Dan Reeves Was The Best Atlanta Falcons Head Coach Ever.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to tell me that there is an NFL franchise whose best ever head coach has a .450 winning percentage and just two postseason appearances in seven seasons, I would tell you, "Wow. That's f*ckin' sad." I'm sure that would be the response of any NFL fan that wasn't a blind homer of said team.

Amazing how much some people value fluke Super Bowl appearances in which the end result was an embarrassing beatdown at the hands of a team that actually had business being there.

How T F did they have no business being there? They finished the 97 season on a 6-2 run, then went 14-2 the next year, knocking off several good teams. They beat down the Niners in the divisional round, then won an NFCCG on the road in OT. They were ranked 4th on both offense and defense in points allowed and were also ranked in the Top 10 in total offense and total defense that year.

It means exactly what I said it means. Smitty>>>>>>regular season. Reeves>>>>>>playoffs.

Smith has Matt Ryan who can beat bad teams in his sleep but Ryan is not enough to beat good teams...He needs help from a coaching staff that doesn't come up with the right answers thus the poor playoff record

I like both of em you clown. I'm saying one is better in the regular season and one is better in the playoffs. That is an indisputable fact. Any questions?

i never said it was wrong to like either, but there is no difference between regular season smith and postseason smith. same with reeves. he was the same coach in the regular season as he was in the postseason.

a lot of people seem to believe that coaches, players, teams, etc...can be special "playoff performers" or "clutch" or whatever else you want to call it. that isnt true. coaches, players, and teams perform the same in the regular season as they do in the postseason. people dont magically change once its playoff time. it just doesnt happen. the point i am trying to make here is that you shouldnt think that smith is a better regular season coach but a worse playoff coach than reeves. he is the same coach in both situations. small samples size records dont change that. the calendar doesnt change the way he prepares his team for a game. in general, playoff records are a small sample of an overall body of work. just because a coach has a run of success or failure in the playoffs, doesnt mean they arent the same coach as they were in the regular season. in the end, they are still playing football. the playoffs doesnt change that. so basically what i am trying to say is that you are entitled to your opinion, but your current stance is very wrong. not because of who you chose, but because of the logic you are using to make your decision

Edited by Truth.

If you were to tell me that there is an NFL franchise whose best ever head coach has a .450 winning percentage and just two postseason appearances in seven seasons, I would tell you, "Wow. That's f*ckin' sad." I'm sure that would be the response of any NFL fan that wasn't a blind homer of said team.

Amazing how much some people value fluke Super Bowl appearances in which the end result was an embarrassing beatdown at the hands of a team that actually had business being there.

i dont completely agree with calling it a fluke super bowl run because that was a very good team, but i agree with your main ideas. i would rather look a coaches (or players) body of work over a small sample size of playoff games. it just makes more sense. you just cant propery judge based off of a few playoff games.

How T F did they have no business being there? They finished the 97 season on a 6-2 run, then went 14-2 the next year, knocking off several good teams. They beat down the Niners in the divisional round, then won an NFCCG on the road in OT. They were ranked 4th on both offense and defense in points allowed and were also ranked in the Top 10 in total offense and total defense that year.

Maybe you need a reminder.

Distractions haunt Falcons in Miami

Published: Tuesday, February 02, 1999

MIAMI (AP) - A guaranteed victory. A dispute at the airport. A key player arrested the night before the biggest game of the season.

All in all, the Atlanta Falcons displayed just about every telling trait of a Super Bowl rookie.

While the Denver Broncos maintained a championship persona all week, the Falcons showed signs of unraveling even before they got off the plane at Miami International Airport.

"It's a huge disappointment," coach Dan Reeves said after the Falcons stumbled to a 34-19 loss to the Broncos on Sunday night. "You get to this game, you do it for one reason - to win. Nobody in our locker room was satisfied with just getting here."

The Falcons, playing in the first Super Bowl of their 33-year history, had managed to stay one step ahead of their sorry past all season. But it finally caught up with them in South Florida.

Broadway Ray Buchanan got things started by guaranteeing a victory - Joe Namath-style - during the off-week before the game. Nothing like a little bulletin-board material to fire up a team that already was the defending champion and determined to send John Elway into retirement with another Super Bowl triumph.

"The less you say, the less you have to take back," Reeves said. "I'd rather let the game speak for itself. But I would never tell someone what they can and cannot say."

Buchanan refused to back down. In fact, he kept up his war of words in the days leading up the game, the most memorable bit of verbosity coming when he proclaimed that Denver tight end Shannon Sharpe looked like a horse.

"I'm not going to apologize," Buchanan said. "I had the guarantee and the confidence that this football team could win. There was no doubt in my mind. I'll never take that back."

Well, it really doesn't matter at this point. The Broncos built a 31-6 lead before the Falcons scored a couple of meaningless touchdowns to make the score a bit more respectable for the history books.

When the team arrived in Miami, receiver Terance Mathis raised a ruckus over Reeves' request that Pro Bowl players and 10-year veterans be allowed to depart the plane first. Mathis said the team concept should come first, not individual achievements.

For good measure, Mathis picked Super Bowl week to talk about a past drinking problem.

But Buchanan and Mathis became mere bit players in the Falcons' soap opera when Eugene Robinson decided to take a drive the night before the game.

