Dan Reeves Was The Best Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Ever.

@ Tuggle. That is the point. The fans are complacent and these " get by" wins that This incompetent robot has amassed over the years is good enough for some of you on this board. He should have been shown the door after the 2011 Giants play off loss. He'll never take this team to a Super bowl and Blank is wasting the fans time. I mean again a lot of people were happy for the 9-7 season in 2009 just cause it was "back 2 back" winning seasons, says a lot about the majority of this fan base...... low expectations

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mike Smith hate on this board is unbelievable. I've said this before but I'll say it again.....I swear he could take us to the Superbowl and win it all and some of you would still want him fired!

The Front office keeps bring this man talent and he keeps losing big! When you thought that we had hit rock bottom in 2010...2011 was worse! And then came 2013...Now he has more talent and posters are thinking super bowl...The rest of the league is thinking maybe wild card.

What? The bomb to Fitz. The bomb to Boldin. The 60 yards rushing. The three sacks allowed. The two picks Ryan threw. The Cards jumping our snap count all day. Dockett blowing up Dahl and Ryan and Rolle rolling in for the game sealing TD. And of course the infamous 3rd and 16 play. That game was pretty embarrassing.

The rookie GM. The rookie coach. The rookie QB. The big stage. The hostile crowd. The universal expectation that we would win only one or two games. The fact that no GM or coach in the entire history of the NFL has ever gone to a Super Bowl in their inaugural season...

And despite it all, we still pull within six with four minutes to play. If you were embarrassed by that game, you simply weren't being realistic.

@ Tuggle. That is the point. The fans are complacent and these " get by" wins that This incompetent robot has amassed over the years is good enough for some of you on this board. He should have been shown the door after the 2011 Giants play off loss. He'll never take this team to a Super bowl and Blank is wasting the fans time. I mean again a lot of people were happy for the 9-7 season in 2009 just cause it was "back 2 back" winning seasons, says a lot about the majority of this fan base...... low expectations

This isn't about Smith and you still have not stated a single fact as to why you think Reeves was better.

Well even if the fans were actually complacent and are happy with the status quo (which they aren't) it has nothing to do with how the team and or in this case coach perform. Your opinion is yours and I respect that but what some people say on a message board means nothing in the grand scheme of things or the real world. I pay less attention to what fans are saying and more to what I actually see and know about the two different coaches. Getting upset, annoyed, or whatever it is about what people here think just makes little sense to me.

Give me Dan Reeves hands down! People act like he had just one good season here. What about 2002? Falcons had a 3-2 postseason record under Reeves as well. Only Falcons coach ever with a better than .500 winning percentage in the playoffs. Had Blank not been a moron and fired Reeves Falcons would have won a Super Bowl with Vick. Vick had his best season with the Falcons in 2002 with Reeves. Also Reeves knew how to build a good defense. Mike Smith wouldn't know a good defense if it slapped him in the face.

yes because finishing in the bottom 10 in scoring defense has been a norm with Smith!!

OH WAIT , that was Reeves, in the 7 years he coached here Reeves's defenses finished 20th or below FOUR times

25th in 99, 26th in 2000 ,24th in 2001, 30th in 2003

he had one really good year in points allowed which was 98 and 2 pretty good defenses in 97 and 02

Still the bad defenses outweighed the good

Smith on the other hand has had a defense finishing in the top half of the league every year except last year

11th in 08, 14th in 09, 5th in 10, 15th in 11 , 5th in 2012

So yeah maybe you should be smacked in the face with a good defense so you would get an idea of what one is huh??

You opened the door in an earlier post.Who was responsible for the no talent?

It doesn't matter!!!...The only thing that matter is that he won more playoff games with less talent...He went to a superbowl with less talent than all of Smith teams especially the 2010 team that got embarrassed by a wild card team and then by an 9-7 giants team in 2011! Edited by peoriabird

yes because finishing in the bottom 10 in scoring defense has been a norm with Smith!!

OH WAIT , that was Reeves, in the 7 years he coached here Reeves's defenses finished 20th or below FOUR times

he had one really good year in points allowed which was 98 and 2 pretty good defenses in 97 and 02

Smith on the other hand has had a defense finishing in the top half of the league every year except last year

So yeah maybe you should be smacked in the face with a good defense so you would get an idea of what one is huh??

Since when is points given up the only defensive stat there is?

