A Couple Tidbits Of Info On Levine Toilolo.

Macintez

I've known about Toilolo since the beginning of Luck's awesome collegiate campaign. I remember playing NCAA 11 Football on my PlayStation 3 (Before it YLOD'ed on me) and upon seeing that Stanford had two HUGE freshmen TE's with athleticism and star potential in the game, I decided to do a lil' research.

I learned their names were Coby Fleener and Levine Toilolo.

Of the two TE's, Levine was the higher rated (I can't remember rating) and the more heavily recruited. Jim Harbaugh wanted to feature him in the offense more than Fleener. Unfortunately, Toilolo tore his ACL early in his freshmen year which lead to Fleener being featured.

Harbaugh left and Toilolo never earned his spot back.

Now, did that mean Toilolo sucked? Not in my opinion. Fleener was a good TE with as much height and athleticism as Toilolo, and since Luck already developed a rapport with Fleener, it wouldn't have made since for David Shaw to mess up their chemistry by forcing Toilolo back into the starting lineup (Fleener was Luck's favorite target for the majority of collegiate career). Still, Shaw knew he would've been a fool not to take advantage of two huge, athletic TE's, so Toilolo was given the chance to make a few plays, catching 6 TD's in what would be Luck's final season at Stanford.

The departure of Luck after the 12' season lead to Josh Nunes being the starting QB. Now it's safe to say Nunes isn't on the level of Luck, but Toilolo was able to make a few nice plays, showing his speed and run after catch ability. Toilolo isn't as fast as Gronkowski, but I would be cool with that as long as he can stay on the field. I still think he's underrated by members on the board who haven't done their due diligence.

(Pay special attention after the 22 second mark)

https://www.youtube....FCww Â

Of all the new starters that we have, Toilolo is the one I want to succeed the most. The guys that call him wheelchair legs have no idea what they're talking about... If a guy his size had tree trunk legs they would be offensive linemen. The fact that Levine is that big and that fast leads me to believe that Koetter will use him more than you think. Keep in mind that Jones and Roddy are still the stars of this team, but I believe Toilolo will catch plenty of teams off guard which will lead to Jones having more opportunities to score in the RZ and increase Ryan's TD total to 37-40 range.

Edited by Macintez

honestly I was gonna post something about Toilolo comparing his pictures from last season to this one, but haven't put it together yet. I really believe he's put on a lot of muscle (I know ppl keep saying this), but when you looked at Gonzo's body you could tell Gonzo had very little body fat and a lot of muscle, he took care of his body, and I believe Toilolo truly truly benefited from working under Gonzo last year. If he can stay injury free, he can really become a great player by just staying consistent and continuing to strengthen himself (his arms are noticebly bigger than last year)

honestly I was gonna post something about Toilolo comparing his pictures from last season to this one, but haven't put it together yet. I really believe he's put on a lot of muscle (I know ppl keep saying this), but when you looked at Gonzo's body you could tell Gonzo had very little body fat and a lot of muscle, he took care of his body, and I believe Toilolo truly truly benefited from working under Gonzo last year. If he can stay injury free, he can really become a great player by just staying consistent and continuing to strengthen himself (his arms are noticebly bigger than last year)

I was noticing his legs. His quads and hammys look pretty dang big this year. I noticed immediately because I thought his legs looked really skinny last year.

I don't think Toilolo is underrated by any means. Toilolo is a work in progress, and he's still got a lot of work to do IMO. He is not nearly as aggressive as he needs to be at the position. Look at the better TE's in the league and you will see good route runners, or guys that find the open areas in a zone D, and guys that fight for the ball when it comes their way. TG was an aggressive TE, that would snatch the ball out of the air and away from defenders. TG found the open spots, and could make really tough catches while contorting his body. I've yet to see Toilolo show any of these qualities. Everyone will say that you can't compare Toilolo to Gonzalez, but if you want a good TE, then TG is the measuring stick in which Toilolo had a chance to work with and learn from. I'm not saying he never will, but he sure didn't show that much last year and unless he has turned into an ultra competitive guy for this season, then I don't really expect much from him other than being a guy who does just enough.

Toilolo does go up high for balls and that is great, but that was the extent of his game last year.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on Toilolo. Saying things like "he didn't show much last year" LOL how many chances did he get with TG on the team? yeah, not enough TO really show much. I think he did what was expected of him. I for one am excited to see TG gone, and thought he should have been gone last year. I think Levine will be fine and do what's expected of him out of the coaching staff, and probably more than most fans and pundits will expect from him

We will all see. The thing is, we have found of third, fourth, and fifth options this season. We don't need Gonzo Jr., just an occasional outlet receiver. It may help him if his targets are fewer because then linebackers will sleep on him and he will have honest coverage and the element of surprise to work with. I'd be happy if he had 50 targets and 32-40 receptions this season.