Police said the Pro Bowl safety - known as the Prophet for his strong religious beliefs and Bible-thumping recitations - was arrested for offering an undercover officer $40 for oral sex on Biscayne Boulevard, a major street frequented by prostitutes and drug dealers.

Robinson was released from jail at 11 p.m. Saturday, but spent the entire night praying and being consoled by teammates. Without any sleep, he started the Super Bowl and was burned on the biggest play of the night - an 80-yard touchdown pass to Rod Smith late in the first half.

While maintaining his innocence, Robinson was contrite at an extraordinary post-game news conference.

"What I want to do now is apologize first to my Lord, Jesus Christ, secondly to my wife and kids, and thirdly to my teammates and the entire Falcons organization for the distraction that I may have caused them," he said. "I regret I was not maintaining the standards I have set for myself.

"I will have to continue, trust me, to make amends with everyone that knows me."

As it turned out, Buchanan provided one of the most prophetic acts of the week when he showed up at media day with a dog collar around his neck, supposedly to signify the Falcons' role as underdog.

In the Super Bowl, they simply played like dogs.

Does that sound like a championship team to you? Take the homer glasses off and look at it objectively. The '98 team is nothing but an embarrassing footnote in the annuls of Super Bowl history. Our claim to fame is a silly dance that everyone appropriately mocks, as well as being the only team to appear in the big game while posting losing records both the season before and the season after. As in, the ONLY. EVER. That's the very definition of fluke.

Edited by cooperbh

Reeves then coaches an unpolished Michael Vick in his 1st year starting to the playoffs and then proceeds to beat Green Bay in Greenbay!

Please tell me what particular coaching Vick received from Reeves.

"Uh, Mike, uh... you know that thing you do where you unleash your freakish, unprecedented talent on an unsuspecting league? Yeah, keep doing that."

Give me a break. By his own admission, Vick didn't become coachable until he met Andy Reid coming off time served at Leavenworth.

Maybe you need a reminder.

Does that sound like a championship team to you? Take the homer glasses off and look at it objectively. The '98 team is nothing but an embarrassing footnote in the annuls of Super Bowl history. Our claim to fame is a silly dance that everyone appropriately mocks, as well as being the only team to appear in the big game while posting losing records both the season before and the season after. As in, the ONLY. EVER. That's the very definition of fluke.

Yeah like I've said a bunch in this thread. Getting to and losing a Super Bowl doesn't wow me in the slightest. Like it seems to everyone else. Especially when every other year we were pretty much garbage.

Please tell me what particular coaching Vick received from Reeves.

"Uh, Mike, uh... you know that thing you do where you unleash your freakish, unprecedented talent on an unsuspecting league? Yeah, keep doing that."

Give me a break. By his own admission, Vick didn't become coachable until he met Andy Reid coming off time served at Leavenworth.

Highest quarterback rating as a Falcon under Reeves @ 81.6

Yeah like I've said a bunch in this thread. Getting to and losing a Super Bowl doesn't wow me in the slightest. Like it seems to everyone else. Especially when every other year we were pretty much garbage.

The amazing thing about our Superbowl run was that we beat teams that were much more talented than us like the 49'er and then the best team in football the Vikings.

The amazing thing about our Superbowl run was that we beat teams that were much more talented than us like the 49'er and then the best team in football the Vikings.

I loved that year, don't get me wrong. It just doesn't wow me at all like it does so many others. I am not a huge Smith fan but I easily pick him as our best coach. He's brought a competitive team out every year since he's been here minus one. That impresses me much more than losing a SuperBowl one year while the rest were pretty much sucked.

Highest quarterback rating as a Falcon under Reeves @ 81.6

And when he started out the 2002 season he was the last starter in the league without an INT. Deep into the season.

And Tuggle you forgetting the 2002 season?

Reeves is retired. His legacy is complete. Lest not forget he led three different teams to multiple Bowls and four differrent teams to the playoffs.

Smitty is still working on his legacy. If he steps on his weenie again it could be over in about six months.

But winning a bunch of regular season games and only one divisional round game in a squeaker in the final minute means more? Hmmmm. OK.

I loved that year, don't get me wrong. It just doesn't wow me at all like it does so many others. I am not a huge Smith fan but I easily pick him as our best coach. He's brought a competitive team out every year since he's been here minus one. That impresses me much more than losing a SuperBowl one year while the rest were pretty much sucked.

This team is more competitive each year because of more players in their prime that were better than the players on the Reeve's coached teams. Chandlier was not a franchise quarterback sorry! plus he was old in '98 already anyway and on his way out of the league. So when you have no talent in their prime that will be with the club for a number of years, you won't have sustained success period. That has nothing to do with coaching! Edited by peoriabird

i dont completely agree with calling it a fluke super bowl run because that was a very good team, but i agree with your main ideas. i would rather look a coaches (or players) body of work over a small sample size of playoff games. it just makes more sense. you just cant propery judge based off of a few playoff games.

The 2006 13-3 Chicago Bears were a very good team. Doesn't make them championship game material. They arrived there much in the same manner as the '98 Falcons - easy schedule and some fortunate breaks in the postseason. On the big stage, however, they were exposed as pretenders, just like the Falcons.

At the end of the day, nobody outside of homer Bears and Falcons fans gives either team a passing thought. As well they shouldn't.