Give me Dan Reeves hands down! People act like he had just one good season here. What about 2002? Falcons had a 3-2 postseason record under Reeves as well. Only Falcons coach ever with a better than .500 winning percentage in the playoffs. Had Blank not been a moron and fired Reeves Falcons would have won a Super Bowl with Vick. Vick had his best season with the Falcons in 2002 with Reeves. Also Reeves knew how to build a good defense. Mike Smith wouldn't know a good defense if it slapped him in the face.

Reeves knew how to build a good defense?

20, 8, 16, 25, 30, 19, 32.

Take a guess what those numbers represent.

And just what is this "Vick had his best season under Reeves" nonsense based on, exactly? He had more wins and a higher completion % in 2004. He threw more TDs in 2006. The fact is, Vick put up essentially the same stat line the whole time he was here. Anyone whose argument is predicated on the notion that an 81 passer rating is significantly better than a 78 or 76 passer rating is someone who has no argument.

Reeves led the Denver Broncos to three Super Bowls, losing each time. Reeves has only two winning seasons in his last nine years....... He however was a Dam good coach but the Smitty era is not over yet......... Hope he comes out on top and that's not a cut to Reeves...... Smitty is only in his 7th year...........

And just what is this "Vick had his best season under Reeves" nonsense based on, exactly? He had more wins and a higher completion % in 2004. He threw more TDs in 2006. The fact is, Vick put up essentially the same stat line the whole time he was here. Anyone whose argument is predicated on the notion that an 81 passer rating is significantly better than a 78 or 76 passer rating is someone who has no argument.

16 TD, only 8 INT, almost 3000 YDS passing in his first full season as an NFL starter in 2002. You don't think he would have continued to get better after that instead of regressing to just 14 TD and 12 INT in 2004 or 15 TD and 13 INT in 2005?

I would definitely argue it's the only one that matters.

Tuggle you don't it doesn't work that way. You know a defense isn't very good if they're 25th in yards allowed but are able to hold teams to field goals inside the red zone instead of touchdowns to where they're 10th in points allowed. I'm sorry but that's not a good defense.

Tuggle you don't it doesn't work that way. You know a defense isn't very good if they're 25th in yards allowed but are able to hold teams to field goals inside the red zone instead of touchdowns to where they're 10th in points allowed. I'm sorry but that's not a good defense.

Well yeah, it isn't some end all be all. Why I said I'd argue it is, not that it most certainly is.

Again, the entire defense/team was in transition from aging veterans like Jessie Tuggle, Lester Archembeau, Chuck Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Eugene Robinson, William White. So while replacing your best players because they are retiring, your defense may not be too good!

No.. The fact the he did it in his 1st year starting is significant and didn't make any progress after Reeves left.

16 TD, only 8 INT, almost 3000 YDS passing in his first full season as an NFL starter in 2002. You don't think he would have continued to get better after that instead of regressing to just 14 TD and 12 INT in 2004 or 15 TD and 13 INT in 2005?

Was there ever a QB remotely like Vick before he took the league by storm in 2002? It was inevitable the league would figure out his game with each passing season. Exact same thing happened in Philly after he took home an NFL playbook for the first time in his career (Never did that under Reeves' tutelage, BTW.) 100 QBR in 2010. Then a predictable reversion to the means with 84 and 78 the following two seasons.

Vick is who he is, and always has been. The idea that Reeves - whose supposed stabilizing influence didn't do one thing to stop his team captain from going out whoring on Super Bowl eve - would have made the slightest difference in the way Vick conducted his life up until 2007 is nothing more than conjecture based on a fantasy.

Was there ever a QB remotely like Vick before he took the league by storm in 2002? It was inevitable the league would figure out his game with each passing season. Exact same thing happened in Philly after he took home an NFL playbook for the first time in his career (Never did that under Reeves' tutelage, BTW.) 100 QBR in 2010. Then a predictable reversion to the means with 84 and 78 the following two seasons.

Vick is who he is, and always has been. The idea that Reeves - whose supposed stabilizing influence didn't do one thing to stop his team captain from going out whoring on Super Bowl eve - would have made the slightest difference in the way Vick conducted his life up until 2007 is nothing more than conjecture based on a fantasy.

Was there ever a QB like Vick before 2002? Is this a serious question? Ever heard of guys named Fran Tarkenton and Randall Cunningham?