college but never had a decent coach. Tennessee's defense ranked approximately 110 under Sal Sunseri and never in the top 25. I watched him make several wow plays through his college career but he was never ever consistent. He would go games without doing anything worth mentioning to suddenly make an all american like play.

He was either A: never coached properly by any of the at least 3 defensive coordinators he played for or B: isn't fundamentally sound at the game of football and is just a freak physical specimen and nothing more. Preseason will tell.

He has the raw ability to have been great in college but never had a decent coach. Tennessee's defense ranked approximately 110 under Sal Sunseri and never in the top 25. I watched him make several wow plays through his college career but he was never ever consistent. He would go games without doing anything worth mentioning to suddenly make an all american like play.

He was either A: never coached properly by any of the at least 3 defensive coordinators he played for or B: isn't fundamentally sound at the game of football and is just a freak physical specimen and nothing more. Preseason will tell.

I saw the same things. It'll be interesting how it plays out